Status
Not open for further replies.

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
One of the hubcaps on my 2004 Camry XLE is missing. I don't know if it was stolen or just fell off. I'd like to think the latter, since it wasn't in great shape to begin with. Anyways I need a new one now, and I know little to nothing about car maintenance. It appears as though these new hubcaps just "Snap-on" and don't require a lot of removing/adding of parts. Would I be better off just ordering a hubcap from online like with eBay or a reputable shop and trying to install it myself, or am I better off just having my auto repair guy get it and install it himself?

I don't know if it'd be much cheaper getting it from somewhere online versus having the repair guy get one, or if he has one available in stock. He's a pretty good guy, so I wouldn't anticipate him charging some crazy labor fee if it is a quick job.

Ebay or a local bone-yard would be my two recommendations.

W/o seeing how your Camry looks, I'm guessing the rims are similar to my Solara (think of a 2-door Camry). And as such they're fairly easy to pop in and out (yes..have had to do it a few times).

If you drive a "regular route", do it again slowly with someone riding shotgun and looking along the side of the road. Your old one might turn up that way. Here in PA, potholes along the berm claim many wheel covers! They usually roll-off into the brush. If it's private property and the owner found the cover, you might see it propped-up against a fence post or mail box, etc.

We have some "dealers" in the rural areas, you know, those sheds with 100s of covers on display. You might want to find one of them nearby. Those entrepreneurs probably got the caps/covers on display from around the aforementioned potholes. (Mighta even dug those holes themselves!) If you find a match you can surely negotiate a lower price than what they're asking.

Most can be pounded back on with a rubber-headed mallet or the heel of your hand...

A used hubcap is far more likely to resemble the other three than new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts