Getting into HD Want To Know A Good Receiver To Get

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JoeRoastbeef

Original poster
Sep 23, 2006
Hey Guy's,
I'm looking to pick up an HD receiver I been on Ebay and I'm looking at the Samsung SIR-TS360,the LG LSS-3200A,and the Sony SAT-HD300.I started looking at the RCA H20 with the AT9 dish but I didn't like the reviews I saw on the H20 receiver seems there's a lot of out-of-the-box problems and problems with the units getting very hot.Dishwise I have the oval three LNB on the house right now.Was thinking about the AT9 thing but changed my mind when I saw how the H20's were.From what I understand the H20 receiver is the only one that will work with the AT9 dish.I don't want to go nuts just be able to watch a little HD.I have is the older Samsung 32" direct view model #TXM3297HF Dyna Flat HD TV.It's only got component in no DVI 1080i resolution.If you guys know of some good units that will give me good service please let me know.I read some good things about the Sammy360 and kinda lean towards that unit.I know it's not the most current unit but it has some features that I like.Let me know what ya think!:confused:

Last edited:
Q&A to lead us:

I see you area current subscriber; right

If you were a new sub, you will have no up-front selection other than what is current model for HD; H10, H20, HR20 (DirecTV branded, not RCA) and the gear & installation would be free. The AT9 dish will work with the current and older receivers just fine.

Since you are a current sub looking to ADD HD, then you can buy secondhand gear and will need DirecTV to send you a new access card to activate it. The LG LSS-3200A, Sony SAT-HD300, Zenith HD-SAT520 and Hughes HTL-HD are all 98% the same boxes built by LG. They will work with the AT9, BUT are MPEG2 only and will not receive any MPEG4; which is currently your local affiliate & RSN in HD.

Also, DVI and 1080i do not specifically go hand-in-hand; an HD ready display with component should be able to get 720p and 1080i; I know my old 65" RPTV does and I am looking up your make & model while waiting your reply.

WELCOME!

Last edited:
I got the ViP211 myself. I hate the H20 and HR20, but they both have great OTA tuners and a program guide condusive to CableTV users.

WRT AT9 and receiver compatability, it should be noted that, while the AT9 will work with older receivers, if you have an external switch, the AT9 will NOT work with that older switch, you will have to use a WB68.

That Samsung display does do 1080i via the rear component jacks as I suspected. Which it has 2 of in case you have no A/V head unit that will switch everything for you. Ah yes, thanks for that additional comment damaged.

Thanks guy's
Now I said I was thinking of useing the AT9.My current dish is for HD also it's the oval 3 LNB with built in multi switch which hits 3 sats,will handle up to 4 tv's.I do all my own installs and installed this dish.The AT9 looks more involved as far as setup.And that baby hits 5 sats,I thought about going that way but whats the sence if I'm not useing the H20 receiver.It's a shame with the H20 RCA was making really good receivers back in the day.
So what do you guy's think about my receiver choices.If you know of some better models please by all means.

.............Sorry Charper I just saw the other models you suggested at the bottom of your post..............

Last edited:
Well since you have no need for the AT9 and the local affiliate or RSN in HD:

The LG LSS-3200A, Sony SAT-HD300, Zenith HD-SAT520 and Hughes HTL-HD are all 98% the same boxes and were built by LG. These are possibly the best HD boxes ever built for DirecTV MPEG2 and have awesome OTA ATSC tuners built-in as well. I would add the RCA DTC210 into the mix as well. Whichever you can find at the best price shipped and from the most reliable seller; you shouldn't go wrong with any of them. I have had 2 of the LG built boxes for years of perfect service.

Charper,
I was just wondering why no mention of the Samsung SIR-TS360 unit.Have you heard anything bad about the unit.I'm sorry I keep harping on this unit it's just that it supposed to have a really good upscailer built in to it.I think LG has the same thing but the Sammy is supposed to be pretty hot.But if you know of some problems let me know

Damaged,
I did look at those posts,they reinforce the LG made units alright.I would feel safe going with any of those units.Except the Zenith which I do remember reading about that firmware problem they had and would kinda get me nervous about getting stuck with one that didn't get the update.The posts on the Samsung gave me kind of an idea that there was some problems with the Samsung also

All and all you guy's were a big help..........Thanks.

Last edited:
I've had the Samsung at one time, then got the Sony HD300, which in my opinion is by far superior to any Samsung product made.

JoeRoastbeef said:
Damaged,
I did look at those posts,they reinforce the LG made units alright.I would feel safe going with any of those units.Except the Zenith which I do remember reading about that firmware problem they had and would kinda get me nervous about getting stuck with one that didn't get the update.The post on the Samsung though was no help basicly the person just didn't know how to use one of the features.

Yea, I did notice that, but I figured if anything it would give an idea of how many problems (or in this case, the lack thereof) the unit might have, remember, most things on these boards is of a negative nature (i.e. most people usually post when they have problems, not when they don't), while not definitive, one could extrapolate that either that model Samsung was rare, or, everyone hated it and knew to stay away from it, or it had few problems.

FWIW, listen to charper1, if he did not mention the Samsung, he must have a good reason.

Last edited:
As DCBag said as well, of the 10 or so people I knew that had the Samsung, they HATED it. And the Samsung my mom & dad had was a total PoS. I I said in an earlier post I have both; the LG LSS-3200A and the Zenith HD-SAT520; the Zenith has NEVER had any issue with its firmware or performance. But by all means you are the user, if you like the make & model then goo with that one; its your home theater.

Last edited:
Why would you want to spend your money on obsolete receivers? The H20 will cost you about the same as the old timers you are posting about, but it will get all future HD channels that D* will be putting up. All the old MPEG2 receivers can only get the few channels currently being offered in MPEG2. There will be no future MPEG2 channels. The half dozen or so current channels are all you will be able to watch. Along with the other posters I say go with the LG built receivers. I have 2 HTL-HDs and 1 TS360. But if you want to invest your money smartly either the H20 or HR20 would be my choice because they will do MPEG4 and you will need the AT9.

The LG built receivers may be obsolete, but are still far superior to the H20. I agree about the MPEG 4 issues, but unless your locals are in HD, there's not need to worry about that at this time. I will believe new HD is here when I see it, will be at least 6 to 9 months down the road, maybe more. Just my opinion.

dcbag said:
The LG built receivers may be obsolete, but are still far superior to the H20. I agree about the MPEG 4 issues, but unless your locals are in HD, there's not need to worry about that at this time. I will believe new HD is here when I see it, will be at least 6 to 9 months down the road, maybe more. Just my opinion.
Do you know who the manufacturer of the H20-600 is? Try LG.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)