Good Books

rockymtnhigh said:
Fair enough, but read your original question, and the first thing I thought was that you were trying to point out a shortcoming of the Kindle. I agree the ipad and kindle should not be considered competitors. And I certainly see the value of an ipad for a LOT of things, including newspaper/magazine reading. I just wish the device was a little lighter in the hand.

Back to the question, I don't tend to read books of that nature on a kindle, but I have several with many illustrations, and the greyscale and contrast is good enough that the black and white screen works decently. But if the defining characteristics are actual color codings, I am not sure how well it would work. What is the name of the book, and I will download a sample of it to my Kindle and see.

Trying to be careful not to stray too far off topic here but the iPad combined with the Apple cover makes the requirement to hold the pad in hand while reading unnecessary. I never hold it, rather use the cover folded back to prop up the iPad as desired on my lap or on a table. Can prop up vertical or horizontal at various angles.

One of the debates I had with myself on this book, The Grand Design, was whether to buy in hard cover or ebook. Audiobook was not considered because this media doesn't work well for me on tech books or any that require study. As a prof I'm sure you would agree. I finally felt this book was good for ebook because of the ease of look-up of terms. Being able to quickly highlight a term and do an Internet reference makes reading a book like this really easy.

Trying to be careful not to stray too far off topic here but the iPad combined with the Apple cover makes the requirement to hold the pad in hand while reading unnecessary. I never hold it, rather use the cover folded back to prop up the iPad as desired on my lap or on a table. Can prop up vertical or horizontal at various angles.

One of the debates I had with myself on this book, The Grand Design, was whether to buy in hard cover or ebook. Audiobook was not considered because this media doesn't work well for me on tech books or any that require study. As a prof I'm sure you would agree. I finally felt this book was good for ebook because of the ease of look-up of terms. Being able to quickly highlight a term and do an Internet reference makes reading a book like this really easy.

I'll check out The Grand Design on my kindle later on.

I agree about tech books or others than require study on an ebook.

My wife bought a Catholic Study Bible for her Kindle (yes, we are a 2 kindle house :D), and really was frustrated by how hard it is for her to go to a particular book.

Not sure what you have on regular Kindle but ipad app has several solutions to that problem-

Search phrase: Google or Wikipedia You select a phrase and click on those references and it takes you there immediately ( need internet connect) without having to open your browser, copy paste. It's direct.

Go to: Cover, Table of Contents, Beginning, Location..., My Notes and Marks, Popular highlights

With Popular Highlights- Works like an index of interesting key points and phrases. Same with My Notes but this is something you add along the way to build your own customized index of key points.

You can also set the Popular highlights to "On" and this underlines with a dotted line what's in your index.

That about covers the Kindle app special features.

Only other suggestion I would make is for those who like using a highlighter pen. to have a touch and drag across phrases to highlight in yellow or other color. In other words, make it a real to actual hard book use as people do.

Last edited:
Is there any chance we could move this thread back to the actual book content and perhaps spin off a Kindle thread?

I'm quite happy with my ipad as a reader, but don't really want to debate it here.

I am presently reading Pillars of the Earth on both my Kindle and iPad. Kindle in the bedroom and outside and iPad in the living room and family room. Works well for me. I am thoroughly enjoying Pillars. I watched the TV version and loved it. The book is even better.

Not sure what you have on regular Kindle but ipad app has several solutions to that problem-

Search phrase: Google or Wikipedia You select a phrase and click on those references and it takes you there immediately ( need internet connect) without having to open your browser, copy paste. It's direct.

Go to: Cover, Table of Contents, Beginning, Location..., My Notes and Marks, Popular highlights

With Popular Highlights- Works like an index of interesting key points and phrases. Same with My Notes but this is something you add along the way to build your own customized index of key points.

You can also set the Popular highlights to "On" and this underlines with a dotted line what's in your index.

That about covers the Kindle app special features.

Only other suggestion I would make is for those who like using a highlighter pen. to have a touch and drag across phrases to highlight in yellow or other color. In other words, make it a real to actual hard book use as people do.

It has all of those features, just not as easy as it could be.

The Grand Design book looks interesting; the images are clear, easy to view. I think it would be a doable book to read on a Kindle.

Ok, back to reading.... I am half-way through Karin Slaugher's Blindsided. Pretty good book. A bit graphic though.

Is there any chance we could move this thread back to the actual book content and perhaps spin off a Kindle thread?

I'm quite happy with my ipad as a reader, but don't really want to debate it here.

Yeah- Just start posting your thoughts on the books you're reading.

I am presently reading Pillars of the Earth on both my Kindle and iPad. Kindle in the bedroom and outside and iPad in the living room and family room. Works well for me. I am thoroughly enjoying Pillars. I watched the TV version and loved it. The book is even better.

I have read Pillars twice, and watched the movie. It is one of my favorite books. And the movie was excellent. They did such a great job casting Weylerlan, Prior Philip, Jack, Tom Builder, and the beautiful Aliena.

For a guy who writes World War II spy novels, Pillars was such a pleasant surprise. He brings history to life. World Without End is equally good, although it took longer for me to get into it.

