Getting started with HD - need help!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

brandnew

Original poster
Aug 30, 2006
Hey everyone -

This is my first post and I'll say right off the bat I don't know much, if anything, about HD TV, etc. I currently have the Phillips DVR receiver and am looking at getting an LCD HD TV. I am planning to get the HD DVR down the road, but I was wondering if I need an HD receiver to be able to watch HD channels. Are there are typically any special cords/accessories needed to connect the DirecTV receiver with an HD TV?

I am sure a lot of this depends on the brand of TV, but I am shopping for one now and want some knowledge before I talk to a sales guy in the store who will tell me I need everything and the kitchen sink.

Any insights are much appreciated!!

If your new tv has the HD tuner built in and you are close enough to the broadcasting towers, you should be able to get the local channels in HD with an antenna. If you are within 20-30 miles of the towers, a good indoor antenna like the Silver Sensor should work fine. The link below will list what channels are available in your area, and what type of antenna you need:

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx

If you are in one of the larger cities, D* (DirecTV) is sending HD local channels through the satellite signal. Accessing these HD locals will require a MPEG4 HD receiver (H20) or a HD recorder (HR20). The most common HD connection is HDMI. Since this is a digital connection, you don't need the $100+ Monster Cables. A generic $20 HDMI cable will work fine. The HD package on D* is an extra $9.99/mth. The following link shows what is available on D*:

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/packProg/channelChart2.jsp?assetId=1100084

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)