Goodbye analog TV in Minneapolis

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Saw posted elsewhere that the last analog station in Minneapolis (WUMN-LP) channel 13 Univision has converted to digital as of yesterday

channel 17-1 (RF17)...maybe they will map to 13

The last Low Power?

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

The last Low Power?
yes

most of the low power stations converted back after the dtv conversion but wumn was the last holdout. it was owned by equity broadcasting which went belly up in 2009 and a bank owned it for a while.

analog it was a whole whopping 1250 watts due to short spacing with 13 eau claire, wi. digital its 15000 watts so a major upgrade.

I thought there was a federal mandate a few years ago that all transmissions should be digital? Isn't this kind of late?
full power stations...yes 2009. go digital on 6/12/09 or go dark
low powered stations...at the time NO...now its like the end of 2015 or something like that

there are still low powered analog stations in MN. As example by the lake house (Aitkin, MN) there is a analog translator (K39GG) of the Fox station in Duluth (KQDS)

Another example is in Willmar. There is a translator farm there but channel 30 is still in analog for ABC (most folks in Willmar can get KSAX in Alexandria with the right antenna)
speaking of Alex, there is a analog translator of ABC on channel 18 through the co-op there. Doesnt really make sense as KSAX is based in Alex but its way south of town

My buddy lives in Park Rapids and get KSAX (KSTP) via analog channel 32
Brainerd has 2 translators. 16 (ABC) and 48 (FOX). Both are fed via Directv receivers (saw a message on the screen about upgrading the receiver) ;)

current list of analog tv stations in MN. all are owned by the respective owners of the station it reboradcasts except for the 2 in alexandria and kqeg in lacrescent
the 51 in alex is part of selectivetv and is rebroadcasting c-span

39 FOX Aitkin
18 ABC Alex
51 --- Alex
28 ABC Bemidji
30 FOX Bemidji
16 ABC Brainerd
28 FOX Brainerd
29 FOX Grand Rapids
15 FOX Hibbing
45 FOX I Falls
23 Ion LaCrescent
49 FOX Little Falls
32 ABC Park Rapids
47 FOX Virginia
17 ABC Wadena
49 FOX Walker
30 ABC Willmar

I was just posting what was left ;)

whats crazy is most of the translators do not have construction permits to convert to digital as of yet so they will probably go off the air when the LP conversion happens

I thought there was a federal mandate a few years ago that all transmissions should be digital? Isn't this kind of late?
Still plenty of low powered analog stations at 6. Most are really radio stations but they are licensed as LPTV.

Well, if they're not causing interference, not much reason to kill them off.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App using an iPhone.

I was just pointing out that Low powered analog is still out there. There are some people who compalin to the FCC about wha tthey feel is an abuse of the license but I suspect taht no action will be taken. I think the authority to operate that way expires in the next year or two.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)