Good News about L187 download

mfrodsha

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 12, 2004
I did a reset NMV, and reset Factory Defaults during the download (I didn't know I had a download going on since no blinking light) and got a black screen with jumbled characters.

I turned it off, hoping it was a software download, and left it alone until the morning.

In the morning, I pulled the plug and did a reset.

Good news - - - -
All digital channels gone. I did a rescan and got everything I'm supposed to get much more clearly and reliably that I got before. I'm now getting two OTA local Fox stations (HD and SD) that are coming in perfectly. Before, they were jumbled as they came in. Also, the stability has been maintained with the local OTA, which was a nice fix with L186.

In short, this is a very good upgrade for me with respect to scanning available OTA channels.

Bad news - - -
Still no OTA guide data yet. I guess, all things in due time.

Incidentally, the OLYMPICS in HD is AWESOME. The opening ceremonies, despite being unbearingly boring, were amazing to watch in terms of watching HD color and clarity. I watched, paused, rewound and fast forward everything on OTA HD NBC, and it has been completely superb.

I'm just still holding out for the OTA guide data.

ANY NEWS ON OTA GUIDE DATA yet? I thought it would be this month. What about next?

L188 is scheduled for mid-August (which probably won't happen, as we're at mid-August now...)

L189 is scheduled for mid-September...

And I did say MAY :) No bets from me!

My money is on...

String everyone along for about 3 years.
We will hear rumors of people that have seen OTA guides that work.
Dish will start saying things like "OTA guides are not something we promised but will hopefully add soon".
Then with no warning at all Dish will say there is a "technical" reason that they can't supply OTA guide information via satellite.
New stickers will show up on the back of 921's that say 'No OTA Guide Here'.
Dish will then act like it never happened.

Hmm.. now that I think of it - this does sound familiar doesn't it? :D

I'm not so sure that the OTA guide is coming soon or at all. The woman on the August Tech Chat said the feature was coming in September, however, she also said it was going to be the same as implemented on the 811. The 811 obviously doesn't have an OTA program guide. I think they are simply talking about implementing the local channel remapping where the four digit numbers are remapped into their proper local broadcast positions (i.e. 2-69).

I called in during the May Tech Chat and was told that they weren't even working on a guide, although, on that chat Dan Minnick did say it would be out in June. I emailed during the August Tech Chat and didn't even get the courtesy of a response. I'm wondering now if they are really even working on the guide or simply the remapping.

Actually, to me, it no longer matters as I'm switching to Direct TV and the HDTivo. I'm sick and tired of Dish making promises and then not fulfilling them. They can keep their buggy hardware which lacks an OTA program guide and make all the promises they like. I will no longer put up with their cr*p!

Bob

bobl said:
...........................Actually, to me, it no longer matters as I'm switching to Direct TV and the HDTivo. I'm sick and tired of Dish making promises and then not fulfilling them. They can keep their buggy hardware which lacks an OTA program guide and make all the promises they like. I will no longer put up with their cr*p!

Bob
I may join you later this year with a switch.

I will wait & see if/when D* adds more HD as Murdoch says. Also, it seems that the HDTivo is by far a better product.

The other option is Voom & their upcoming HD DVR. However, Voom does not have HDNet which is one of my favorite channels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts