Getting Started Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

JerryVT

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Vermont
Hopefully I did not miss a Newbie thread somewhere. I am going to purchase a FTA setup this spring and have a few questions for you old hats. I thank you in advance for any help you might give.

#1 I live in Vermont, will a 36" dish be able to pull in a strong enough KU signal this far north?

#2 How much of the southern sky do I need open, how many degrees each way off true south?

#3 I used to set up DSS systems for family and friends when they moved. I also work as an engineer and am used to running bearings with the head survey tech, and understand how to take a bearing, the 15 degree variation between actual and true north, etc. I also do all my own electrical work, network, and video installs. With that skill set should I be able to set up a system by myself, or with the help of a friend?

#4 I have been looking at the motorized dish package from Sadoun sales in OH, with the GeoSatPro DSR 200c receiver and 36" dish. Is Sadoun a good company? Is the GeoSatPro 200c a good hobbyist receiver for blind searches? I read one review on this site that seemed to be glowing.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction. I have been a long time shortwave and amateur radio listener, and this to me seems to be the equivalent with TV. It looks like a great hobby, and given the amount of time I already spent with my OTA setup tuning stations from over 100 miles away, I think it could be alot of fun!

1. 36" should be plenty, buy as big as you can afford. (keeping in mind that a bigger dish usually requires a bigger motor)

2. That depends on which Sats you want. Dishpointer.com can help show where Sats are located.

3. It's easiest if you can have the receiver and small TV at the Dish for the install, as for helpers, the more the merrier (but they seem to loose interest in about 15 minutes) For me, the hardest thing about your first install is learning the receiver, and how to set it up properly, it's not Plug N Play. So when you aim the Dish you will have success.

4. Only draw back I know of is that it's not an HD receiver.

It is a great hobby. I still smile when the Quality Meter lights up! :)

Welcome

#1 36" dish good size

#2 look south 10 o'clock to 3 should work for your area.

#3 I used to set up DSS systems for family and friends
just another step
you know the arc a bit better than most newbies do

#4 don't have it
see my system below.
to the most part you get what you pay for in this hobby
best box now Azbox read up on these and others take your time.

what do you watch ?
for sports #2 would be 11 to 2 o'clock mostly
72 - 107°

Hopefully I did not miss a Newbie thread somewhere.
alot of good stuff here
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/

good luck

Last edited:
I think it could be alot of fun!

Jerry,

You are at the right place for fun! Nobody said it yet, but we all mean to say...

:WELCOME!

We are all very glad that you joined this (our) forum!

I have run short of time to chat, but would certainly enjoy it later today or sometime this weekend. I have to prepare to be a car doctor right now.

36" dish is good, Vermont is a good location, you have an excellent background for this and from here on out, just enjoy the ride! We'll fill you in with neat stuff as we can!

I know it is a trite phrase, but please do read all that you can here. We have a lot of excellent information going on here that you will appreciate!

RADAR

Hopefully I did not miss a Newbie thread somewhere. I am going to purchase a FTA setup this spring and have a few questions for you old hats. I thank you in advance for any help you might give.

#1 I live in Vermont, will a 36" dish be able to pull in a strong enough KU signal this far north?
Yes, you should be fine with a 36" dish. If you can go 100cm (39.4") that would even be better, but not necessary.

#2 How much of the southern sky do I need open, how many degrees each way off true south?
The more the better. With a DG280 or DG380 motor, you could go 60 degrees plus each side easily.

#3 I used to set up DSS systems for family and friends when they moved. I also work as an engineer and am used to running bearings with the head survey tech, and understand how to take a bearing, the 15 degree variation between actual and true north, etc. I also do all my own electrical work, network, and video installs. With that skill set should I be able to set up a system by myself, or with the help of a friend?
You are way ahead of the learning curve and you should be able to setup and enjoy your new system by yourself.

#4 I have been looking at the motorized dish package from Sadoun sales in OH, with the GeoSatPro DSR 200c receiver and 36" dish. Is Sadoun a good company? Is the GeoSatPro 200c a good hobbyist receiver for blind searches? I read one review on this site that seemed to be glowing.
Sadoun has been selling satellite systems since 2001. We have several satisfied customers here. The GeoSatPro 200c does a fine job blind searching.

