Good Remote for VOOM - MX-700

Geno

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 28, 2003
In case anyone is interested, I bought and have been using an MX-700 from Universal Remote. One reason I bought it was it uses all hard buttons, which I prefer over the touchscreens. It does have an LCD for menu info.

The other reason I bought it was that on remotecentral.com I was able to download a program file already set up with VOOM codes. I downloaded them along with the codes to the other parts of my system and everything works really good. It's the first time in years I've been able to use only 1 remote for everything. Everything lights up with a touch of a button on the side. It was even easy to program a master volume to work regardless of which component I am using. I even easily recorded a macro to power eveything up or off with one button. These last two features are handier than you think. Remotecentral.com has tons of codes for other components.

Its not quite as colorfull as the VOOM remote, but its much more functional. I'm using a Denon 4802 reciever, Panasonic RP91 DVD, and my VOOM box. My DirecTivo box sits lonely and unplugged in the corner.

I hope this is helpful to somebody. :)

try this one..it's great..EVEN the Wives can use it.. You have to hook it up to a computer via usb cable at first or for changes you fill out what you have VOOm, Toshiba tv, pioneer LD yamaha receiver etc etc (with the model #'s) then it downloads everything to your remote and walla! everything is there with HARD buttons .WATCH MOVIE..turns on tv to right imput, receiver same, voom box etc then it becomes your VOOm control..read the info watch the demo..i have had a lot of remotes including the pronto and this is the easiest by far..you can get it for $130 or so.....http://www.harmonyremote.com/......sst659

Sean Mota said:
how much did you pay for the remote? Any sites?

I think it was $349.00 + shipping. I bought it direct from Universal Remote's website, but if you go to remotecentral.com, there are other sellers you can link to. I think they all charged the same. That's why I wnet ahead and got it from the manufacturer. They shipped it out the next day.

Another great thing is you always have the remote memory backed up because you save your profiles on the pc and download them to the remote via cable.

I alternate between a Pronto6000 (big bucks) & MX-800 (identical to 700 but includes RF). I ended up getting better codes (and labels) than Universal got directly from Voom, so I passed them on.

Bluedot com or any of the vendors frequenting remotecentral are good. I got mine open box from vendor at about 3/5th list.

Good stuff,
Tim

from the boston globe a review, No i do not work for them!!I just found this one amazing compared to the others that use macros etc and i have the pronto and MX-500 just trying to be helpfull..

"If ease of setup and use are at the top of your wish list, the new Harmony SST-659 Family Remote ($199) is definitely worth a look. Its shape and button layout are more like a "regular" remote, with a small LCD screen at the top that displays help messages, TV listings, DVD, and CD information.

"Activity" buttons on the remote are clearly marked ("watch a movie," "watch TV," "listen to music") and every button as well as the screen are backlit, making it very easy to see in a darkened room.

To set up the remote you connect it to a computer (Mac or Windows) using a USB cable, run the installation software, connect to the Internet, and walk through a Web setup wizard. After entering the manufacturer and model numbers of your equipment and configuring the activities keys, which make sure your TV is set to Channel 3 for your cable box, for instance, you're ready to go.

Unless your computer is located in the same room as your home entertainment equipment, make sure that you have a list of the model numbers before you sit down to go through the Web setup. In the nice touch department, there's a form for listing your components included in the manual. Gather up all of your manufacturer remotes, too. During setup I was prompted to use the infrared learning mode for a couple of unrecognized devices.

After setup, the Harmony Family Remote was easy to use and just plain fun. Under the media button you'll find TV listings and a feature called Zap that lets you bookmark a TV show and later log onto an account at harmonyremote.com to view related information about a show on the Web
"

pronto, mx-x00, harmony

I have to second the thoughts about the new Harmony remotes. They are a giant leap forward in remote usability. I have a VERY complex system that my wife can now run. I can't overemphasize how much better life is when your wife can run your home theater. I still won't let her, but she at least no longer believes I'm somehow conspiring against her.

The Harmony is heads and shoulders more useful than the others mentioned, all of which I've used. I don't have a very tip-top-end home theater system, but I have a good one.