Getting VIP 722 online (1 Viewer)

Register Today to see less ads! It's Free!

Europa13

Feb 23, 2010
Vegas
Hey guys, I need to get my DVR online but my router is in another room. I don't want to run a long ethernet cable to it. I don't have an active landline phone line, so I think wireless is my best bet. Which wireless adapter will work with the 722? Links would be great. Thanks!

nsafreak

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 7, 2004
Denver,Co
There's no adapter that will directly hook into a 722 and provide wireless access. The cheapest way to accomplish the job would be to get a router that supports DD-WRT ( dd-wrt linksys wrt54gs firmware upgrade at dd-wrt.org), flash it, set it to bridging mode, plug the 722 into and you're set. Your other option would be to purchase a powerline networking kit. Either one should get the job done though.

Europa13

Feb 23, 2010
Vegas
My router is DD-WRT. How do I flash and bridge it? I didn't want to string a 50 foot cable around the house unless that's the only way. Does this mean plugging an Ethernet cable into it will not work unless I flash and bridge? Does Dish sell a DVR with WiFi? I'd upgrade if so. I'm looking for the easiest method, not cheapest. I'll look into the powerline networking kit.

Edit: okay, I just found this networking kit.http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XE104G.aspx
Will I still need to flash and bridge the the router or will this just be plug and play and instantly have my DVR online?
Thanks!

Last edited:

cosmo_kramer

Master of my Domain
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2005
41.605N, -72.879W
My router is DD-WRT. How do I flash and bridge it? I didn't want to string a 50 foot cable around the house unless that's the only way. Does this mean plugging an Ethernet cable into it will not work unless I flash and bridge? I'll look into the powerline networking kit.
Does Dish sell a DVR with WiFi? I'd upgrade if so. I'm looking for the easiest method, not cheapest. Any other options?
Thanks!
I just picked up one of these from The DishStore (Gold sponsor link on top of the page to replace a gaming adapter that recently died:

The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

Works great, literally plug and play!!

Europa13

Feb 23, 2010
Vegas
Thanks! I just ordered the SlingLink cosmo_kramer linked.
I'm going to look for a home-plug compatible surge protector, just in case.
Can't wait for the 922 Dish-Sling DVR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts