Goof up on Ultra

That failed too. I sent Rick a email telling him what happened. I bought the box from him. Maybe he can tell me what to do, or maybe have it shipped to him.
I doubt the warranty will cover a failed upgrade. I really believe the chip is gone.

Almost did it!
I reformatted my USB to FAT 32 and put the 5020 FW into it. Plug it to my Ultra and reboot. I started to push the Ultra OK button repeatedly until the Menu screen came up. Selected USB and it installed the FW and rebooted.
But, after the reboot, now I have the dark screen. No menu or anything. Got to be the PAL issue. Try again tomorrow.

Wonderful news!!! I got it going again! I will tell you about it tomorrow. I do want to thank you all for helping me. I really appreciate all the suggestions and tips.
I have to reinstall 0.9.5020 to get it going.

Almost did it!
I reformatted my USB to FAT 32 and put the 5020 FW into it. Plug it to my Ultra and reboot. I started to push the Ultra OK button repeatedly until the Menu screen came up. Selected USB and it installed the FW and rebooted.
But, after the reboot, now I have the dark screen. No menu or anything. Got to be the PAL issue. Try again tomorrow.

MrFTAMan,

Just read this thread and wanted to ask a Q and make a comment.

Q: Did you not have your USB flash drive formatted with FAT32 originally?

COM: It has been advised that FAT32 is the format that should be used for the USB drive or flash memory stick.
COM: Don't use the download option of firmware direct to the AZBox via it's internet connection, download to your PC first, check the FILE SIZE after download before proceeding as some sites don't seem to download the full file properly all the time.

Sorry that you experienced the troubles here. I am sure that you will remember not to take that direction in the future. :) I have used it once or twice, but I was very leary of it. I will always stick by the procedure that I cited in the thread that was referenced earlier. That procedure gives you more control and the opportunity to check the file before giving it to your box. I know that we would like to believe that these special options should be slick and great, but they are not always as reliable as we would hope or expect them to be. The main thing I dislike is that if you lose your internet connection while downloading direct to your AZBox, you could be screwed just the same as powering off while the procedure is underway. If you download to your PC first, and you lose connection, you can just erase what you received and start over. No harm, no foul.

Sorry that this happened to you. I know that it is a pain. I have done some things that wiped out my boxes, too. So, I can speak on some issues with authority (from first hand experience). Worst thing about this is that you don't always get the same results. Sometimes it is acceptable and sometimes it hoses you. The USB way (with a flash drive) is the most acceptable, so stick with that.

I do urge you to read my "RECOVERY PROCEDURE" if you can locate it. I posted it earlier this winter. If you ever do KILL your AZBox, this procedure may get you backed out of that situation if no hardware damage is caused.

RADAR

Wonderful news!!! I got it going again! I will tell you about it tomorrow. I do want to thank you all for helping me. I really appreciate all the suggestions and tips.
I have to reinstall 0.9.5020 to get it going.

I am very glad for you! I am sure you're much relieved! I had to post my previous information, regardless. That's for others who come this way and for the future of any AZBox user.
For certain, I am eager to read your notes as to how you recovered your AZBox. Good going, MrFTAMan!

RADAR

Thank you guys for your comments and praises! i am sooooo relieved when I saw that menu pop up. iq180 (post #12) and Keith (post #20) mentioned about using the OK button during bootup. So I searched my computer folders on all my Azbox documents and softwares and found one I downloaded back when I bought my Ultra. It was a document one of the Satelliteguys member complied concerning emergency reflashing of the FW. In it, there is directions on what to do as far as emergency re flash in event of the AZBOX boxes crash.
I had a USB stick that had the FW I needed to reinstall. For some reason, the Ultra couldn't read it. So I reformat it to the FAT32 format again and put the original FW that the Ultra had in it. I plugged the USB to the Ultra and tried to reboot.
The document I am using mentioned about using the OK button during the reboot phase. I turned the Ultra off at the back panel, wait a few seconds, then turn it back on. The instructions stated I need to start pressing the OK buton when the CHECING phase start. When I did, the popup screen came ip Did what the rest of the instructions said to do and before long, my box was humming again!
At this point I have 2 satellites programmed.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is this:
I want to have the latest FW installed. Do I need to install all the FWs up to the 5306? And do I need to be Formatting the "Application Area" each time?
I will definitely use the USB method instead of the internet way thru the Ultra. I learned a hard lesson on being careful pressing the buttons on my remote while doing a critical project.
Two years ago I lost my Traxis 3500 by forgetting to include certain files needed to complete the FW. Made the box a brick and I have been sick about it ever since.
Imagine what went thru my mind when this situation happened to my Ultra!!!

My question is this:
I want to have the latest FW installed. Do I need to install all the FWs up to the 5306? And do I need to be Formatting the "Application Area" each time?
I will definitely use the USB method instead of the internet way thru the Ultra. I learned a hard lesson on being careful pressing the buttons on my remote while doing a critical project.
Two years ago I lost my Traxis 3500 by forgetting to include certain files needed to complete the FW. Made the box a brick and I have been sick about it ever since.
Imagine what went thru my mind when this situation happened to my Ultra!!!

You can just upgrade to 5306 from 5020 as it is the complete software, not just updates. As far as I know it is not necessary to format the "Application Area" (unless you have been having abnormal glitches, problems, etc., that aren't inherent in the firmware!). Make sure you save your all_channels.dat, DVBS.dat and antenna_list.dat via FTP, as sometimes (not always) the upgrade will change the satellite list and default it back to the "international list".

Anyhow, great that everything (finally!) worked out, as it was perplexing to me (and I'm sure extremely frustrating for you) as to why it wouldn't update via USB. And there is nothing worse than having a simple mistake cause endless hours of frustration trying to correct it (been there, done that)!

i think I accidentally downloaded the 3886 FW because I remember the FW had some 3 and 8s in it. And that FW may have not be for the Ultra, causing it to be useless (almost). I hope sharing this is help you AZBOX owners to be very careful what FW is going into the boxes. USB is the best route to use as far as loading new FWs.
It's a learning experience for me!!!

the usb fw upgrade is the safest way to go but you can get in trouble with that too, i was useing a usb to upgrade my az hd premium plus and half way done and the
power went off and after that i was in booting nothing would work after that and i had to do a JTAG to recover the az box now if and when i do fw upgrade i use
ac battery backup.and yes i did say JTAG and it is not easy but can be done.

MrFTAMan,

For the UPGRADE process, you can skip firmwares if you like (they do not need to be loaded in succession). As for the FORMAT APPLICATION AREA, I asked the OpenSat support team directly and they stated that if there are MAJOR differences in the firmware operations, then you should format the app area. (Then I assume that if you are having major problems or if you revert in firmware - i.e. install an older version, then you should format the app area since these are special circumstances.)

I take their instructions to infer that if there is just a minor adjustment or improvement to a few specific features, then it is not required. However, I format the app area each time - just because that is what I feel is the best practice.

RADAR

Thanks Radar. Rick told me to do the formatting of the app area three times because of the reasons you just mentioned.
These boxes are like our computers, when so much software changes, the cookies from the internet, etc go thru the computer, it tend to get sluggish in performance. I noticed that with the Ultra and after I formatted the app area, and reinstalling the 2050 FW it is doing much better. All the old settings that I did since I bought the box are completely gone. Kinda reminds me of defraging the harddrive on our computers.
I will install the newest FW tonight then program all my satellites. Did I read somewhere that I need to unplug my HDD before doing so?

These boxes are like our computers, when so much software changes, the cookies from the internet, etc go thru the computer, it tend to get sluggish in performance. I noticed that with the Ultra and after I formatted the app area, and reinstalling the 2050 FW it is doing much better. All the old settings that I did since I bought the box are completely gone. Kinda reminds me of defraging the harddrive on our computers.
I will install the newest FW tonight then program all my satellites. Did I read somewhere that I need to unplug my HDD before doing so?

These boxes are computers.

As for the hard drive; I have 3 azboxs each with an internal hard drive and have never disconnected any of them when installing a FW, either going forward or backwards in a FW.

One thing I have always stressed is to take your time whenever your doing things with the AzBox. It is so easy to turn on the hardware acceleration and foul things up later on not realizing you had done this, and as you figured out, you were too quick in doing a firmware update and did not realize you were installing one that was not what you wanted.

Another thing is to keep a good copy of your satellite/channel list on your pc so if you ever run into another problem again once you get it sorted out all you would need to do is to send it to the az using the ACC program and your up and running in less than 3 minutes.

Once you begin to start a satellite /channel list from scratch you do not want to stop until it is completed. I found this causes problems down the line if you stop and then continue on later. YMMV but it is what I have seen using the Ultra and Premium Plus.

Once completed save it to your pc .

Thanks Stargaze. I have better understanding.
I haven't install the latest FW until someone like you let me know about this issie.I will try tomorrow,

the usb fw upgrade is the safest way to go but you can get in trouble with that too, i was useing a usb to upgrade my az hd premium plus and half way done and the
power went off and after that i was in booting nothing would work after that and i had to do a JTAG to recover the az box now if and when i do fw upgrade i use
ac battery backup.and yes i did say JTAG and it is not easy but can be done.

Where is the JTAG information available?

Thanks Stargaze. I have better understanding.
I haven't install the latest FW until someone like you let me know about this issie.I will try tomorrow,

If you want a satellite/channel list up to date names ect... I have one or two set up here: I just uploaded these today.
https://sites.google.com/site/azboxtools/complete_n-a-_satellite_channel_list

Read the comments there:
This could save you hours of work.
They should be sent to the Az using the ACC program.
I have used them for over a month as well as several other people without a single problem.
If your using the Az to move the dish you will have to make specific settings for your box and re-save the list to your pc and re-send it to the azbox.
This procedure has been outlined in the Az User Guide that is stickied here at the top, or there may be a newer version at the website, use the link above to see if it is newer.

Sometimes I get busy and don't always update each site if I have the file there but the website is always the first to get updated.

Where is the JTAG information available?

You may want to look around here to see if Radar sent me that info:
https://sites.google.com/site/azboxtools/home

Look under AcWxRadar pdf files first as he may have sent it to me.

I don't remember putting that info into the user guide since this was information to be used only if there was a serious problem with the AzBox.

If it is not there and you find it let me know so I can make sure it is added for others who may have need of it.

I do know that OpenSat was sent the info at this site and they were quite impressed with the info there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)