Good News and Bad News about 5g and the replacement C Band Satellites

Houston Rockets

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 6, 2021
Dallas Texas
The Good News about 5g is we are going to have either every or close to every C Band Satellite replaced by December 2023
The Good News the new replace C Band Satellite will be at 20 watts instead of the 10 watts some of the old C Band Birds have now.
The Good News by them replacing most or all the C Band Satellites C band should be around for at least the next 15 years

The Bad News we are only going to have around 10-12 Transponder per new C Band satellite.
The Bad News we will be having Transponder's spread out all over different C Band Satellites so your actuator's will be getting a lot of work.
The Bad News I drove by a Comcast Cable company and they had everyone of their C Band Satellite dishes that were on their roof of there build on moving dollies,
I'm not sure if they were removing them or just relocating them on the count of the 5g.
The Bad News some might have to Relocate their C Band Satellite Dishes or replace their LNB's because of 5g that is to be determine later.

• Sad
Reactions: navychop
Huh??? Not following the good news / bad news presented in this post. The auctions happened several years ago. The majority of service moves for the 3.7GHz auction already happen back in 2021. You will notice very few transponders below 3800MHz. These satellites do not require replacement. The unused transponders are simply turned off.

The majority of the new satellites were paid for by a portion of the auction proceeds, awarded for meeting the deadline to clear the frequencies. New satellites frequencies reflect the usage of the market. Why place hardware in space with capacity which will not be used? Better frequency management provides increased efficiency and extended life expectancy (and probabably significant cost savings).

If the second round of auctions happen, another services shuffle will occur in a few years and downlinks will be cleared up to 4000MHz.

The major cable companies are decommisioning local headends and instead using a regional downlink center to fiber to the local distribution. Less infastructure and lower maintenence. Doubt this has anything to do with 5g as filtering has proven to be extremely effective.

Last edited:
Huh??? Not following the good news / bad news presented in this post. The auctions happened several years ago. The majority of service moves for the 3.7GHz auction already happen back in 2021. You will notice very few transponders below 3800MHz. These satellites do not require replacement. The unused transponders are simply turned off.

The majority of the new satellites were paid for by a portion of the auction proceeds, awarded for meeting the deadline to clear the frequencies. New satellites frequencies reflect the usage of the market. Why place hardware in space with capacity which will not be used? Better frequency management provides increased efficiency and extended life expectancy (and probabably significant cost savings).

If the second round of auctions happen, another services shuffle will occur in a few years and downlinks will be cleared up to 4000MHz.

The major cable companies are decommisioning local headends and instead using a regional downlink center to fiber to the local distribution. Less infastructure and lower maintenence. Doubt this has anything to do with 5g as filtering has proven to be extremely effective.
I am trying be optimistic the good news is they are replacing these old weak C band Satellite with 20 watt new birds.. The 500 MHz spilt will be like this
200 hz for C Band and 280 for 5g with 20hz set up for a boundary. We will only be losing few or no TP's they will just be spread it out among difference satellites.

That is good news it could be a whole lot worst... like in not having NO TP's for C Band.. So for everyone that is throwing the chairs off the titanic.. Remember what Aaron Rogers once said R E L A X

I'm happy we have FTA but I'm preparing for the possible end of my C Band hobby. These cable companies aren't ordering big 4.5m dishes for nothing. 10ft dishes may become the new 6ft dishes once every satellite is using the same transponders on the same polarity. I hope not...

Reactions: FTA4PA
I'm happy we have FTA but I'm preparing for the possible end of my C Band hobby. These cable companies aren't ordering big 4.5m dishes for nothing. 10ft dishes may become the new 6ft dishes once every satellite is using the same transponders on the same polarity. I hope not...
Hello did you read anything I just wrote So for everyone that is throwing the chairs off the titanic.. Remember what Aaron Rogers once said R E L A X
that exactly what you are doing.. Don't know how long you been on C Band, but back in the day of VC II people were saying the same thing this is the end might well get rid of your C Band Satellite dish and they was 30 yrs ago..

Hello did you read anything I just wrote So for everyone that is throwing the chairs off the titanic.. Remember what Aaron Rogers once said R E L A X
that exactly what you are doing.. Don't know how long you been on C Band, but back in the day of VC II people were saying the same thing this is the end might well get rid of your C Band Satellite dish and they was 30 yrs ago..
If you want just agreement, then I won't bother responding as to why this is so different than VCII.

• Love
Reactions: FTA4PA
A lot of people did get rid of their C-band dish.

Now the big question is how much is the difference on 10 watts bird to new 20 watts C band might or might not make a difference on mini buds at 1.2 meter dish size? :hungry :cool::hatsoff

A 1.2m dish size usually provides adequate gain for decoding, but not tight enough beam width to reject adjacent satellite signals. Increased transponder power will likely degrade signal quality when using a 1.2m dish as the interfering off axis signal will become stronger. In any case, the frequencies and power levels are coordinated and the link budgets will be calculated based on 2 degree compliant downlinks.

A 1.2m dish size usually provides adequate gain for decoding, but not tight enough beam width to reject adjacent satellite signals. Increased transponder power will likely degrade signal quality when using a 1.2m dish as the interfering off axis signal will become stronger. In any case, the frequencies and power levels are coordinated and the link budgets will be calculated based on 2 degree compliant downlinks.

Antennae certified for TX use with a compliant radiation pattern should theoretically become more popular as mini-BUD RX platforms due to the tighter tolerances. This should include a decent portion of the ChannelMaster, Prodelin, GD Satcom, Skyware Global, etc. product lines.

Everyone else's mileage may vary.

These small aperture antennas beamwidth patterns are designed for KU and KA band frequencies and meeting 2 degree compliance. At Ku band frequencies, a 90cm dish will provide 3db attenuation at a two degrees offset. A 90cm has a C-band beamwidth of approximately 4.5 degrees.

Reminder, a 2 degree compliant (3dB attenuation) C-band minimum dish size is approximately 8 feet.

www.satsig.net/pointing/antenna-beamwidth-calculator.htm