Giving up...For now

Status
Please reply by conversation.
my neighbors thought i was nuts when i was on top of my roof in the middle of a snowstorm, repointing my dish from g10 to amc4 for a WUT find.

Unckle_Fun_Knuckles said:
Well guys,
anyone who has been keeping up with my struggle, here is the latest chapter.

I finally got A signal on AMC3 while getting G10 in. I could only get the INFO channel (you know...the dude in the turban over the TV listings). That Tp showed up at like 90% quality but couldn't get anything else.
I thought maybe my adjustments weren't sensetive enogh, so My dad nad I constructed a sweet mount with a threaded rod for adjusting (similar to the one I was asking about) and it was worse. I guess the holes weren't dead on staright, who knows.
Anyway I took it off, went back to the old mount and now I have all the birds I need, including G10, but 0 quality on AMC3. I guess on Saturday just before the britcoms I'll have to go out and adjust the motor so they come in.
I have logged aprox 40 hours in front of that dish since I got it (no lie around 3-4 hours a night). I have officailly run out of patients.
I guess I'll let a few weeks pass and try some more. I still DON'T think it is that hard. I'm just missing something.
I set the motor at 36 (my Lat) point at AMC5(my south bird) adjust elevation till I can get a 90+ quality lock everything down, whell over to G10....nothing.
To get G10 I have to use the motor to angle the dish back.
I know with the motor and the dish combine there are 2 variables working with each other. I remember from algebra that a problem with 2 unknowns is unsolvable, but If I lock my motor at 36, then I have to adjust the elevation back and forth between AMC3 and G10.

Any advice is always appreciated. You have given me so much upto this point and I appreciate it all.

Guess it's time for some cold beer and a break. :yes
I would help you, if i lived near you. i live in central california...why dont you say where you live, might be someone in your area that could help you out.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Thanks Tron for an excellent walkthrough!

When I get the receiver, the first thing I am going to do is connect it to a Dish 500 setup (still aimed) just to get started and make sure it is working ok. I think then I will connect the motor/dish setup to the existing pole in my original photos for practice. I don't really expect to get much there because of trees but I might hit something.

What I really need to do is figure out a test rig of some type that I can move around. I am thinking about a pole in a bucket of cement and a pallet as well as a commercial stand. I want to make sure I have the best location before installing the pole. I have the motor set to my latitude (42) already to avoid confusion later. I will be refering to yours and Truckracers walkthroughs when the time comes.

Thanks again!

Hope it works out for you! The one thing that is REALLY necessary more than anything else is PATIENCE. And therefore time. Go into the install expecting it to take a few hours. You may be pleasantly surprised when it doesn't take nearly that long.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)