Getting My First FTA Motorized KU Setup!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Rendered

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 2, 2007
I just ordered the M-2 motorized setup with the Mercury II receiver, although I upgraded to the 36” dish. I also got the self install cable kit and an inline surge protector. :)

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Satellite-systems/Motorized-Systems.htm

So, whenever it gets here I’ll be officially set for FTA!:D This is my first FTA system, and it will be the first time since over a decade that I’ll have more then 5 channels and ones without grain and fuzz at that!@party:clap If I run into any problems or have any questions I’ll be sure to post here first.

When the system comes I’ll post an update.

Upgrade to the 36" was a good idea, as those extra inches don't cost much and can make a big difference on the weaker transponders.

As stated above by Brent, an absolutely level pole is essential in a motorized installation.

Level pole, got it!:up I have a standard Level. Will getting that bubble center do the trick, or do I need something more precise?

I would not have upgraded the dish if I had not heard about the benefits from the forum, so thanks!:)

Congrats. You picked a nice setup. When you get a chance, read the instructions listed here for aiming a motorized satellite system.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks, I can hardly wait!:D Before I made the purchase I actually saved the entire help section to my hard drive. I have read through them about three times now and I’m working on four. Understanding all this is almost as interesting as the prospect of watching more TV. Almost:rolleyes:

As long as the bubble is EXACTLY center, you should be okay. Another useful tool is an inclinometer (sometimes called and angle finder), which you can pick up for under $10 from Lowe's or Home Depot. These usually have a magnetic base, and you can put them on all sides of the pole to make sure it is at exactly 90 degrees.

As long as the bubble is EXACTLY center, you should be okay. Another useful tool is an inclinometer (sometimes called and angle finder), which you can pick up for under $10 from Lowe's or Home Depot. These usually have a magnetic base, and you can put them on all sides of the pole to make sure it is at exactly 90 degrees.

Oh, so that is what those thingies are called! THANKS! I knew there was something, but I had no idea what to search for.

I think I can do it with a level, but if I see a inclinometer the next time I’m in town and at Lowes I’ll think hard about getting one.

congrats on the setup :)

Thanks, this forum has been a big help.

When pointing if your true south bird is a weak one like how mine is, you can drive the motor over to like 61.5 or 110 and point the dish that way. Its alot easyer picking up those birds than trying to aim at amc3. Once you get on 61.5 / 110 you can drive your motor back to your true south and you should be right on it. If nessassary make any adjustments.

I just received an e-mail informing me that UPS has a scheduled delivery coming from Sadoun Satellite Sales.

Excuse me for one moment…

:eek::D Yay:bounce @party Yipee:bday:clap :lickWahoo:love:bounce:bow:hatsoff:yeehaw:hungry::D... :eek:

Okay, where was I….

Oh yeah, I see what you are saying goaliebob99, I am going to try that.

When it gets here I am going to have a lot of fun.:bounce

Got It!!!

It’s Here!

Actually, I got it yesterday.:D I was just too busy looking through everything to make a post. The only bad thing that has come up so far is that there was a big gash in the box and sure enough there is a dint in the rim of the dish and the paint is chipped off there. So thanks for that UPS. :mad:

But luckily it does not appear to alter the over all shape of the dish or the inside so I think it will still work fine. I’ll try and post a pic of it tomorrow. I think I should cover the area where the paint came off with something to keep the metal from being exposed right?

Other then that everything appears okay. I plugged in the receiver just to make sure it is running ok and it seems fine. I did not have time today to work on setting it up, but I’ll see what I can do on it tomorrow!

BTW, Great hat Sadoun!:up I have had it on all day.:D

PS:thanks everyone!

And realistically, we'd all love to be over there helping you out !!!

Ha, that would be convenient.:D But, it might take some of the thrill out of doing it myself.:rolleyes:

Oh forget that! I’d prefer the help. Although having the forums is already a big help and it’s a lot less frustrating then calling Tec support, like in my past technological adventures.

Here are the shots of the dent.:( I am thinking I should feather sand it and cover it with either a silicone or an acrylic clear sealer to protect the metal. What do you guys think?

Well, I’m fixing to get on the roof and see how I can best setup a place for the dish.

Later…

Attachments

• dish-dent.jpg
    dish-dent.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 216
Sand it , prime it with good primer for metal and paint over it. Lucky they didn't do more damage than that I guess.

It has begun...

Sand it , prime it with good primer for metal and paint over it. Lucky they didn't do more damage than that I guess.
Will do...

Well, yesterday I was not able to get anything done on my FTA setup because another job came up that required my attention. But with my brother's help I made some good progress on it today. Most of the time we spent on it today was just on getting the pole level. :eek:

The only big thing to do tomorrow is to hook it up and fine tune everything!:D

I’ll post an update then:bounce

That ding should not affect your signal, since it is past the reflective area of the dish. Just make sure the dish is not clamshelled (warped) by laying it on a flat surface. Do paint the affected area, as corrosion will begin if you don't. Use a flat paint, not glossy.

That is the same EXACT system I am planning to order. I have had dtv (back when it was DBS i think), then dish, and now cable. I am not going back to the little dish ($$$) and have never been really happy with the picture quality of the cable. I'll want to get a PVR later, but that mercury system looks like a greater starter with the $20 upgraded dish.

How did your install go Rendered? I am in TX along the border so it will be interesting to see what kind of stuff I can pick up around here.

How many birds will I be able to hit with the motorized system?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)