Google CFO Says They're Working on 10 Gbps Connectivity

Yup, then Charter will buy them out, and give you a 250gb data cap per month. The only difference is now you can hit that in 2.5 minutes

Oh wait, they already do have a 250gb cap, silly me.

I would much rather see them greatly expand the footprint of google fiber to make the fixed home broadband market more competitive.

That's not to say I don't like the thought, but that's way more pipeline than most anything really needs right now.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Agreed. I would love the option of their 1Gbps $70 plan but that's only available in 3 cities in the US. Instead of working on 10Gbps when people don't even have networking equipment that can handle speeds that fast, it would be nice if they would start rolling out their 1Gbps service to more areas.

Yup, then Charter will buy them out, and give you a 250gb data cap per month. The only difference is now you can hit that in 2.5 minutes

Oh wait, they already do have a 250gb cap, silly me.

Don't think you have to worry there. Google is worth so much more than Charter that this isn't even a possibility. Have you ever actually been throttled or shut down with Charter for hitting the cap? I have been using their cable internet service for over 10 years now and my speeds have never once been throttled. I download several video games on Steam, PSN, and Xbox Live every month that range from 5GB to 50GB, I stream from Netflix, Amazon Instant, iTunes movies/TV, or MLB.tv every day, and all my Verizon cell phone minutes are routed through my internet connection. I think my monthly bandwidth usage is much higher than the average user and I have either never hit their cap or they don't enforce it.

I just use my internet the way I want to without worrying about how much data I use. Other people may have different experiences with this but at least for me, data caps are a non-issue.

Charter is/was based in St Louis. Horribly managed company. The board fired the old CEO and they brought in someone new, and he moved the executives to NY, where he lives. Charter was in bankruptcy a few years ago, not sure how they survived.

Charter is/was based in St Louis. Horribly managed company. The board fired the old CEO and they brought in someone new, and he moved the executives to NY, where he lives. Charter was in bankruptcy a few years ago, not sure how they survived.

Exactly that, bankruptcy and blowing off ALL their debts. Now that they got rid of their old debts, they are buying up companies left and right, and actually have a CEO that seems to know what he's doing.

P.S. NO, I have never been throttled on Charter as of yet, but I know for a fact a neighbor got an email telling him he went over the limit of 250gb's a month, and told him not to do it again or he'd be restricted. So, they may not enforce it very strictly, but they do pay attention, and let you know that they do pay attention, and could cut you off.

10Gig that's old its all about 100Gig now lol.

10Gig that's old its all about 100Gig now lol.

I think it's entirely possible. From what I've heard, the limitation on fiber comes from the electronics on the ends, not the fiber itself.

Also, is it possible for any one person, or family of five, to possibly max out 10Gig connection yet?

I'm on a 3Mbps connection. lol.

KC9TIK said:
I think it's entirely possible. From what I've heard, the limitation on fiber comes from the electronics on the ends, not the fiber itself.

Also, is it possible for any one person, or family of five, to possibly max out 10Gig connection yet?

No way a normal family could not use 10Gig. Gear still costs thousands for 10Gig the cheapest switches I know are some planet telecom for a few thousand cisco switches and line cards are still $15,000 to $80,000. However 10Gig sure is fun to watch when copying a few TB :)

No way a normal family could not use 10Gig. Gear still costs thousands for 10Gig the cheapest switches I know are some planet telecom for a few thousand cisco switches and line cards are still $15,000 to $80,000. However 10Gig sure is fun to watch when copying a few TB :)

Have you seen or heard of Infiniband? That stuff is readily available for 40Gig, still has a decent price tag (home network ~$1,000), is readily available and is partially interoperable with SATA and SAS.

There are internet service providers such as those with wifi that do not even have that much bandwidth available from their bandwidth provider which serve dozens to hundreds of customers.

400 Gbs and 1 Tbs fiber seem to be getting close to reality for real world use.

If Google is really thinking 10Gb/sec fiber to the home they will need the 1Tb/sec back haul...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)