Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
I am getting word that AT&T has decided to retire the DIRECTV Cyclone Logo. And for now is just using the word DIRECTV as it's logo.

I considered the DIRECTV Logo one of America's most recognizable logos, so I am surprised to see it going away.

To see the history of the logo check out http://logos.wikia.com/wiki/DirecTV

With the AT&T merger now in place, and the new Star Wars just around the corner....

Time for the new logo to be the old 'Death Star" again!.....lol

I am happy to see this deal now complete. I'm buying more T today in the pull back with this announcement. The stock is one of the safest ones to be in for Dividend growth and basis stability. I do not have DirecTV service or AT&T cell service but the stock has been very good to me. I'm a Verizon / DishNetwork fan and customer with just a couple hundred shares of Verizon.

I'll be following you DirecTV customers here to see how it goes now that it is AT&T.

I do wonder if AT&T will drop the DirecTV name in the future.

Scott, you may want to keep us up on where the relation you planted with DirecTV recently stands with this finalized. Is it still a go?

I was just fixing to make a post, asking the question if anyone had noticed that the cyclone logo was gone from DirecTV's website. If you ask me, AT&T is making a mistake by integrating DirecTV too tightly within the marketing and advertising structure of AT&T. As strong of a brand as DirecTV is/was on its own, it would have been better to just be operated as a standalone division, rather than wholly integrating, especially when it comes to marketing the service. Offer the discounts that you will offer to AT&T customers, and advertise that you can get the deals if you are a current customer or switch, but trying to completely integrate a brand and a trademark that is well known and has been around since 1994 is not smart marketing if you ask me [which they didn't :) ]. It will not surprise me if in the future they completely do away with the brand and make it AT&T TV or something along those lines. It will also not surprise me if they begin to pull back from extending the availability of UVerse, stop signing up UVerse customers, and eventually migrate UVerse subs to DTV.

I'm no accountant but I would imagine that would be an accounting nightmare trying to operate as a separate division and still tie in a bundle of services deal.

I never liked this merger since the beginning and I'm definitely not liking what I'm seeing so far, it seems to me like AT&T is being too fast to put it our face that they are the bosses now.
Also just a day or two after the acquisition they integrated their stupid branding and even put it on the screen saver, that same day my Genie froze twice and has frozen 3 times after that, something that NEVER happened in the year and half I have had it, I think they are gonna bring DirecTV to the ground faster than we think.

Reactions: madmadworld
I'm no accountant but I would imagine that would be an accounting nightmare trying to operate as a separate division and still tie in a bundle of services deal.
Wouldn't be that hard, they would just consolidate all the financial statements on a quarterly basis. They were offing a bundle before the merger anyway. I was, however, mainly speaking of the way they market the service. I believe that you will see the bundling deals with CenturyLink, Windstream, Verizon, CincinnatiBell, etc... bundles no longer being offered.

Noticed that on the banner after MLB EI games and on the iPhone app. Can't wait to see the new integrated Death Star logo combined into a DirecTV logo.(not)

I was just fixing to make a post, asking the question if anyone had noticed that the cyclone logo was gone from DirecTV's website. If you ask me, AT&T is making a mistake by integrating DirecTV too tightly within the marketing and advertising structure of AT&T. As strong of a brand as DirecTV is/was on its own, it would have been better to just be operated as a standalone division, rather than wholly integrating, especially when it comes to marketing the service. Offer the discounts that you will offer to AT&T customers, and advertise that you can get the deals if you are a current customer or switch, but trying to completely integrate a brand and a trademark that is well known and has been around since 1994 is not smart marketing if you ask me [which they didn't :) ]. It will not surprise me if in the future they completely do away with the brand and make it AT&T TV or something along those lines. It will also not surprise me if they begin to pull back from extending the availability of UVerse, stop signing up UVerse customers, and eventually migrate UVerse subs to DTV.
I don't see them stopping selling U Verse, U Verse is only available in so many places, D* is available in Most places.
I think they will keep U Verse going the way they currently are, that said, they have already slowed the V Rad deployment in many areas, that said I don't see them pushing U Verse subs to D* any time soon or at all.
Yes, it will be an option and you'll probably hear about how many have made a switch at some point over the year, but thats just a stat to show growth.

I do doubt they will deploy UVerse TV in any or many new areas. Wouldn't surprise me for them to eventually stop signing up NEW UVerse subs, let the ones that are happy stay, with intentions of migration.

I can see them using the AT&T Globe with DrecTV text sometime soon. The next logo will be just the Globe. As televisions change into the household viewer for everything in the home.

Reactions: DS0816
Converting all Directv customers to AT&T customers will help with contract negotiations and get better deals.

Current Uverse is already 10 years past its expiration date. They simply can't compete with Comcast offerings and charge nearly the same amount for significantly less performance. I can get 18mbs Uverse here or 75mbs Comast for about the same amount of money. Difference is my Comcast actually hits 75mbs+ where as Uverse is a crap shoot if it will be 8-18mbs. Uverse is actually $10 more expensive.

I don't know what their plan is ultimately but running video and internet over copper isn't the future.

AT&T will have to build out the fiber it promised and directv can be the cash cow to support that build out while still remaining a viable offering just about everywhere. People that expected things to remain "the same" for years and years were delusional.

I just don't see the point--at so early a stage--do just bin one of the most recognizable and successful marketing logos. Part of me sees this as AT&T's rush to start the gutting of everything good about DirecTV. Remember AT&T have the worst reputation among all well-known wireless carriers for both spotty reception and frustrating business practices affecting consumers of AT&T wireless. And let us not forget the utter failure of Uverse, also, in my experience, a universally frustrating experience (a lot relating to the horrible wireless boxes) by more users compared to any other MVPD, further diminished by AT&T's cheapskate decision to build out a fiber to the node, and all this us why AT&T bought DirecTV: because Uverse was so bad!

I await the AT&T causing something of a death by a thousand cuts for DirecTV over the years. It would be AT&T's track record.

For the average person, is anyone really going to notice or care?

I absolutely cannot stand the whole psychology behind marketing and rebranding. A group of overpaid stooges in AT&Ts marketing department came to a decision to change the logo. Like when Dish Network dropped the ‘Network’ part, Comcast calling their suite of products Xfinity, Time Warner Cable making their logo thinner after TWC was spun off from Time Warner Inc. The whole idea of rebranding aggravates me too. Radio Shack wanted to be known as ‘The Shack’, that didn’t do much for them. Years ago a regional lower end supermarket chain here in Upstate NY, Tops Markets, tore down 3 or 4 of their existing stores and rebuilt them on the same ground, made them fancier in the inside and renamed the store Martins. A year or two later they rebranded again as Tops. The time, money and effort companies spend on this crap could be better spent in other areas.

Reactions: PopcornNMore
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)