Getting my folks to switch

pcrequest

Original poster
Dec 20, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
As a longtime Dish customer, I cringe when I visit my parents and witness what Comcast offers, pricing, and their buggy box. I'd like to help them find them the best value as a new Dish Network customer, and I'm looking for some advice.

Here's what they want:

Watch DVR'd programs in two different rooms, both with HDTVs. They do have a decent roof antenna for local digital (Dish doesn't retransmit everything). Below is a list of their favorite channels. I'll have to figure out which package is best.

I'm trying to emphasize we want the best value. We're trying to save them money. Do we just call Dish and ebaluate their current offers? Or are there many better deals with third party referrals? Any gotchas with 3rd party deals?:confused:

Thanks!

hallmark
foxnews
food
tnt
fox sports network
cnn
a&e
his
amc
hgtv
life
disney
nik
family
usa
tbs
tvland
travel
tnt
tcm
espn
we
lifetime movie
diy
sprout

As a longtime Dish customer, I cringe when I visit my parents and witness what Comcast offers, pricing, and their buggy box. I'd like to help them find them the best value as a new Dish Network customer, and I'm looking for some advice.

Here's what they want:

Watch DVR'd programs in two different rooms, both with HDTVs. They do have a decent roof antenna for local digital (Dish doesn't retransmit everything). Below is a list of their favorite channels. I'll have to figure out which package is best.

I'm trying to emphasize we want the best value. We're trying to save them money. Do we just call Dish and ebaluate their current offers? Or are there many better deals with third party referrals? Any gotchas with 3rd party deals?:confused:

Thanks!

hallmark
foxnews
food
tnt
fox sports network
cnn
a&e
his
amc
hgtv
life
disney
nik
family
usa
tbs
tvland
travel
tnt
tcm
espn
we
lifetime movie
diy
sprout

Dish does not have PBS Sprout.:rant:

The economically way to go is one 722k duo receiver which would get them HD in the living room and SD in the other room and keep them away from having to pay extra fees.

your best bet is find a local installer or if not go with Dish directly.Good Luck!:):welcome

Comcast charges them almost $130 per month for 2 HD DVRs and the list of favorite channels! Since they have 2 HDTVs, it would be not so good to run SD to one. Maybe two solo VIP 612 receivers would be best. Silver has all their channels except Sprout, Retro, DIY for $38/mo +$10 HD for first year + incidentals. I can easily get a phone jack to one of them. Can the other one "talk" through the powerline? Maybe there isn't a charge for solo receivers.

We have a 622 and 722 to keep us both happy, however in the summer one is in the camper most of the time. When we have only one we still watch separate TV's most of the time by using duel mode. We have antenna to each TV for ota networks. Dvr TV 1 has hdmi to one TV and component to the other HDTV. If we both would watch HDTV live event at same time it has to be same program. We have TV2 to each TV on Ch 50 from one dvr and channel 60 if it is the other dvr. So we have a choice of live, recorded, hd or sd, and ota to each set.

Looks like you could get them something good for under a hundred.

How about 2 211ks both with an EHD for DVR functionality. Enable the EHD on both accounts for $39.99 and there are NO DVR fees, no lease fee for 211k #1 and $7 a month for the second.

Dish Silver with HD looks like $55 per month +tax for 1 year then it goes to $70 per month (includes one A/O in HD for #2 211k).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)