Getting ticked at EBay and DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mdwatt

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 29, 2006
Jackson, OH
I have had several listings for receivers removed from EBay, saying that the listing violated their copyright or trademark policy. I have tried to contact both of them and get an answer on what can and cannot be listed or shown in the ad to prevent it from happening again, but I can't get a straight answer. Does anyone know what the deal is? - besides the fact that EBay sucks. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

i had this happen to me last year with a HR21-200.I was able to sell it the 2nd time. could you post here what details you had in this auction?

I have had several listings for receivers removed from EBay, saying that the listing violated their copyright or trademark policy. I have tried to contact both of them and get an answer on what can and cannot be listed or shown in the ad to prevent it from happening again, but I can't get a straight answer. Does anyone know what the deal is? - besides the fact that EBay sucks. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

My best guess is that since you don't actually own the receiver, Directv does, eBay won't let you sell it. It makes perfect sense to me.

My best guess is that since you don't actually own the receiver, Directv does, eBay won't let you sell it. It makes perfect sense to me.

He might own it if he's on an MDU plan like I am. I own my receivers and don't send them back if they break or I deactivate them.

They were 3 H23-600s that I had issued to me as a sub contractor for an RSP in my area. Once we are issued the receivers by the company for installation for a customer we have 30 days to install them. If we do not, then we get charged for them. All 3 of the receivers "expired" and I paid for them. Therefore, I own them and should have a right to sell them in any venue I choose.

They were 3 H23-600s that I had issued to me as a sub contractor for an RSP in my area. Once we are issued the receivers by the company for installation for a customer we have 30 days to install them. If we do not, then we get charged for them. All 3 of the receivers "expired" and I paid for them. Therefore, I own them and should have a right to sell them in any venue I choose.

Sounds right, but eBay probably doesn't know that. Maybe you should alert them to the facts. Also, did you use a Directv logo in your ad? They might not let you do that.

Buy a pub membership and sell them in our classified areas here. You'll avoid the ebay commissions and help a fellow satelliteguy.

I suspect as far as DirecTV is concerned you still don't "own" them, they are probably still in DirecTV's records as leased (or "leasable"). The non-install penalty is between you and the RSP. And unless it was equal to the "purchase price" for each box ($400-$500 per box, probably) there is no way you would own them.

Mdwatt all you were charged was the buy down on the receivers you still don't own those receivers Directv still owns them.

If they have never been activated before, than he should be able to sell them as leased receivers, just like Best Buy does. Once activated and cancelled, they must be returned to Directv, or if they are not, DirecTV will not activate them if they are sold/given away.

If they were never installed/activated, he should be good to sell them. Ownership between him and his employer is between them, Directv doesn't care as long as they were paid the "lease upgrade" fee.

If they have never been activated before, than he should be able to sell them as leased receivers, just like Best Buy does. Once activated and cancelled, they must be returned to Directv, or if they are not, DirecTV will not activate them if they are sold/given away.

If they were never installed/activated, he should be good to sell them. Ownership between him and his employer is between them, Directv doesn't care as long as they were paid the "lease upgrade" fee.

:up:up:up. this is correct. this was my case last year when i purchased from ebay a brand new leased HR21-200. I was able to resell it with no problems and the customer was able to activate it with no issues. My 1st listing was also removed like the OP's but i relisted it with a buy it now option at a price that would compete with the other listings and made it a 3 day listing. it sold within 2 hours.

I was charged $106 each. Retail for those receivers (H23) is close to that amount. Most retail for between 100 to 125 bucks depending on where you get them. I have activated receivers of this nature before and haven't had any issues. The receivers actually sold before the listing was pulled, so this particular case is not an issue. I just wanted to be able to prevent it in the future since I occasionally come across things like this to sell. As far as I know all receivers are considered "leased" by directv these days. I purchased a receiver in a similar manner as I have described and when I activated it, they required an 18 month commitment to activate the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)