Getting VIP 722 online

Europa13

Original poster
Feb 23, 2010
Vegas
Hey guys, I need to get my DVR online but my router is in another room. I don't want to run a long ethernet cable to it. I don't have an active landline phone line, so I think wireless is my best bet. Which wireless adapter will work with the 722? Links would be great. Thanks!

There's no adapter that will directly hook into a 722 and provide wireless access. The cheapest way to accomplish the job would be to get a router that supports DD-WRT ( dd-wrt linksys wrt54gs firmware upgrade at dd-wrt.org), flash it, set it to bridging mode, plug the 722 into and you're set. Your other option would be to purchase a powerline networking kit. Either one should get the job done though.

My router is DD-WRT. How do I flash and bridge it? I didn't want to string a 50 foot cable around the house unless that's the only way. Does this mean plugging an Ethernet cable into it will not work unless I flash and bridge? Does Dish sell a DVR with WiFi? I'd upgrade if so. I'm looking for the easiest method, not cheapest. I'll look into the powerline networking kit.

Edit: okay, I just found this networking kit.http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/XE104G.aspx
Will I still need to flash and bridge the the router or will this just be plug and play and instantly have my DVR online?
Thanks!

Last edited:
My router is DD-WRT. How do I flash and bridge it? I didn't want to string a 50 foot cable around the house unless that's the only way. Does this mean plugging an Ethernet cable into it will not work unless I flash and bridge? I'll look into the powerline networking kit.
Does Dish sell a DVR with WiFi? I'd upgrade if so. I'm looking for the easiest method, not cheapest. Any other options?
Thanks!
I just picked up one of these from The DishStore (Gold sponsor link on top of the page to replace a gaming adapter that recently died:

The Dish Store - Powered by Metro25

Works great, literally plug and play!!

Thanks! I just ordered the SlingLink cosmo_kramer linked.
I'm going to look for a home-plug compatible surge protector, just in case.
Can't wait for the 922 Dish-Sling DVR!