Good Idea for Beginner?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sharpman

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 4, 2005
I have been looking at the sadoun site and picked a deal that may work.
The SG2100 Moteck Motor, 90V Dish, and FSKU-4v Lnb. I want to use this to receive any stations available(to broaden my no tv habit). I would like to just replace an old dishnetwork dish on the roof and just put this in its place without having to adjust any wiring cables. Any help or advice on this replacement will be appreciated. I just keep saying yes to do but then say maybe next week. I am in fort worth tx, 76131.

sharpman said:
I have been looking at the sadoun site and picked a deal that may work.
The SG2100 Moteck Motor, 90V Dish, and FSKU-4v Lnb. I want to use this to receive any stations available(to broaden my no tv habit). I would like to just replace an old dishnetwork dish on the roof and just put this in its place without having to adjust any wiring cables. Any help or advice on this replacement will be appreciated. I just keep saying yes to do but then say maybe next week. I am in fort worth tx, 76131.

If you have the money I'd also go ahead and change the LNB to a Invacom QPH-031 and add a diseqc swith to switch between linear and circular sides of the LNB. I wished I had purchased this LNB from the start of my project. This LNB will allow you to pick up the few FTA circular signals that are out there.

Last edited:
With the diseq switch you mentioned will that be needed if the cables are used to go into more than one room previously? Also I read the true south is need with clear view, I went and took a few pictures of the dish on roof and was curious if this will need replaced to get all of the possible channels in the sky?
Just trying to get everything needed with one order.

Attachments

• P7090105.JPG
    P7090105.JPG
    626.8 KB · Views: 160
  • P7090106.JPG
    P7090106.JPG
    626.6 KB · Views: 153
  • P7090107.JPG
    P7090107.JPG
    327.1 KB · Views: 149
  • P7090108.JPG
    P7090108.JPG
    532.9 KB · Views: 134
a few things I noticed,
1. the ground block is mounted vertical which could cause some moisture to run in.
2. no loops on both input or output, at least 5 inch loops and doubled to help with replacement of a connector without adding a piece and having yet another splice and connector to deal with. lightening can burn out the splice and never touch the ground block, also another place for moisture to get in
3. you mounted in the roof, in the long run water will work it's way in there redgardless of tar or whatever. me personally, I question the practice.

speaking of tips for the day, Ice there is a few there to use as well.

note I'm not picking on you but just giving some tips that can help with your install and give you less problems with your system in the long run.

Last edited:
Just replacing the "old dishnetwork dish" will not be enough, you will need to repalce the mount as well. Also, double check the wiring to be certain it is RG-6. It probably is but if not then better to replace it while you are up there in the clouds instead of later.
Good luck.

Where are you going to mount the dish? Somewhere on the ground or do you want to do a roof mount also? Roof mounts send chills up my back as most of them are never done right.....mounting it on the roof should be your last resort.

something else, please ground it, it doesn't look grounded. :eek: that makes me cringe seeing that. If grounding is causing an issue I can see removing it until the issue is found. $1000 and up tv is not the best thing to repair or replace let alone $300 and up for a HD satellite receiver and/or pvr.

I had one the other day had real bad lines in ch. 2-6, undo the ground and it went away, unfortunately I'm not an electician and I don't trouble shoot power issues with in the house. If something is feeding back bad enough then I would terminate the service until the issue is resolved. you hate to do it but when it effects everyone, then you have to do something.

Thanks for the help, I am going to begin looking into all of your feedback and info.
I did order the sg2100, 90V dish, and the invacom as pointed out earlier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts