"You've got to be kidding me!" - Nightly Update . . .

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SandFarmer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 21, 2009
The Beach.
So this is probably pay back for doing the CUI update, which has been reverted, but tonight shows how out of whack things are. Shut off/Standby my HwS at 10pm. Went drinking until 2:15am. So my box has been Off/in Standby since 10, I just fired it up at 2:30am and the first thing I get is the "nightly update" panel. WHAT WERE YOU DOING ALL NIGHT WHILE I WAS AWAY?!!! Usually I get it around 1:30am. But it's been completely haphazard since S52something with update requests at all times of the day. Usually at a time that could be considered "prime time".

What is this all about? Retribution?

Reactions: charlesrshell
So this is probably pay back for doing the CUI update, which has been reverted, but tonight shows how out of whack things are. Shut off/Standby my HwS at 10pm. Went drinking until 2:15am. So my box has been Off/in Standby since 10, I just fired it up at 2:30am and the first thing I get is the "nightly update" panel. WHAT WERE YOU DOING ALL NIGHT WHILE I WAS AWAY?!!! Usually I get it around 1:30am. But it's been completely haphazard since S52something with update requests at all times of the day. Usually at a time that could be considered "prime time".

Maybe you need a new Hopper! I am not seeing that on my three Hoppers.

Answer maybe less drinking and more sleep in the wee hours of the morning :). I don't believe the dish gods are out to get you for forcing the CUI update even tho I think it was a bad idea to do it in the first place.
Gerry

I think something has changed sense installing that CUI.I got my nightly update at 1:10 am this morning.I get my updates between 1:20 and 1:40am like clockwork.I also got one around 12:15am but I did not see the tv screen on that one just the HWS was off when I got back doing its update thing.

What! less drinking?! Are you nutz! How do you think I get through dealing with all this Hopper turmoil? In my younger days, last week, we didn't get started until 2 in the morning, which were also office hours for many years prior to getting into the entertainment biz. Anyway I'm a second shifter from years of owning "entertainment venues" and now retired I get way too much sleep. But all this has nothing to do with fact that my experience with the HwS has been a nonstop roller coaster ride. I pray that the final CUI isn't as much of one.

Forcing the CUI update was out of my control. It was my inner juvenile geek that made me do it. The "Nerd Factor" of the CUI played into my tech additiction. But yesterday as with many others, it reverted to S529 (insert happy dance here). A lot of people have been reporting strange update behavior since about S523 I think it was. Mine, like I said has been at anytime of the day on two separate HwS's. But the key point is why didn't it do it at the time it normally does or should while the machine was "off" and not right when I turned it on an hour later. It's as if it was waiting to "mess" with me. See why I drink! PLUS, a positive, as I will post elsewhere too, the new reversion FW has shown me that my DLP is just fine. As I have seen with other media sources. With the CUI the picture quality, as rumored, was great. No more hyper pink cheeks and noses, blue lips and flat black areas with no detail in darker scenes and no more overall darkness to the pic which DISH is notorious for. Whereas, with the S529 reversion, the bad PQ was back. It was nice to have a comparison. I am once again looking forward to the update and hope the "rumored" and what I saw in picture quality increase returns. Fingers crossed.

Although I know my HwS is out to get me, it has been a wild ride and learning experience. Thanks for posting and it's time to go to bed now that I have seen the sunrise and I'm done talking to China. Just wanted to share yet another strangeness that is the HwS.

What! less drinking?! Are you nutz! How do you think I get through dealing with all this Hopper turmoil? In my younger days, last week, we didn't get started until 2 in the morning, which were also office hours for many years prior to getting into the entertainment biz. Anyway I'm a second shifter from years of owning "entertainment venues" and now retired I get way too much sleep. But all this has nothing to do with fact that my experience with the HwS has been a nonstop roller coaster ride. I pray that the final CUI isn't as much of one.

Forcing the CUI update was out of my control. It was my inner juvenile geek that made me do it. The "Nerd Factor" of the CUI played into my tech additiction. But yesterday as with many others, it reverted to S529 (insert happy dance here). A lot of people have been reporting strange update behavior since about S523 I think it was. Mine, like I said has been at anytime of the day on two separate HwS's. But the key point is why didn't it do it at the time it normally does or should while the machine was "off" and not right when I turned it on an hour later. It's as if it was waiting to "mess" with me. See why I drink! PLUS, a positive, as I will post elsewhere too, the new reversion FW has shown me that my DLP is just fine. As I have seen with other media sources. With the CUI the picture quality, as rumored, was great. No more hyper pink cheeks and noses, blue lips and flat black areas with no detail in darker scenes and no more overall darkness to the pic which DISH is notorious for. Whereas, with the S529 reversion, the bad PQ was back. It was nice to have a comparison. I am once again looking forward to the update and hope the "rumored" and what I saw in picture quality increase returns. Fingers crossed.

Although I know my HwS is out to get me, it has been a wild ride and learning experience. Thanks for posting and it's time to go to bed now that I have seen the sunrise and I'm done talking to China. Just wanted to share yet another strangeness that is the

Ok for us non technical people. I have dish since early 90s. Used to be the update was at 3am on the money so made made sure no recording at that time . Now it is all over the place. Would be nice to have a time range choice.

Ok for us non technical people. I have dish since early 90s. Used to be the update was at 3am on the money so made made sure no recording at that time . Now it is all over the place. Would be nice to have a time range choice.

My HWS powered down THREE TIMES within an hour last night, each time thinking it was doing it's nightly duty to look for updates. This is one of the reasons I'm being shipped a replacement unit. The techs said that the hard drive is flawed because of this and a myriad of other issues.

My HWS powered down THREE TIMES within an hour last night, each time thinking it was doing it's nightly duty to look for updates. This is one of the reasons I'm being shipped a replacement unit. The techs said that the hard drive is flawed because of this and a myriad of other issues.
Well then both my HwS have bad hard drives since they are doing all kinds of weird a$$ things. Just got done rebooting one (S528) to hopefully stop it from stuttering during playback. It worked. Since I've gotten S529 on the one I did the CUI on, its been blacking out with no sound the only way to get back is to hit cancel or change channels or switch to another program. Long chasing green dot bars resulting in a blank screen or a greyed screen with a stalled dot bar on top. Lots of screen refreshes and basic crashes with fast reboots, multiple nightly reboots and requests after a reboot. This all started at a certain point in updates. I really rather doubt it's bad hard drives because that's always been DISH's way to fix things by blaming bad hard drives and throwing hardware at the problems. Never acknowledging that it could ever be software. As I said these problems started after a certain level of software updates and on both machines at the same time.

As much as I disliked the incomplete low res CUI, the program picture quality was far better than now and I had few of the problems listed above. I watched the same program with CUI and the S529 and it was night an day in pic quality. The CUI being way better (as rumored). I'm now really jazzed for the final/GM of the CUI in the hope of it fixing many of these problems. Mostly picture quality. My eyes are really starting to bother me after watching DISH. But not Blu-ray's, DVD's, streaming from my Blu-ray.

In my case, there are many other issues (apparently with the HD) besides the multiple nightly updates. The HWS frequently loses contact with all the remotes, sometimes does its recording with the red recording light NOT working, sometimes I have to reboot to stop a recording that I don't want to continue with (after it refuses to stop when I press the stop button), etc. Other issues also involved, so it probably is definitely the hard drive in my case.

I hope your situation improves very quickly.

In my case, there are many other issues (apparently with the HD) besides the multiple nightly updates. The HWS frequently loses contact with all the remotes, sometimes does its recording with the red recording light NOT working, sometimes I have to reboot to stop a recording that I don't want to continue with (after it refuses to stop when I press the stop button), etc. Other issues also involved, so it probably is definitely the hard drive in my case.

I hope your situation improves very quickly.
Thank you for the well wishes and I have had the issues that you described also. I've lost track of everything that has happened. I just shake my head and count the days until the new FW comes out. And after having a taste of it, I pray that the performance that I saw doesn't get messed with from what I experienced, things should be pretty good. I'll just sit here and hold my breath.

I don't think it's exclusively "my issue", but "our issues" and it looks like the forthcoming big FW update just may take care of many of them. Fingers crossed. I hope you and others can hold out until "nirvana" happens without too many hardships and run-a-rounds.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts