Getting locals in HD good OTA...any reason to upgrade my dish??

unionturf

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I am currently getting most all my local channels OTA with a small rabbit ear set on top of the entertainment center. Sometimes I have to move it just a little to get channel 3 and the signal is good overall.

Channel 3 sig at 74
Channel 9 sig at 90
Channel 18 sig at 77
Channel 36 sig at 82
Channel 64 sig 74

I learned a few weeks ago when I hooked up the OTA antenna that I have a 3rd OTA hard drive (very cool) and we have been using that.

So...my question is if I upgraded my dish to the 1000.2 would I still be able to record on the 3rd HD or would that just record on the recular 2 drives?

Second question is I already pay $5.99 for locals, is there another $5.99 charge or is that all one fee?

Thanks.

Last edited:
You have not stated which receiver you are using or the area you are in. Seems you have a dual tuner HD dvr so we start and see where you fit in. HD dvr dual tuner has three different models, the 921, 942 and ViP622. On all three you can record your ota, but since it is a seperate tuner we can surmise you do not have a 921. Of the two left, if your local HD channels are available via dish, then you need the 622. With the proper dish you can then record them through the two dish tuners. They are a part of your local channel package so there would be no additional charge. If you have a 942, the HD locals cannot be accessed so the change of equipment will not do anything.

Note: if it is the 622 you have, surprised the installer did not set up proper dishes for you, unless they became available after you were installled. Dish should upgrade your equipment.

Yes, I have the 622 and I'm in Charlotte NC. I do get locals in regular def via Dish and they are now avalable in HD thru Dish but from what I have read I have a Dish 1000 and I would need to upgrade the dish to get HD locals.

I'm wondering if I upgrade the dish to the 1000.2 and start getting HD locals thru it, I am assumiing I will loose the ability to record on the 3rd hard drive unless I still use the OTA systme I have in place.

I'm trying to decide to upgrade the dish or get a better OTA antenna I guess.

The Dish HD Locals for Charlotte come from 118.75° which requires the special LNB on the Plus dish. The Dish 1000 and Dish 1000.2 see only 110/119/129 so you gain nothing there. Attaching the 129 add-on LNB to the Plus dish makes it a "Dish 1000+."

At that point, each of the 622's three tuners will be able to record an HD local to the single hard drive.