Getting Ready for HD DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

krybka

Original poster
Mar 22, 2005
I have 2 DirecTV standard definition DVR's and am about to go for the upgrade to 2 HD DVR's but I have a few questions first:

1 - I am going to pre-wire for the install and plan to run 4 RG6 Quad cables from the dish to the HD DVR's. Does that sound right?
2 - Do the HD DVR's output standard definition on the s-video and composite simultaneously with the DH outputs?
3 - Anything else I should do in preparation?

Thanks,

Ken

I have 2 DirecTV standard definition DVR's and am about to go for the upgrade to 2 HD DVR's but I have a few questions first:

1 - I am going to pre-wire for the install and plan to run 4 RG6 Quad cables from the dish to the HD DVR's. Does that sound right?
2 - Do the HD DVR's output standard definition on the s-video and composite simultaneously with the DH outputs?
3 - Anything else I should do in preparation?

Thanks,

Ken

1) You need two cables per DVR for D*. If you need OTA make that three.
2) Yes, all outputs are active at the same time on the HR20, at least. HR21, I am not familiar with.
3) Quiet contemplation. because if you had SD TIVO'S and liked them you will be in for a shock. If you had the D* branded SD DVR, ( the R-15), then you will be right at home. The HD DVR is better than the SD D* DVR. Not by much though. But a lot of folks like them. :)

Thanks for the quick response. Yes I currently have 2 TiVo's but I also have an HD DVR (Motorola) from my cable company so I have already gone through severe user interface shock. My brother has the DirecTV HD DVR and it is much, much better than the cable HD DVR so I should be OK with the transition.
I went with HD cable originally hoping that I would eventually buy a stand-alone TiVo but the cable company offers few HD channels and it is very difficult to get cable cards. FIOS is not available in my area. So the decision to give up TiVo and stick with DirecTV was really my only option.

Ken

"2) Yes, all outputs are active at the same time on the HR20, at least. HR21, I am not familiar with."

HR21s are the same, all outputs active.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)