Goodbye Yankee Stadium

sleepybear

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2006
Dirt Track
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's what I got in the mail this morning. It will be a sad day indeed! The massive two year revamp they did on this thing wasn't that long ago. I remember when Catfish Hunter came over from Oakland and he had to debut the whole year at Shea because they just re did it then. Wrigley and Dodger stadiums are next I guess.:yikes

yankeestadiumMedium.jpg

"The last home run in the house that Ruth built will be hit this week, then the wrecking ball will take its cuts at Yankee stadium. The walls of this American monument do talk and it has a few final secrets to share"

Note that SI confused the issue by picturing the "old" stadium, not the current one.

This was a dead issue in 1973, not sure why everyone is worked up about it.

Excelent post hancox.

The reality is that the original Yankee Stadium was 95% torn down and a new stadium not much different from the typical "ashtray" stadiums of the 1970-90 era was built on the same lot.

This is the move from a 1975 stadium. NBD.

i'm disappointed at the cover. I wish it were a higher res photo of the one my local newspaper ran the day of the All-Star game - yankee stadium aerial shot from behind home plate and you could see the lower seating bowl, the field, the outside of the stadium (in the photo foreground) that is behind the first base to home plate to third base areas, and the outfield seats with the apartment buildings or whatever other buildings towards the upper edge of the photo (behind the stadium boundary).

Newspaper printing technique makes it look okay, an SI cover would look sharp.

The current SI cover looks weird with the Mick putting a good charge into the ball and only about 10 people are watching him from the left field area seats.

i'm disappointed at the cover. I wish it were a higher res photo of the one my local newspaper ran the day of the All-Star game - yankee stadium aerial shot from behind home plate and you could see the lower seating bowl, the field, the outside of the stadium (in the photo foreground) that is behind the first base to home plate to third base areas, and the outfield seats with the apartment buildings or whatever other buildings towards the upper edge of the photo (behind the stadium boundary).

Newspaper printing technique makes it look okay, an SI cover would look sharp.

The current SI cover looks weird with the Mick putting a good charge into the ball and only about 10 people are watching him from the left field area seats.

Maybe that picture was selected by design. The title is called "It's Gone". Couple that title with the picture of the great Mickey Mantle in a barren stadium and it just might be the symbolism SI was alluding to.

Excelent post hancox.

The reality is that the original Yankee Stadium was 95% torn down and a new stadium not much different from the typical "ashtray" stadiums of the 1970-90 era was built on the same lot.

This is the move from a 1975 stadium. NBD.

The basic steelwork and much off the concrete that comprises the stadium is the same. What was changed was the upper deck and suport columns, field dimensions, field level, removal of the roof and freize and the bleechers.

95% is harsh. I'd say most of it is there but it is all structual. Anything you could visually see has been masked and redone. If you judge by that alone, you could make the high percentage arguement.

I compare it to restoring a classic car. By the time you remove all the rust and use new sheet metal, drop in a new engine, new interior, etc.. there isnt much original but that chassis is the same.

It's still the same grounds that Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, Joe DiMaggio, and Mickey Mantle played on. Who cares if this Yankee Stadium was refurbished in the mid 70's? Bottom line is the hallowed grounds those legends played on will be gone from baseball forever!

Last edited:
I will mis seeing the Bronx County Courthouse in the far distance behind right field and the water tower, which you can not see since the 1973-75 renovation, that is on a roof behind centerfield. For years it had a 7up logo on it. :river:river:river

As a Mets fan, this is one of those moments we will stand next to Yankees fans and pat them on the back and say job well done, job well done! That stadium (or the ground as some want to point out here) is/was ancient and hallowed baseball ground!

No good luck in the new one! I hope your cursed! HEE HEE Back to Yankee Hating!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)