Goodbye Charlie... (OFFICIAL I am Leaving DISH Thread)

lol.. if we had "I'm leaving" vs. "I'm staying" threads, you would have one with 1000's of people.. the other with dozens.. lol.. :)

Funny you should say that... Check out which one has more posts and more unique posters ;) .

Question for the Dish folk actually. I'm probably going to switch to DirecTV for several reasons, but that's not really relevant for this post.

My question is as follows. If I cancel with Dish now, go with D* for 2 years, and want to switch back to Dish. Will Dish treat me as a new sub allowing me to get whatever new sub promo's are running at that time?

Yes.

Question for the Dish folk actually. I'm probably going to switch to DirecTV for several reasons, but that's not really relevant for this post.

My question is as follows. If I cancel with Dish now, go with D* for 2 years, and want to switch back to Dish. Will Dish treat me as a new sub allowing me to get whatever new sub promo's are running at that time?

a lot can happen in two years, but if you had switch two years ago and were coming back today you would get Formers DHA-24 (or whatever they are calling it now) which means you would be required to sign a two year commitment but would get whatever DHA deal is going on for new customers at the time.
You are never a new customer again once you have been a customer before...

OK, it's a done deal. My D* install was yesterday afternoon. Went great. I'm now a D* sub instead of an E* sub. I'm not an angry switcher. E* couldn't give me what I needed. D* could. It's kind of a shame because I liked Dish and was with them for probably 13 years or more.

No tears. No stamping feet. No drama. Just "Buh bye". :)

OK, it's a done deal. My D* install was yesterday afternoon. Went great. I'm now a D* sub instead of an E* sub. I'm not an angry switcher. E* couldn't give me what I needed. D* could. It's kind of a shame because I liked Dish and was with them for probably 13 years or more.

No tears. No stamping feet. No drama. Just "Buh bye". :)

Exactly what I did after 13+ years...Exactly my thoughts!:up

Signed up for Direct TV today over this. After Voom, I have little patience for this. Will now have HD on 3 sets and a package more closely aligned to what we actually watch for the same cost. Not as many channels, but the ones that count.

It doesn't matter who the provider is when the re-transmission mission comes to an end all will face the same issue.
Charlie and Cablevision may be doing you all a favor so you don't have to go through this.

I'm leaving next Monday and going back to Time Warner. Time Warner has improved on their HD channels so they have more than Dish now. Sure, I have to pay a early termination fee with Dish, but I am saving $70.00 a month with bundling with Time Warner. I was hoping that the Fox Sports channels would be back, but since they are not, then I am not counting on Fox staying on as well. I'm disappointed with Dish, but it was hard to say no to saving $70 a month on the total bill (Phone, internet, and TV).

For those that say the grass isn’t always greener on the other side…well sometimes it is. After over 5 years with them, I dropped Dish 6 1/2 years go and haven’t looked back. Right now, I wouldn’t take Dish Network if the service was offered to me free for life. While I’m casual baseball fan and root for the Yankees, the lack of YES, MLB Network, their respective HD feeds and MLB Extra Innings mean a little to me, but now with no MSG, you’d have to be out of your friggen mind to get me back at any cost. I live and die with the drop of a puck. Sabres hockey means everything to me. It would be bad enough not having MSG in HD, but with no MSG period, NEVER! If I would have remained a Dish Network subscriber for whatever reason, as of 10/1/10 I would have been gone.

Dish Network might as well not even operate in Western NY anymore. Hockey lives here. In this area, Sabres hockey will beat out any primetime show in ratings. It’s funny how the big time local Dish Network retailer here, Intertech, will spread nothing but FUD if there’s a contract dispute involving TW, and plaster advertising all over the place, but now the table is turned and there is no fear, uncertainty or doubt, all there is, is the fact. The fact is Dish doesn’t have MSG. Intertech is pretty quiet now.

I left Dish Network in 2004 for DirecTV due to the atrocious DishDVR501 and 508 and the upcoming Viacom dispute. Then exactly 2 years later, as soon as the contract was done, I did something I thought I’d never do, go back to Time Warner Cable. I just bought my first HDTV and had no intention of after dropping over $2000 on a TV, dropping another $1000 on a soon to be obsolete HD DirecTiVo (MPEG 4 was on the horizon about 6 months away), so I went with TW and opted to lease the hardware. I had Road Runner for a year and a half at that point, and that was rock solid, zero outages, zero problems. So I put my faith that the TV service would be the same way and I wasn’t disappointed. I had a gut feeling they would get serious about HD they’ve proven themselves to be. Time Warner in NYC has more HD channels than any other provider in the country and a good portion of those channels are available in my area. And will I don’t get fringe channels like Shorts HD and Fashion TV HD, I do get ESPNEWS HD, FX HD, and had ESPN U HD less than a month after it launched over two years ago.

While Time Warner is no stranger to contracts disputes of late, at least we haven’t lost any major programming. HDNet and HDNet were the only two channels to be removed from TW as a result of a contract dispute and they can stay gone. When those channels were pulled we got Smithsonian HD and MGM HD. Smithsonian HD quickly became one of my favorite channels.

So to all those leaving Dish Network for whatever reason, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your new service. Dish is not all they’re cracked up to be and when we canceled service the CSR said ‘WHEN you come back, there will be a $25 reconnect fee’. That smug attitude gets you nowhere and is just one of many things that turned me off of them. In the past 4 1/2 years with Time Warner I've experienced hands down the best customer service, a very reliable service and a constant strive to improve, something Dish Network never showed me while i was a sub.

For those that say the grass isn’t always greener on the other side…well sometimes it is. After over 5 years with them, I dropped Dish 6 1/2 years go and haven’t looked back. Right now, I wouldn’t take Dish Network if the service was offered to me free for life. While I’m casual baseball fan and root for the Yankees, the lack of YES, MLB Network, their respective HD feeds and MLB Extra Innings mean a little to me, but now with no MSG, you’d have to be out of your friggen mind to get me back at any cost. I live and die with the drop of a puck. Sabres hockey means everything to me. It would be bad enough not having MSG in HD, but with no MSG period, NEVER! If I would have remained a Dish Network subscriber for whatever reason, as of 10/1/10 I would have been gone.

Dish Network might as well not even operate in Western NY anymore. Hockey lives here. In this area, Sabres hockey will beat out any primetime show in ratings. It’s funny how the big time local Dish Network retailer here, Intertech, will spread nothing but FUD if there’s a contract dispute involving TW, and plaster advertising all over the place, but now the table is turned and there is no fear, uncertainty or doubt, all there is, is the fact. The fact is Dish doesn’t have MSG. Intertech is pretty quiet now.

I left Dish Network in 2004 for DirecTV due to the atrocious DishDVR501 and 508 and the upcoming Viacom dispute. Then exactly 2 years later, as soon as the contract was done, I did something I thought I’d never do, go back to Time Warner Cable. I just bought my first HDTV and had no intention of after dropping over $2000 on a TV, dropping another $1000 on a soon to be obsolete HD DirecTiVo (MPEG 4 was on the horizon about 6 months away), so I went with TW and opted to lease the hardware. I had Road Runner for a year and a half at that point, and that was rock solid, zero outages, zero problems. So I put my faith that the TV service would be the same way and I wasn’t disappointed. I had a gut feeling they would get serious about HD they’ve proven themselves to be. Time Warner in NYC has more HD channels than any other provider in the country and a good portion of those channels are available in my area. And will I don’t get fringe channels like Shorts HD and Fashion TV HD, I do get ESPNEWS HD, FX HD, and had ESPN U HD less than a month after it launched over two years ago.

While Time Warner is no stranger to contracts disputes of late, at least we haven’t lost any major programming. HDNet and HDNet were the only two channels to be removed from TW as a result of a contract dispute and they can stay gone. When those channels were pulled we got Smithsonian HD and MGM HD. Smithsonian HD quickly became one of my favorite channels.

So to all those leaving Dish Network for whatever reason, I sincerely wish you the best of luck with your new service. Dish is not all they’re cracked up to be and when we canceled service the CSR said ‘WHEN you come back, there will be a $25 reconnect fee’. That smug attitude gets you nowhere and is just one of many things that turned me off of them. In the past 4 1/2 years with Time Warner I've experienced hands down the best customer service, a very reliable service and a constant strive to improve, something Dish Network never showed me while i was a sub.

I dumped DISH over two years ago and couldn't be happier. That same smug non-caring attitude from several csr's I was dealing with over some issues , was one on the main reasons I left. After the VOOM debacle and losing my favorite HD channel, MONSTERS HD, I'm now hoping that this dispute with FOX leads many DISH subs to leave.

IF you are a sports fan then DISH is not for you anyway. DISH is geared for the low cost consumer or movie centric subs. DIRECTV is all about sports and those who want to pay more to see them.

IF you are a sports fan then DISH is not for you anyway. DISH is geared for the low cost consumer or movie centric subs. DIRECTV is all about sports and those who want to pay more to see them.
I agree and disagree with parts of this. I was a Dish customer for somewhere around 13 or 15 years. No premiums. No sports packs. Just a decent TV package (at the end it was AT250). There are a couple of channels carried by E* that aren't carried by D* and also the other way around. For a standard package, devoid of premium, sports packs, etc, the cost for equivalent programming is nearly the same. When all promos are gone I'll actually be paying $3 a month less for D*. I don't consider that to be any kind of significant difference.

In watching a LOT of these E* vs D* programming threads, I find that most of the contention boils down to just a handful of channels. Most of the time they are kind of niche channels. They are important to some and not to others. I really think both providers offer a broad range of programming and each of them carries nearly all of teh HD channels that are available. Neither carries everything.

That being said, I think that we, as consumers, simply have to look at the channels offered and the features of the equipment and operation, and make a decision. And if things change over time, we may change our minds and switch.

Let's face it, if you started out driving Chevrolets because you liked them, and the dealer always took good care of you and they CONTINUED to satisfy you wants and needs, you'd keep buying them. If, however, their models ceased to deliver and satisfy you wants and needs, or if the dealer started taking you for granted and you weren't getting good service, you might consider changing to Dodge or Saturn or Lexus or whoever it was that met you needs. The change might not be convenient or comfortable as there are always unknowns and you have to learn about your new choice. But it's consumer choice. Despite your long standing relationship with Chevrolet, you'd still switch if things changed over time and they no longer suited you.

I fail to see how choosing, switching, adjusting, your satellite programming provider is significantly different from choosing your car. It's just goods.

Keep it simple. :)

Colleague of mine just left Dish and went to FiOs because he lost FSN West. The only reason he pays for TV is so he can watch the Kings. He was deciding between FiOs and Direct and went with FiOs because with the bundling, it will be much less expensive for him.

When he called to cancel Dish, they offered him $10 off his bill for a year, the sports pack for free, and CI for free. He nicely said that he appreciated the offer, but none of those will allow him to watch the Kings

Been a loyal Dish customer for 10 years but tomorrow is my last day with them. I've finally had enough of buggy hardware and promises of new technology that take much longer than promised. But the Fox deal finally pushed me over the edge. This negotiations scenario has played out way too many times.

And.. the only thing they wanted to offer me not to leave are channels that I already subscribe to in place of FX, etc.

I asked Dish to credit my bill and they offered me HDNET in place of the lost channels. AWESOME!!! But I already have the channel...in three different places in the channel grid..very nice...

Jeff

I would take out movies. As a movie fan satellite TV is one of the last places I’d look. I know a few movie channels have been added over the past year or two in HD but satellite still lacks a lot. Especially when it comes to Cinemax and Dish does not carry the three extra Showtime channels. Only thing Dish has in the way of movies that is somewhat unique is Epix. But honestly I don’t see Epix being around for the long haul. Not enough providers are picking it up, they have no original programming and they have failed to make a name for themselves.

With cable I get every movie channel in existence except for the Epix channels and MoviePlex which is idiotic to begin with and I get all available premium movie channels in HD but Retroplex and Indeplex.

So IMO Dish only wins on budget. Which is fine. I have no interest in saving a dime to give up the world. My cable bill is $300+/month and I feel that’s an excellent value for what I get and I’m not looking to save a buck.

I also have decided to leave Dish. It was a hard decision, but I couldn't turn down U-Verse. They are giving me their top tv package (u-450) home phone, internet (12mb) & 3 receivers for 150.00 for a year. Also they threw in a 100.00 Visa Card. In a year I may come back, but I couldn't turn down that offer. The one thing I don't like is only one dvr. Guess i'll just watch stuff quicker or won't record as much. I am sure i'll survive. I will continue to read this forum. Hope Dish straightens out their issues with Fox soon for you all.

I am a longstanding Dish customer (since they bought Voom).
With the new Dual receiver & HD DVR fee's, I have dropped 2 of my 4 receivers from my account (dropped my 2nd ViP 622 and a 222K I had as well, as these went up to $17 + $14 / month each). I also dropped HBO, since I rarely watch it. My bill went from $123/month, down to just $81 now.

You might ask, how am I watching TV on the 2 HD sets that I no longer have receivers on?

Ah, there's the rub. I have always had a "slingbox pro" on my main ViP 622 in the home theater, and I have PC's by the other 2 HDTV locations... well, I just connected the HDMI port to the PC, and use the TV as an HD monitor on the PC, and setup the "slingplayer" to watch the Main DVR in the other 2 rooms. I am only a single person, so I don't need different content on each TV. Problem solved, and $17+14 back in my pocket each month.

why do I bring this up in this thread? simple. FiOS is comming to my town in the next few months, and now that I have proven I can live with a single HD DVR, I am very likely to switch to FIOS for their $99/month deal for HD, Internet and Telephone [for 1 year] (I don't even have a home phone any longer, not needed with the iPhone and the AT&T microcell, which makes a 3G cell in your house routed over your internet connection). Again, this is purely a dollars/month decision. Do I keep spending $81/month on Dish and $56 on my COMCAST internet, or go with FiOS for $99/month for everything... not much of a decision, and I could have a free home phone for a year (probably won't get it though)

So, these are my final months with Dish, I called "customer retention" to see if there was anything they could offer me, and after being a customer for over 10 years, nope, nothing can be done.

It was a fun ride. anyone need a ViP622 or 2? (I own both of mine) I also have a ViP 222K with the OTA module for sale as well. Only the ViP 211 is leased and will be returned to Dish.

Mitch

When you switch, do the D* techs just replace the dish in the same spot? How different is the setup?

Mine was pointed in a different direction that couldn't clear some trees, so my dish had to go in a different place.

But I'm really getting tired of this. I switched from FIOS to U-verse in August to get Hallmark, then they dropped it. Then I switched to Dish and they dropped FX. Then I switched to Cablevision and they dropped Fox. Then I switched to DirecTV and they dropped G4. So I dropped DirecTV and got rabbit ears. So far it's cost me $3,000 in termination and equipment fees and $2,000 lost time from work to have all these installs done. Then I lost my job for taking so much time off work. And because of the all the expenses for switching, I'm missed one too many mortgage payments and was foreclosed on. Then I had to sell my TV to buy food. My wife left me for a guy with cable. Now I live in a cardboard box behind best buy so I can look in the window to watch Fox. Ironically it's the same box my TV came in.
:facepalm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)