Going to Point 30 w. Where do i start?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gorgojos75

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 17, 2010
boston MA
Hi I'm located at Boston MA and i want to point my 90 cms dish to hispasat.
I got a standard lnd and according to dishpointer my LOS is good i already hit the amazonas 2 satellite but as i move my dish toward the hispasat direction don't find anything.
Any advice would be welcome...

30w for my location...
Elevation: 26.0°
Azimuth (true): 127.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 143.1°
LNB Skew [?]: -35.6°
thax

What transponder are you using to look for a signal?
Are you using the correct l.o. settings for your lnb?

Gorg,

This sat comes in pretty strong for most locations IF you have a clear shot over the horizon. For me it is only 12 deg elevation. Even at your location your dish will look like it is pointing at the ground. I found it by starting at the calculated elevation, 26deg in your case, pan very slowly East, West, then lower the dish 2 deg and try again. The two dishes I've pointed had to be lower than the scale on the side of the dish. Try for Cubavision 11885 V 27500.

do not forget to skew your LNB , I mean rotate your LNB 35.6 degrees counterclockwise if looking from behind the dish. FEC for the Cuban mux is 2/3 if needed. Once you find it, then fine tune the LNB skew using the Canal 21 signal at 12172 V SR 2222 FEC 3/4 because than one has a very strong and wide Overon mux on the opposite polarity , H that is. Lots of spanish channels on that bird.

I am in PA and I happen to exploring 30w area too. I found two channels.
12157 3333 With rolling color bars and text says Pool TX1 London UK
12162 3333 same but with text Pool TX2 London UK

Can anyone confirm which bird this is?

I'm not in front of my receiver at the moment, but if you have feeds from Europe, you MIGHT be at 37 degrees. If you mean that you're not getting anything that should be at 30 degrees, just those two feeds, then that's probably it. You could also possibly receive from 45 degrees (verified by me), 22 and 15 degrees (not verified by me due to trees), although some of those would be low-band, and 15 degrees has full-time channels on high-band so we can rule that one out.

I have no idea how to skew the lnb 35.6 degrees my lnb holder doesn't have a written counter.
thax for the advice HD

I only have a cheap satellite finder so it is difficult to know what sattellite i'm pointing....
I really do the aiming random...

To find a particular satellite programming TP info, into a receiver, is the only way. This being 30W, a valid TP is 11884 V 27500. Watch the Q meter, align for max. Then blind scan for the rest of the TP's Skew - When standing in front of the dish, (between the dish and satellite) twist the LNBF in the holder, clockwise for satellites that are East of your location, Counterclockwise if the satellite is West. The exact amount isn't that critical, you will "fine Tune" it after finding the correct satellite. 36 degrees is a little past 1:00 (on a clock face). I.E. 1 hour = 30 degrees

Have you looked at Sadoun's web site for aligning the dish?
Satellite Look Angles Satellite Heading Calculator Azimuth Elevation Skew Tilt LNBF Latitude and Longitude values here you just put your address and select 30 degrees and it gives you an idea of direction. Should be very close.

and many other helpful instructions
Installing your satellite dish and receiver - DIY INSTALLATION SUPPORT

I was finally able to get mine at 30degrees. For some reason in my circumstance my elevation was off by 4 degrees and I was looking at bird just east of 30 degrees. I wound up knowing that by finding T12 at 15 degrees and it showed my elevation was off but I now have it.

I have no idea how to skew the lnb 35.6 degrees my lnb holder doesn't have a written counter.
thax for the advice HD

Gorgojos,

You don't need to be extremely precise with the LNBF skew angle to get started. Without angle markings you will just have to "ball park" it to begin and then play around with it to optimize your signal quality later. Standing in front of your dish, you will want to rotate the LNBF CLOCKWISE so that the top of the LNBF housing is rotated towards the east.

Consider that the satelite in orbit transmits its Horizontal polarity signals parallel to a line which is tangent to the surface of the earth and the Vertical signals are perpendicular to that tangent line. Rotating your LNBF CW or towards the east (towards the satellite) will rotate the pickup probes "+" in the throat of the LNBF to align with the polarization "+" of the signal from the sat.

The angles you need to know are:

True Azimuth: 127.72
Magn. Azimuth: 143.07 NOTE: Magnetic azimuth should be used when using an uncorrected compass.
Dish Elevation: 26.07
LNB Angle: -35.8

Always make sure that your mast is installed correctly and that it's plumb all around or these settings may not work for you.

Since you don't have any angle marks on your LNBF or bracket you will have to scribe your own. Just use a permanent marker and set the LNBF straight up (vertical) in the mounting bracket. Make a tic mark with the permanent marker at the top of the LNBF and at the top of the bracket. This will be zero degrees. Rotate the LNBF CW so that it is laying perfectly on its side and make another tic mark on the LNBF, this will be 90 degrees. Rotate the LNBF half way back towards zero (CCW) in the mounting bracket and make another tic mark on the LNBF, this will be 45 degrees. Rotate the LNBF back half way back towards zero (CCW) between the 45 degree mark and the zero mark and add another tic mark on the LNBF and this will indicate 22.5 degrees. Then rotate the LNBF away from zero (CLOCKWISE this time) to the halfway point between 22.5 and 45 degrees. Now you will be at 33.75 degrees. This alignment should be close enough for you to use to locate the sat. You are going to have some fudge factor here, but you should be pretty close. You can fine tune it later for the highest or optimum signal quality to make it exact after you dial in the sat signal. You will have plenty of "wiggle" room with the LNBF skew at this point, so don't worry about being extremely precise just yet. You can dial this in better later as needed.

RADAR

Gorgojos,

To start out (to get your dish elevation set best) use sat 72.0°W as your closest true south sat. Select TP 12053 MHz Vertical (symbol rate 6889 Ks/S). With your LNBF rotated straight up at zero and your dish elevation set at 26°, dial in the signal by panning the dish left and right near true south (+/- 10 degrees). Once you find this sat (AMC 6 Ku), you can use USALS to drive directly to 30.0°W. Then you only need to fiddle with the LNBF skew to peak the signal.

RADAR

BTW gorgojos is the spanish name for the bugs found in rice when that rice was not properly fumigated or it is too old. Like ants and others, good thing they are hard to find on this lands, lol. It just sounds funny to me when I read Radar posts starting with the word gorgojos, lol

I am in PA and I happen to exploring 30w area too. I found two channels.
12157 3333 With rolling color bars and text says Pool TX1 London UK
12162 3333 same but with text Pool TX2 London UK

Can anyone confirm which bird this is?
Your on NSS7 at 22W
Mike Lib

Hi I'm located at Boston MA and i want to point my 90 cms dish to hispasat.
I got a standard lnd and according to dishpointer my LOS is good i already hit the amazonas 2 satellite but as i move my dish toward the hispasat direction don't find anything.
Any advice would be welcome...

30w for my location...
Elevation: 26.0°
Azimuth (true): 127.9°
Azimuth (magn.): 143.1°
LNB Skew [?]: -35.6°
thax

Here is my advice: I am in South New Jersey and Hispasat is about the same elevation as your location. Since the elevation is so low and I have a house accross the street, I have to aim my dish in between the two houses to get that satellite. I must position the dish for the best LOS. The Havana Transponder is so strong you should be able to get it at good signal quality with your 90 cm dish.

Check this post out:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/182512-hispasat-30-0w.html#post1905175

Gorgojos,

To start out (to get your dish elevation set best) use sat 72.0°W as your closest true south sat. Select TP 12053 MHz Vertical (symbol rate 6889 Ks/S). With your LNBF rotated straight up at zero and your dish elevation set at 26°, dial in the signal by panning the dish left and right near true south (+/- 10 degrees). Once you find this sat (AMC 6 Ku), you can use USALS to drive directly to 30.0°W. Then you only need to fiddle with the LNBF skew to peak the signal.

RADAR

I should have mentioned here that I was referring to a motorized setup and not a single fixed point dish. Hope I didn't confuse you by not including that information right off. You probably figured that out anyhow, but I just wanted to come back to clarify it.

If using a motorized dish we will need to know what motor you have to determine the appropriate angles. However, you are just using a single fixed dish at present, so I won't get in to the motor details until you are ready to set one up. Sorry, I kinda got excited about hooking up a motor for you! LOL I gaurantee that you will eventually want to motorize your dish. It is the best thing to do to get the full effect of all the available sats.

RADAR

To add to what Radar posted, on a motorized setup, your LNBF will not be skewed. It will be set at '0' (or straight up and down), and the bend in the motor shaft takes care of skew automatically as the dish tracks the arc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts