Getting Shaw in Los Angeles

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Guardian Hope

Original poster
Jan 26, 2020
West Hollywood, CA
I have been researching this for a while and most of what I have come up with is outdated information - really outdated; as in the 2013-2015 era. So I have a home in Vancouver and a home in Los Angeles so the issue of needing a Canadian address or phone number is completely taken care of.

What I am trying to figure out are the steps moving forward and whether Shaw Direct will work in Los Angeles. I do have an advantage, being on the top of an LA hill places me at slightly over 2,400 feet above sea level with 360 degrees and a completely clear line of sights in all direction to the point that when I had DirecTV installed, the AT&T people were astonished that the signals were all reading 99%-100%.

While I know I can get everything on the West Coast back up in Vancouver, I live in Los Angeles and am wondering what to expect in terms of what I would get in Los Angeles for Canadian TV. With a note here - I don't really care for the channels I can already get with DirecTV in the U.S. so I'm not concerned if those won't come in.

Also, do I just need Shaw to send a 75cm dish or do I need a larger dish to lock on to the satellites?

And of course, anything else I should know - as I did say, the threads I have found are 5 to 7 years out of date?

I have been researching this for a while and most of what I have come up with is outdated information - really outdated; as in the 2013-2015 era. So I have a home in Vancouver and a home in Los Angeles so the issue of needing a Canadian address or phone number is completely taken care of.

What I am trying to figure out are the steps moving forward and whether Shaw Direct will work in Los Angeles. I do have an advantage, being on the top of an LA hill places me at slightly over 2,400 feet above sea level with 360 degrees and a completely clear line of sights in all direction to the point that when I had DirecTV installed, the AT&T people were astonished that the signals were all reading 99%-100%.

While I know I can get everything on the West Coast back up in Vancouver, I live in Los Angeles and am wondering what to expect in terms of what I would get in Los Angeles for Canadian TV. With a note here - I don't really care for the channels I can already get with DirecTV in the U.S. so I'm not concerned if those won't come in.

Also, do I just need Shaw to send a 75cm dish or do I need a larger dish to lock on to the satellites?

And of course, anything else I should know - as I did say, the threads I have found are 5 to 7 years out of date?

It was just posted more or less officially on another thread today, that Anik F1R at 107 will be shutting down later in 2020, with signals migrating between spring and perhaps late summer, splitting to either
Anik G1 or Anik F2. The only signals you will get in Los Angeles will be on Anik F2, at 111.1 West.
A 75E antenna should do fine, and allow one to set up the dish for existing channels still working now on Anik F1R at 107.3. As long as you have some 600 or 800 series receivers, it should work. Be aware that the 800 does not have the sensitivity of the 600 series, and requires more signal to drive properly in weak reception areas. If you can find some used 600 or 605 receivers, they might be better from a reliability standpoint, as long as they are in good condition, and able to be added to your account.

I got friends @ Costa Mesa with Shaw using the 75cm dish but some channels on G1 can be seing on souther US, those on F2 work fine.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)