GoldenEar Triton Three Floor-Standing Speakers - Review

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
goldenear-triton-three-floor-standing-speakers-fig1-lg.jpg

goldenear-triton-three-floor-standing-speakers-fig8-lg.jpg

The Triton Three didn't surprise me in the least, it is exactly what you'd expect from Sandy Gross; excellent base extension, a smooth grain-free midrange and a detailed, silky top end in the ribbon tweeter. Having listened to so many speakers that do some things very well yet suffer in other areas, the Triton Three does it all exemplary.

Because I had these speakers at home so long, I needed to swap them out several times, but when I returned to listen to them, I was always struck by their consistent performance and how smooth they sounded. You may notice in my review I really don't point out any shortcomings, well frankly I just felt they are that good. The bonus is that taking into account the GoldenEar Triton Three is under $1,000 ($1,999 for the pair) it's hard not to enthusiastically recommend.

Link

After owning some Def Tech speakers, I'm always skeptical of what they claim for bass extension with smaller woofers. I liked my Def Tech speakers, and have not heard these towers, but for $2000 for the pair ( a good clip more than my Klipsch Towers), they better be something special. Maybe the passive radiators help, but I also dont like the fact I can only get them in specialty shops.

I did audition GoldenEar Triton Two system earlier this year when I was shopping for new speakers for my home theater. I liked their sound a lot. However, I decided they wouldn't work for my purposes. First, they seemed to need a bigger room and open space. Tritons have side-firing woofers and because of that, they should not be placed too close to side walls. Second, I didn’t like their center speakers. GoldenEar doesn’t offer a big full-range center speaker and that’s a problem for home theater, where the center speaker is extremely important. Finally, I am not too excited about the idea of built-in subwoofers - you can't position them where you want, and you may still need another sub. My overall impression is that Tritons are great speakers for two-channel music, especially if you have a bigger room, but not such a great choice for home theater.

I agree with you on the center for HT. That was my biggest complaint with the DT speakers. Dual 5.25" woofers is not enough for a HT center IMO. Just as I will be sticking with 15" subs when I can, Id want at least a 6.5" woofer in my center.

I agree with you on the center for HT. That was my biggest complaint with the DT speakers. Dual 5.25" woofers is not enough for a HT center IMO. Just as I will be sticking with 15" subs when I can, Id want at least a 6.5" woofer in my center.

Why? That's what crossing over to the subwoofer is for.

If rather have identical speakers than a mismatch trio myself.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2.x

You might have misunderstood me. The 5.25" center from Def Tech had to be crossed at 100hz, thats nor good IMO and you end up getting some drone from the sub when people talk. Buy a larger center, with say a 6.5" woofer, and being able to cross at 80hz makes a difference. That was a procenter 2000, the ProCenter 1000 was way worse (even smaller woofers) and just too small IMO for a HT speaker.

When I went to the Klipsch towers and Klipsch center, and was able to cross everything at 80hz, it made a huge difference for me. But I firmly agree on the speakers matching each other, at least the front 3. Im also sold now on at least crossing at 80hz, but no higher.

I have the DT BP2006s for my mains and the CLR2300 for the center. It has it's own sub in it, but I don't know where it crosses. It's factory set.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)