Getting ready to back up recordings

PianoPlayer07

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Tennnessee
I'm wanting to back up my recordings on my 722 to an external hard drive. I was wondering if it had to be a blank hard drive, or can I leave my computer files on it as well? I'm just concerned that when the receiver formats the drive that it will wipe everything that's on it off. It would take too much time for me to copy the files off and I don't really want to spend money on buying another drive, but if my files will be okay I won't worry about it. Does anyone know the specifics on this?

I'm wanting to back up my recordings on my 722 to an external hard drive. I was wondering if it had to be a blank hard drive, or can I leave my computer files on it as well? I'm just concerned that when the receiver formats the drive that it will wipe everything that's on it off. It would take too much time for me to copy the files off and I don't really want to spend money on buying another drive, but if my files will be okay I won't worry about it. Does anyone know the specifics on this?

The vip 722 will warn you first about losing all data and then will format the ext hdd when you press ok

Bummer, but that's what I figured. I'm just going to transfer everything that's on the drive over to my computer temporarily. Looks like it will only take an hour for that so its not as bad as I thought. I've got a Hopper install scheduled for Sunday and just need it long enough to transfer a couple of programs from the 722 to the Hopper.

Bummer, but that's what I figured. I'm just going to transfer everything that's on the drive over to my computer temporarily. Looks like it will only take an hour for that so its not as bad as I thought. I've got a Hopper install scheduled for Sunday and just need it long enough to transfer a couple of programs from the 722 to the Hopper.

You cannot copy to a computer (Windows) from the EHD. Won't recognize the drive. Best off to just get a dedicated drive & go that route.

I wouldn't be copying the recordings to PC. I was talking about my computer files that are already on the drive. Honestly I may just bite the bullet and use this drive dedicated for the receiver anyways. It would probably be a good idea.

That's what I do with two WD15EARS drives. Incidentally, you CAN copy files around using Linux since the Dish EHD uses a plain vanilla ext3 file system. I haven't tried this, but I imagine you could store other files on the drive outside of the DishArc folder and not have it erased by the receiver. I wouldn't trust it, though.

I wouldn't be copying the recordings to PC. I was talking about my computer files that are already on the drive. Honestly I may just bite the bullet and use this drive dedicated for the receiver anyways. It would probably be a good idea.

My bad, I read it as though you were going to try & copy your DVR to computer *oops*

That's what I do with two WD15EARS drives. Incidentally, you CAN copy files around using Linux since the Dish EHD uses a plain vanilla ext3 file system. I haven't tried this, but I imagine you could store other files on the drive outside of the DishArc folder and not have it erased by the receiver. I wouldn't trust it, though.

I did say "Windows" ;)

PianoPlayer07 said:

You can always reformat it if you want to use it with your computer again.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

I haven't tried this, but I imagine you could store other files on the drive outside of the DishArc folder and not have it erased by the receiver. I wouldn't trust it, though.
That would be an interesting thing to test, with files from your PC that are already backed up. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts