Gold Coaxial connectors and signal loss

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I have an older cable for my C Band satellite dish. I put new compression connectors on it but the aluminum outer braid is kind of corroded. The copper is OK. I completely lost what little signal I am getting with the coupler that was included with this. When I took it out and hooked up my new multiswitch I instantly got channels. Is it worth the extra money to buy the gold plated couplers? I can't really afford to buy a roll of Coax right now so I am trying to make do with little spending. What are the best connectors to use outdoors? I live in a humid area by the river and everything rusts out quick. I have actually lost 2 alternators, and at least 3 ignition coils due to the humidity. Is there an easy way to test the signal loss from the LNB to the receiver so I can find issues with the cables?

RG6 is really inexpensive, corrosion on the shield means water got in and has traveled down the cable, best to replace it. Avoid those fake gold connectors like the plague.

When making your cables, coat the bare wires with dielectric grease before adding the connectors.

This stuff works as a sealant and preservative for the wires, and gives zero resistance. Perfect for humid areas.

A small tube may be 3 or 4 bucks at your car-parts store. Ask for "Tune-Up Grease". Use it on your car too!

Hope this helps. Good luck.

RG6 is really inexpensive, corrosion on the shield means water got in and has traveled down the cable, best to replace it. Avoid those fake gold connectors like the plague.

Also when looking at RG6 cable try and find cable that has solid copper for the center conductor and not the plated steel. .

Also when looking at RG6 cable try and find cable that has solid copper for the center conductor and not the plated steel. .

I agree if you can find it at a reasonable price. At Home Depot $70 buys you 500 ft copperclad RG6. At the wholesaler, $70 buys you a 1000 ft copperclad RG6. The solid copper core will be more expensive than copperclad but unnecessary if your distances are under 100 feet. At 150 ft distance I am still OK with the copperclad but a cheap lnb may not switch properly between V and H. The resistive characteristics of solid copper RG6 is actually better than copperclad RG11

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)