Getting Locals

cspiteri

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 14, 2004
I am planning to drop COX and just want to get my area local networks.
Does Dish still offer the WELCOME package and if so,where can I get information on the content?

Readily available on their site, and yes you can. They have moved to making the channels or at least many of them in HD now, including all the locals.

Thank you for the link. I have subscribed to the COX basic package for years. Now they are going digital and a box is required for each tv set. In the end, you will be required to pay a rental fee for each box. That is my reason for switching.

First box with DISH is free. (There is a DVR fee, $7 for the whole account for VIP receivers) and no DVR fee if you get a 211, which can easily be made to be a DVR still with no DVR fee. I bet there is no other provider that can match no charge at all for the receiver or for having a DVR, and on top of that the Welcome package.

Depending on where you are located a good ole TV antenna may be free after instillation costs. Satellite Guys hasa forum forOTA installatios.

Reactions: Tampa8
That's true of course.... but.... no time shifting or watching two channels etc.... You can buy a DVR, with some in the long run you would save money, others have an ongoing cost. But you still get more with the Welcome pack, a few channels beyond OTA, many freeviews (in HD) etc... and the failing of a DVR isn't your expense. I bet alot of people can not get all four networks reliably, or at least not without a significant purchase of a good antenna, booster, possibly a rotor, etc etc.
I can no longer do it in Ct since Digital, and even in Florida where it is flat,the towers are reasonably close, I still lose the signal for brief periods with planes overhead, or a drifting signal. (Overall it is reliable enough however)

That's true of course.... but.... no time shifting or watching two channels etc.... You can buy a DVR, with some in the long run you would save money, others have an ongoing cost. But you still get more with the Welcome pack, a few channels beyond OTA, many freeviews (in HD) etc... and the failing of a DVR isn't your expense. I bet alot of people can not get all four networks reliably, or at least not without a significant purchase of a good antenna, booster, possibly a rotor, etc etc.
I can no longer do it in Ct since Digital, and even in Florida where it is flat,the towers are reasonably close, I still lose the signal for brief periods with planes overhead, or a drifting signal. (Overall it is reliable enough however)
With 2Tivos with lifetime subscriptions I can record 6 channels at once in HD and in the Dallas metroplex at 63 miles from the towers I can receive over 70 digital channels most without drop outs. Best of all no monthly fees. If you know what you are doing Antennas can be cheap, I just bought a refurbished Channel Master for $33.that gets everything that is available.

Reactions: dishrich
In your area. Not going to work in many areas of Ct, not even areas of Florida, in fact not in many areas of New England. And some areas do not have much other than the four Networks and a couple of sub channels. In Florida I get many channels, many sub channels, I get pretty much dittly squat OTA since digital in Ct.
Getting an antenna just isn't the answer for many people, I have a Tivo OTA with lifetime sub and it's great.... in Florida. Almost worthless in Ct.

OTA is tough here in the Berkshires too Tampa. I have 2 antennas including a 14 footer to get channel VHF 6 and reliability wasn't good enough to satisfy my wife. She just can't deal with signal dropouts which are common in this terrain.

Reactions: Tampa8