Thanks in advance for any help or direction. I have been a long time shortwave and amateur radio listener, and this to me seems to be the equivalent with TV. It looks like a great hobby, and given the amount of time I already spent with my OTA setup tuning stations from over 100 miles away, I think it could be alot of fun!

If you enjoy HAM radio, you will enjoy this as well.

Follow Up

Thanks for all the great info. I just ordered the equipment. Can't wait to set it up!

Your questions were well addressed above, but I'll chime in too, just to make it unanimous. - :cool:

0. we'll point you to helpful threads, depending on your needs
1. you're fine
2. see below for dish aiming info
3. good skills. FTA should be educational, but not that big a challenge for you
4. yes he is; yes it is; the glowing review is by our best people! - ;) - (no b/s)
5. DXing via OTA doesn't hold a candle to FTA (unless you are just nostalgic for the old days) :rolleyes:

One thing I'd like to bring up that hasn't been touched on yet, is where to mount the dish.
For a beginner, it's really a good idea to have it easily accessible for your first efforts.
That means mounting it to a wall or on a post in the back yard, about chest high.
Roof-mounting a motor as your first venture into FTA, will be a monumental challenge.

Even with your experience, getting to know the receiver will be a big enough challenge for your first step.
So, I would really suggest you leave the motor in the box and install the dish alone to gain familiarity with the receiver.
Plan on taking the FTA receiver and a monitor out to the dish, to help alignment, too.

Watch one satellite and work through all the menus for a week.
Use the time to study how to install and align the motor, and maybe on the next weekend, dive into it.
Finding yourself unprepared right in the middle of the install/alignment, will be frustrating and painful.

Here's where to look and find the various satellites in the sky....

Anole on how to use GeoSatFinder.com
:
- put in your country/state/city or your ZiP code
- click "select" on one of the suggested locations
- click the blue tab marked "Full Satellite List"
- pick 'n click on a satellite of your choice
OR:
- click on "All common satellites" and get a .PDF file with aiming info for 'em all.

:up
Your questions were well addressed above, but I'll chime in too, just to make it unanimous. - :cool:

0. we'll point you to helpful threads, depending on your needs
1. you're fine
2. see below for dish aiming info
3. good skills. FTA should be educational, but not that big a challenge for you
4. yes he is; yes it is; the glowing review is by our best people! - ;) - (no b/s)
5. DXing via OTA doesn't hold a candle to FTA (unless you are just nostalgic for the old days) :rolleyes:

One thing I'd like to bring up that hasn't been touched on yet, is where to mount the dish.
For a beginner, it's really a good idea to have it easily accessible for your first efforts.
That means mounting it to a wall or on a post in the back yard, about chest high.
Roof-mounting a motor as your first venture into FTA, will be a monumental challenge.

Even with your experience, getting to know the receiver will be a big enough challenge for your first step.
So, I would really suggest you leave the motor in the box and install the dish alone to gain familiarity with the receiver.
Plan on taking the FTA receiver and a monitor out to the dish, to help alignment, too.

Watch one satellite and work through all the menus for a week.
Use the time to study how to install and align the motor, and maybe on the next weekend, dive into it.
Finding yourself unprepared right in the middle of the install/alignment, will be frustrating and painful.

Here's where to look and find the various satellites in the sky....

Anole on how to use GeoSatFinder.com
:
- put in your country/state/city or your ZiP code
- click "select" on one of the suggested locations
- click the blue tab marked "Full Satellite List"
- pick 'n click on a satellite of your choice
OR:
- click on "All common satellites" and get a .PDF file with aiming info for 'em all.

That's my favorite "Lizard"! :D Right on the mark as always! :)

Even when the "Dinosaurs" went extinct, there were some reptilians which survived. They survived because they were smart, wise and able to adapt!

Therefore, listen to the instructions from the "survivors".

:up

RADAR

Yeah, being silly is part of the fun in this hobby.

Status
Please reply by conversation.