While still reading the Slaughter book, I am also reading Steve Wiermel's excellent new biography of Justice Brennan, one of my favorite justices of the 20th century. Who would have thought that the great liberal champion would have initially made his name as a corporate labor lawyer representing big corporations in labor strifes? For those interested in judicial biography (which on this board is probably just me! :) ), it makes for a compelling read. :D

Finally finished Eat, Pray, Love. It was a good book. I was talking to my grandma today (who has read all the Twilight books and seen the movies, which cracks me up) and she said that she didn't like the movie. So I told her to read the book and let me know if she likes it or not.

I have tried and tried and tried to read The Host by Steph Meyer, I just can't. I'll probably try again sometime in the future. I don't know why I want to read it, I can't get past the first few chapters. It's like a big challenge for me for some reason.

Consider trying audio books. Put it on your cell phone and send the audio to your BT headset, then just listen to the reads while you tackle your daily duties. You can sample the audio book read at audible.com

So, those of you that read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, what did you think of the movie? I'm watching it now, almost over, I'm not sure any american version can top it. I have the next one coming from netflix. Looking forward to it. I know this is the book thread, but I just wondered what everyone else thought since we started with the books. Watching this makes me want to get the book out and start all over.

I think they did a great job with the movie. Noomi Rapace really has become Lisbeth for me. Of course they cut out major parts of the book; they pulled out Mikael Blomkvist' relationship with Henrik's sister; they seriously minimized the role of Erika. But they were largely true to the core story, and I was pleased with it.

I am really curious to see how well they pulled off The Girl Who Plays With Fire. A much more complex story. My blu-ray should arrive this week. :)

I have very little interest in the "American" version of the film. Classic arrogance in that it is necessary for Hollywood to make a "better" version of a Swedish story.

Netflix sent The Girl who played with Fire today and just finished watching it. Wife says she missed the Dragon Tattoo when we watched it last summer. I'll rent it again for her.
I watched it with English dub and it was some of the best Voice dub acting of any movie I've seen. The timing was excellent and just a few silly translations.

Rocky- thanks for your short review of book v movie differences. Looking forward to your differences review on Girl who played with fire.
I'm trying to decide on whether to start over with Tattoo book or just go for the Hornet's Nest read. Since I've seen the first two, what do you think- start over reading or OK to pick up on Hornet's Nest. I assume you've read Hornet's Nest.

I just finished reading Fountainhead and about 25% through Atlas Shrugged. After that on my list is Overton Window, so I won't start Larsson's until sometime mid to end of November.

Netflix sent The Girl who played with Fire today and just finished watching it. Wife says she missed the Dragon Tattoo when we watched it last summer. I'll rent it again for her.
I watched it with English dub and it was some of the best Voice dub acting of any movie I've seen. The timing was excellent and just a few silly translations.

Rocky- thanks for your short review of book v movie differences. Looking forward to your differences review on Girl who played with fire.
I'm trying to decide on whether to start over with Tattoo book or just go for the Hornet's Nest read. Since I've seen the first two, what do you think- start over reading or OK to pick up on Hornet's Nest. I assume you've read Hornet's Nest.

I just finished reading Fountainhead and about 25% through Atlas Shrugged. After that on my list is Overton Window, so I won't start Larsson's until sometime mid to end of November.

I watched The Girl Who Played With Fire last night, in Swedish, with subtitles. I hate dubbed stuff, and with this movie I wanted to hear (even if I could not understand) the Swedish language. I absolutely loved the film; it is a great adaptation of the book, perhaps one of the best I have seen. Yeah, it cut out some minor sub-plots, and it took some dramatic license (it had Lisbeth not being aware of the trafficking story UNTIL after Dag and Mia were killed, and thus did not have her visiting them; and it had her visiting Miriam in the hospital), but neither were detrimental to the story. They also skipped Lisbeth's boob job, but again minor. I was so impressed with the film. And even more so with the acting of Noomi Rapace. She was just a joy to watch.

I am very curious how they will pull off the third film, since she is nowhere as mobile in it. I find it kind of strange that the trailer for it has her decked out in the goth costume, walking down the hallway, which is kind of minor to the story. Of course, I did not think they would do a great job with the second film (very complex story-line), but I was wrong. I also loved the casting of Ronald Niederman. That giant was perfect.

And I was surprised that Paolo Roberto was a "REAL" guy. (Notice the credits, Paolo Roberto was played by Paolo Roberto. I envisioned him to be a bigger guy. But none the less, it was cool.

Bring on the third movie!!!! AND Don, start reading the books. They are so good. I have read all three, and then listened to the unabridged audible of all three as well. They will probably be on my "read every two or three year" list. Such a shame that the author died.

Thanks for your detailed report. I will do that, not read the book but get the audible.com versions probably in December. But for today, I'll be renting the Tattoo again and will probably watch it tonight if we get home in time from the party. I hate parties, but have to go to this one. My solution- Arrive late, leave early. That way I can claim not to be late twice in the same day.

Thanks for your detailed report. I will do that, not read the book but get the audible.com versions probably in December. But for today, I'll be renting the Tattoo again and will probably watch it tonight if we get home in time from the party. I hate parties, but have to go to this one. My solution- Arrive late, leave early. That way I can claim not to be late twice in the same day.

Good plan on the party. :D

The audio books are well done; narrated by an Englishman, but his accent works.

These movies should have won Oscars for best foreign films, btw.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)