"go to first unread post"

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dah-Henny

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2007
Boone, North Carolina
I don't know if it's just me, or if it's widespread, but I've noticed on this site, and also on the dishsupport site, that when you click on the main thread link, it sometimes takes you to the very last post, even if you have never read any of the posts.

For instance, tonight while browsing the dish network forum, I noticed that there was a new uplink. I clicked on the link and was taken to the last post. Kind of annoying, but not as much as when you are following a long thread, and click on "go to the first unread post" and end up trying to figure out which post was actually the last one that you read.

Anyway, thought I'd mention it. :)

That happens on posts that did not originate on SatelliteGuys, such as the uplink reports and the usenet newsgroup posts.

The reason for this is those messages are not made by SatelliteGuys members, instead they are tricked into being imported into our database as messages. They do not turn into real forum posts until a SatelliteGuys member responds to them. Then when you click on them you are taken to the correct last post.

Unfortunately its not going to change just because its the way we did things so that these messages from the outside world get sucked into the SatelliteGuys universe. (If you notice no one else has automated Uplink Reports, because they dont know the secret on how to import messages which are not from the forum. :)

CRAZY!
Go to the Dish Network forum, click on the link for:
2/20/2011 6:16am-Uplink Activity Report-1 change,
and it takes you to:
2/17/2011 6:31pm - Uplink Activity Report - 8 changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)