going to "move" does dish use spotbeams for locals?

brocktoon

Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I've lurked here for years off and on, but i had to join to get my answer.

I live in Erie PA and am disgusted by the lack of local HD offerings. Whatsmore, I am originally from the St Louis area and would love to get their local networks and, more importantly, sports coverage.

My question is this...I want to "move" to the St. Louis area to get HD network broadcasts. Does Dish Network use spot beams for their local signals? Or would a person be able to receive St. Louis locals from...say...Pennsylvania???

Thanks for the help. Love this forum!
Brocktoon

I'm so happy to hear that! I have a dish 1000 setup currently.

Is dish moving CONUS locals to spotbeams or simply adding more spotbeams for future locals. Basically, I'm wondering if im gonna be SOL sometime down the road if they move St Lou HD's to spotbeams?

quick edit: is the newly added fox sports midwest CONUS or spot?

I'm so happy to hear that! I have a dish 1000 setup currently.
A dish 1000 or Dish1000+?
They are 2 different dishes. D1000 sees 100,119,129. D1000+sees 110, 118.7, 119, 129. STL HD channels are on 118.7

Is dish moving CONUS locals to spotbeams or simply adding more spotbeams for future locals. Basically, I'm wondering if im gonna be SOL sometime down the road if they move St Lou HD's to spotbeams?
dont know but highly unlikely they'd move STL HD to spotbeam right now.

quick edit: is the newly added fox sports midwest CONUS or spot?
conus

well that kills my buzz, lol.

I have a plain old regular dish 1000. Looks like I need to upgrade the dish to "move" where I want.

So, what does it take to get a dish 1000+ upgrade? Can I just call and order one of the international packages that are on the 118.7 bird, and get a free upgrade? Then, if I don't like the added foreign channel, drop it a month later?

everything you said is correct except for the free upgrade. you'll have to pay for the upgrade but as soon as you are upgraded to the dish1000+, call and cancel the international channels.

the cust service dude said 199 bucks for the dish 1000+ upgrade. Told em I'm fluent in Mandarin Chinese lol.

Anybody else had better lock getting a lower price?

thats what i figured. I'm gonna need the 44 switch anyway so I'll just get the official dish install. thx

isn't a dpp44 switch required for use with a dish 1000?

no, a Dish1000 only picks up 3 satellites so you can use a DP34 or a DPP Twin.

And I can testify that the SD STL locals are on a spotbeam. I live used to live near stl. I moved about an hour and a half south of STL, and didn't change my service address. My signal strength on the spotbeams is very very low.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)