Gold HD vs. Platinum HD??

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
HI All,
Anyone know the differences between the two? I'm being charged $10/month for each one. Why do I need both? Is there something on the Gold HD that isn't on the Platinum?
Thanks,
J.

Gold HD includes all the HD channels in the Classic Gold (AT250) package.

Platinum HD consists of several HD only channels (no SD counterparts)

HD Net Movies
MGM HD
Fashion HD
MavTV
Logo (no) HD
Centrict (no) HD - used to be BET-J used to be BET on Jazz
World Fishing Network HD
Criminal Investigation (some) HD
Universal HD

That is all. :)

I think platinum is included with the other metalic HD channels at no extra charge at the moment.

Gold HD includes all the HD channels in the Classic Gold (AT250) package.

Platinum HD consists of several HD only channels (no SD counterparts)

HD Net Movies
MGM HD
Fashion HD
MavTV
Logo (no) HD
Centrict (no) HD - used to be BET-J used to be BET on Jazz
World Fishing Network HD
Criminal Investigation (some) HD
Universal HD

That is all. :)

I think platinum is included with the other metalic HD channels at no extra charge at the moment.

You left out two channels NHL Network NBA Network.
I called up and they added platinum to my gold package no charge.
Now I don't know what they will do if you already have both.

I don't think they'll do that. Only for Gold subscribers, I believe.

To the OP, Gold is a service tier, and Platinum is an addon package. You can add Platinum to any tier, Bronze, Silver, or Gold. They should have called it Diamond...another metal is just too confusing. :)

Has anyone had success in getting Platinum added to a TURBO HD only pac, free of charge?

I'd settle for paying for it...I'm about to knock my subscription down to Turbo Bronze with Starz, and it'd sure be nice to keep access to MGM and Universal HD, even for $10 a month.

I just got out of a web chat, where I was informed that I couldn't select a Turbo Bronze account anymore. I was, however, able to get Classic Bronze + (HD + Platinum) + Locals. That knocked me down about $20, though I was hoping for more like $30. :D

OK thanks for the explanation. I didn't know if I was getting charged twice for the same thing. What a strange system.

There should be NO Charge for Platinum HD if you sub to one of the 3 main tiers: Bronze Silvver or Gold plus HD. At that point the Platinum is now offered at no additional charge. However, Dish did not adjust or inform current subs about this, so now, if you are still being charged the $10 for Platinum, then you have to either log in to chat (the best method) or call in and tell them that you know that others are getting Platinum at no additional cost, and you want Platinum at no additional cost. They will remove the $10 monthly charge. In other words, Dish is collecting $10 per month for Platinum HD in a disingenuous manner. Good Luck.

However, Dish did not adjust or inform current subs about this, so now, if you are still being charged the $10 for Platinum, then you have to either log in to chat (the best method) or call in and tell them that you know that others are getting Platinum at no additional cost, and you want Platinum at no additional cost. They will remove the $10 monthly charge. In other words, Dish is collecting $10 per month for Platinum HD in a disingenuous manner. Good Luck.

I could not get free Platinum HD via chat. Here is a transcript of my chat with the CSR, from an older post:

(23-12-3) Lori N.: I will be happy to remove the Platinum package from your account. You will lose Crime & Investigation, HDNet Movies, MGM, NBA TV, NHL Network, Universal, world Fishing Network, Fashion TV, FX HD, BET JAzz, MAV TV, LOGO HD
BuddyBoy: I don't want to have the package removed, my understanding is that I can continue to receive those channels but have the $10/month charge removed permanently.
(23-12-3) Lori N.: I do apologize that is incorrect.
(23-12-3) Lori N.: The only way to remove the charge is to remove the package, then you will no longer receive those channels.
BuddyBoy: My understanding is that if I drop the package completely via dishnetwork.com, I can add Gold+Platinum for $10/month. If that is true, why can't you make the change?
(23-12-3) Lori N.: I am sorry, there is a new customer promotion that includes the Platinum with the HD package.
The agent is sending you to HDTV - High Definition Programming Options.
(23-12-3) Lori N.: You will see at the bottom of that page the disclosure that is only available for new customers.
BuddyBoy: If I were to drop all HD right now, what would my options be for adding HD to my account?
(23-12-3) Lori N.: I don't understand what you mean?
(23-12-3) Lori N.: Why would you remove that if you wanted it?
BuddyBoy: I have read reports on satelliteguys.us that there is no longer a charge for platinum HD, that you can get the channels in Gold+Platinum for just the price of Gold HD. This is for existing customers.
(23-12-3) Lori N.: I am sorry we do not honor as valid any information that is not on the official website.
BuddyBoy: I am trying to figure out how I can get the $10/month charge removed from my account, because many people have called in and been able to do that.
(23-12-3) Lori N.: I am sorry for misleading information.
The agent is sending you to Satellite Television - DISH Network - 1.888.825.2557.
BuddyBoy: Ok, thanks.

I went online, removed all HD, right before confirming hit "Back", added Gold+Platinum for $10, also got the free HBO and Showtime promotion (I already had AEP), and my bill dropped $30/month.

I just got rid of my xtra $10 for platinum HD. Easier than i thought through chat! Just told them that I don't understand why I was paying for something that many other customers were not. The rep said "let me check with my supervisor". 2 minutes later she came back and said that they will keep all the channels for just the $10 and not $20. Just checked my online account and it is all correct under my programming. I guess I'll wait to see the new statement. Must of just got lucky?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts