Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
Guys,
I really got into this as a hobby, but it's not as exciting as it used to be as far as finding feeds and such. It is a great hobby, don't get me wrong, but right now, with 3 kids, it's just not something I have time for. It might be my fault, since I never really got setup with a motor and such, and was never really able to use the Coolsat like I wanted, up in the bedroom, or living room. I have not scanned in almost two weeks.
I just got a Voom box from Shawn off of here, and it has been pretty fun, and it's more family friendly because we can all set down and watch PBS Nova or something like that.
So, I am going to sell the Coolsat, if any of you all are interested, I still have everything it came with, including the manual and box. Just PM me if you are interested.
I will still visit the forum and keep my dish and lnb, maybe in 6 months I will get another PCI card to get those 4:2:2 feeds, but I just won't know where they are :p
Thanks for all they help here and hope you all enjoy it.

tim

I'm glad that the Voom box is working out good for you.

Every once and a while I look as the big 'ol mesh sitting out back and think what the heck am I doing?!?!? But then I find something really cool on FTA (Watching the Live 8 feeds has to be the coolest thing I've watched on FTA) and it was all worth while.

I also look at it as a hobby. I'm not quite ready to un-plug from the cable company yet.

Maybe by the time you come back we'll have 4:2:2, High Def, & blind scan in a sub $200 box :cool:.

See 'ya 'round the boards!

Bummer….

I know what you mean. I only seem to scan on weekends now (and that’s pushing it). The last time I scanned was Saturday and I already the coordinates in (Sioux game) so I just needed to hit transponder scan.

I still have my StarChoice system because I can’t get rid of the CBC and HNIC :D

I’d love to buy it but money’s a little tight here at the old Berg farm : (

I agree that scanning is time consuming. You need to devote say a half hour a day if you just scan 5 birds. So I can see where you are coming from, but I would say I would hate to be without FTA at this point even if I just had a fixed dish on IA6.

This isn't a hobby, heck ... it's an addiction! lol I'm loving every tortured minute of it. My wife loves it too! We talk more, actually watch less TV, and enjoy watching local feed from around the world. I think I'm in for the long haul. Can't wait till I make the move to Port Angeles, WA and get a C band as well.

Its a whole new ballgame on the extreme West Coast, adding a C Band, opens up the Pacific Rim sat's. Few have the luxury to get signal.

sidekick said:
This isn't a hobby, heck ... it's an addiction! lol I'm loving every tortured minute of it. My wife loves it too! We talk more, actually watch less TV, and enjoy watching local feed from around the world. I think I'm in for the long haul. Can't wait till I make the move to Port Angeles, WA and get a C band as well.

Good for you Sidekick-glad you are enjoying the system. :)

I was VERY glad I had FTA last night when the new season of PBS Frontline debuted. I archive that show on DVD and the quality of the picture from Montana PBS completely blows away analog cable and edges out Dish Network which suffered from very noticable compression.

For anyone who reads this thread, the Coolsat is gone.

See there are load of people who will take my place in the game.

I found the best thing to do when scanning is to use the PIP on my TV. When watching SD material one of the modes takes the image and puts the 4:3 image to the left and the rest of the width from the 16:9 screen is devoted to the other source, which how I scan without disturbing too many people that all already watching. Or my favorite is two 4:3 images side by side of equal size, one with Shep's on the scene news from Fox News on the left, then Shep's feed on the right. It get's lots of laughs as you can watch what they are doing off camera but yet still hear the regular Fox News crew talking to him.

sidekick said:
This isn't a hobby, heck ... it's an addiction! lol I'm loving every tortured minute of it.
Nah its not an addiction and i'm not addicted. That is why i now have 1-10' BUD, 1-6' BUD, 1 40" p* dish, 1 76cm winegard, an 18" dish, plus two recievers. No i am NOT addicted. BTW can you please hand me the remote? i need to do some scanning, im feeling kinda jittery...........:D

drhydro said:
Nah its not an addiction and i'm not addicted. That is why i now have 1-10' BUD, 1-6' BUD, 1 40" p* dish, 1 76cm winegard, an 18" dish, plus two recievers. No i am NOT addicted. BTW can you please hand me the remote? i need to do some scanning, im feeling kinda jittery...........:D

so true :)

After 4 dishes and about 10 receivers, its weird to only have 3 FTA receivers currently :D

digiblur said:
I found the best thing to do when scanning is to use the PIP on my TV. When watching SD material one of the modes takes the image and puts the 4:3 image to the left and the rest of the width from the 16:9 screen is devoted to the other source, which how I scan without disturbing too many people that all already watching. Or my favorite is two 4:3 images side by side of equal size, one with Shep's on the scene news from Fox News on the left, then Shep's feed on the right. It get's lots of laughs as you can watch what they are doing off camera but yet still hear the regular Fox News crew talking to him.

Great idea and good incentive for me to get PIP which I don't have now. What I do is setup a scan and hit "Input" so I can watch TV while I scan or setup a feed like you described and then flip between the two. Your way is nicer though. :)

PIP? No, POT!

Friend of mine has a 56" for the family viewing.
It's got PIP.
One day, his wife lugged his 20" down from his computer room and set it on top of the 56.
She's no dummy - she hooked it up the way she wanted it.
I guess PIP wasn't enough for her.
Now she's got Picture On Top ! ;)

Tim, As long as you have time to test the card I sent you.... LOL

Thank goodness my kids are old.......

JonStevo said:
Tim, As long as you have time to test the card I sent you.... LOL

Thank goodness my kids are old.......

Sure, the dish was pointed before I unhooked the Coolsat and sent it out. I should be good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)