Status
Please reply by conversation.

raj2001

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2003
Wantage, NJ
Hi everyone!

I've been around here a while but dropped off pretty much since I canceled DirecTV in 2006 and went with cable.

Now after Hurricane Sandy killed cable while the power was out I am reconsidering DirecTV due to power outage reliability. I also use Windows Media Center and Microsoft has pretty much made it a legacy product.

So I am hoping to migrate to DirecTV with the HR34 Genie system.

But I also got a Samsung RVU capable smart TV and was hoping to use it as well.

So my questions:

When setting up the initial install, do I have to call DirecTV and explain the whole RVU TV thing? I assume so because I don't see anything on their website. I would be a "new" customer since I haven't had DirecTV service in 6 years.

Is there a lease fee even if I supply my own equipment (RVU TV?) From what I was reading this is the case, but I'm not so sure.

Is DECA the only way to connect my smart TV to use RVU? I have gig ethernet and Cat6 throughout my house, but I understand that DirecTV wants DECA. How would I use the other smart features that require internet connectivity in that case? I have coax too but was hoping I could use the gigabit ethernet.

For additional receivers, I see that i can choose regular HD receivers. I may do that for one TV which is in a guest room. I have guests a few times per year that just leave the TV on live TV all day watching Lifetime or other channels. I would rather not tie up a genie tuner, and not hit the 3 simultaneous TVs limit. Any downside to this, apart from the $99 up front?

Bonus question: I am also installing a Tracvision receiver in a vehicle we are purchasing. This is one of the main reasons we are looking to DirecTV actually. But I understand that I can't put it on the account if I want distant networks (and will have to pay for a separate account?), and will lose locals when we go out of area. This is bad for us since we live right on the edge of the NYC DMA. Any ideas here?

Not really interested in Dish, as they don't carry Sprout which is a must have channel for the kids. The hopper seems nice though.

Sorry for the long post!

There is an additional receiver fee for an RVU TV, same as for all devices ($6 per month I believe). You MUST have SWM and whole home to use the HR34 and clients - why would you not want to use that for the DirecTv stuff? You can retain your ethernet for other devices.

If you take one of your receivers with you in the RV, there are a couple of issues. First, it has to be compatible with the tracvision dish which means not the H25 because that only works with SWM. Second, you are correct you would normally lose locals once you get out of the spotbeam. But if your service address is in the NYC DMA, the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC Fox) plus YES, MSG and SNY are on CONUS (national) transponders so you will be able to receive them anywhere.

There is an additional receiver fee for an RVU TV, same as for all devices ($6 per month I believe). You MUST have SWM and whole home to use the HR34 and clients - why would you not want to use that for the DirecTv stuff? You can retain your ethernet for other devices.

I hate the idea of using MoCA. I already have Cat6 throughout the house. It would be one less coax to connect, and theoretically I can move the TV elsewhere when needed.

If you take one of your receivers with you in the RV, there are a couple of issues. First, it has to be compatible with the tracvision dish which means not the H25 because that only works with SWM. Second, you are correct you would normally lose locals once you get out of the spotbeam. But if your service address is in the NYC DMA, the major networks (ABC, CBS, NBC Fox) plus YES, MSG and SNY are on CONUS (national) transponders so you will be able to receive them anywhere.

No, we'll be getting the Tracvision receiver for the RV. From what I understand, Tracvision uses GPS to determine whether you are in DMA and shuts off locals once you are outside. You can pay $11/month for distants but from what I understand you also need a separate account which means paying double for home and mobile.

I hate the idea of using MoCA. I already have Cat6 throughout the house. It would be one less coax to connect, and theoretically I can move the TV elsewhere when needed.

But the coax is already going to be there, since it is carrying the DirecTV signals...

No, we'll be getting the Tracvision receiver for the RV. From what I understand, Tracvision uses GPS to determine whether you are in DMA and shuts off locals once you are outside. You can pay $11/month for distants but from what I understand you also need a separate account which means paying double for home and mobile.

What recvr is the Trac Vision asking for you to use ?
I think it use to be the D-12 maybe .... I'll be damn if I'm gonna put a recvr in the Motor Home thats not a DVR.

Also, I would not want SD in the MH.... I think the tracvision is SD only as I believe it only hits 1 Sat (101) unless they've upgraded hugely since I looked last ....
Fwiw, I'm still waiting for a version that handles the 99,101 and 103 Sats for under $1000, with Auto Set Up, meaning I don't have to mess with it, like the Vu Cube is for example.

Just an update to close the loop on this one.

I got my DirecTV installed. I got a HR34 (genie) and I used the DirecTV coax networking but I got the Pace C31 clients (3 of them). The installer put a BB DECA to connect to my home network and internet. He did the cabling for that pretty sloppy but I'll fix it in due course. This is in lieu of using the HR34's ethernet jack. HR34 also gets its internet via that DECA. I reused my home wiring which is pretty new (2010) and in-wall, neat and tested. He actually was impressed by the whole wiring setup and his job went pretty smoothly.

I tried swapping my RVU TV in place of one of the clients. I didn't use a separate DECA for it. It was already connected to the network via cat6 cable. So basically it went HR34 -> DECA -> Gigabit switch -> RVU TV. It worked but I ended up switching back to the C31 for that TV because I didn't have the RC70x remote and there are other issues such as audio sync. The C31 is pretty nice and I can hide it away in my cabinet.

The tracvision was activated and went pretty good. The receiver is a M10 and is SD only. That is OK. The HD tracvision systems are really expensive and they don't do very well in motion if at all. I don't really need HD except at home. If I wanted distants I'd need a separate account so I'm not bothering with that. The system actually does multiple sats (not all at once).

Also I used the costco and referral offers so I got a good deal for the first 10 months or so.

Just an update to close the loop on this one.

I got my DirecTV installed. I got a HR34 (genie) and I used the DirecTV coax networking but I got the Pace C31 clients (3 of them). The installer put a BB DECA to connect to my home network and internet. He did the cabling for that pretty sloppy but I'll fix it in due course. This is in lieu of using the HR34's ethernet jack. HR34 also gets its internet via that DECA. I reused my home wiring which is pretty new (2010) and in-wall, neat and tested. He actually was impressed by the whole wiring setup and his job went pretty smoothly.

I tried swapping my RVU TV in place of one of the clients. I didn't use a separate DECA for it. It was already connected to the network via cat6 cable. So basically it went HR34 -> DECA -> Gigabit switch -> RVU TV. It worked but I ended up switching back to the C31 for that TV because I didn't have the RC70x remote and there are other issues such as audio sync. The C31 is pretty nice and I can hide it away in my cabinet.

The tracvision was activated and went pretty good. The receiver is a M10 and is SD only. That is OK. The HD tracvision systems are really expensive and they don't do very well in motion if at all. I don't really need HD except at home. If I wanted distants I'd need a separate account so I'm not bothering with that. The system actually does multiple sats (not all at once).

There is a unit out that does do all the Sats required at the same time, it's basically a SL3 set up.
However, like you said, its still VERY EXPENSIVE.

It's 10 grand or thereabouts. That's mind boggling and I think only someone who has a luxury yacht would be buying such an antenna.

And you can't even get locals with that setup on a boat.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts