GOOGLE & DISH to Collaborate

I wonder if this will allow the HD DVRs to act as a network media player for one's personal network in addition to the web. I'd love to have access to my videos and music stored on my NAS and viewed on my TV. My current NMP is barely tolerable. Let's see what Dish and Google can do...

Yes this is actually something they announced they plan on doing for the 922 later this year. :)

I've been waiting for a browser that would work on my TV (I don't want a PS3 as I'm an XBox guy). This would be cool if this finally returns what I had with my Dishplayer 10 years ago.... a working web browser and wireless keyboard....

This is awesome news - now the price just needs to be low enough for me to get the wife's approval!
Maybe they'l throw in a pair of ...ummm...pants with it. Then, you won't need her approval anymore. ;)

I solved that problem a long time ago by using my own money for the cool stuff I want. And, then, when she wants to use it because she realizes how cool it is, I reimburse myself with our money.

Wile E. Coyote...SUPER GENIUS!

Maybe they'l throw in a pair of ...ummm...pants with it. Then, you won't need her approval anymore. ;)

I solved that problem a long time ago by using my own money for the cool stuff I want. And, then, when she wants to use it because she realizes how cool it is, I reimburse myself with our money.

Separate money is an odd one to me...

It is not that there are not plenty of other alternatives to Google TV... it is that there are too many alternatives.

- You can connect your PC's video output to your TV, there are plenty of devices to do that.
- You can buy a set-top box that plays media from your PC on your TV (PopcornTV and other similar things)
- Vizio TVs have built-in apps for various web sites
- Apple TV
- Remember WebTV that was part of the first DVR - "DishPlayer" ?
- The new Sprint/GoogleAndroid 4G "EVO" cell phone has an HDMI connector :eek:

Nowadays, when media people say "there is no way to..." what they really mean is "there is no established standard way to..."

In my case, my main PC has an HDMI jack on the motherboard that goes straight into my HD TV and I use a MS remote designed for their MS media software (although a wireless mouse would work fine as well). The new HD Youtube format looks pretty good...

It is not that there are not plenty of other alternatives to Google TV... it is that there are too many alternatives.

- You can connect your PC's video output to your TV, there are plenty of devices to do that.
- You can buy a set-top box that plays media from your PC on your TV (PopcornTV and other similar things)
- Vizio TVs have built-in apps for various web sites
- Apple TV
- Remember WebTV that was part of the first DVR - "DishPlayer" ?
- The new Sprint/GoogleAndroid 4G "EVO" cell phone has an HDMI connector :eek:

Nowadays, when media people say "there is no way to..." what they really mean is "there is no established standard way to..."

In my case, my main PC has an HDMI jack on the motherboard that goes straight into my HD TV and I use a MS remote designed for their MS media software (although a wireless mouse would work fine as well). The new HD Youtube format looks pretty good...

You're exactly right. This is what my home theater looks like:

922 for Satellite-delivered HD programming. This is my primary source for most TV shows.
AppleTV for access to HD movie rentals and TV shows that the 922 (prior to that 722) borks up.
PS3 for Blu-Ray playback and some media streaming
Roku for access to Netflix, AmazonOnDemand, Revision3, and Twit.tv streamed down from the Internet

I have a couple more boxes connected to my TV, but this gives you the picture. Now if a GoogleTV could bring all this together so my wife can say, "I want to watch Fringe" into an Android phone and have it appear on the screen she would be thrilled I'm sure. (Let's be more realistic, I'd be thrilled!:D)

I think one of the best things about this is that the DVR is controlled and sending video over HDMI. IR blasters and downconverted HD to SD video over S-video is soooo 1999!

(And how can I get a hold of DISH/Google and tell them I want to test this thing. My home was made for it!!)

UPDATE: Engadget has pics and vids! http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/20/logitechs-google-tv-companion-box-includes-smartphone-apps-we/

Last edited:
Here are some screenshots for you guys. :)

Attachments

• Google TV Logo High Res.png
    Google TV Logo High Res.png
    280.7 KB · Views: 173
  • GoogleTVHome.jpg
    GoogleTVHome.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 301
  • GoogleTVQuickSearch.jpg
    GoogleTVQuickSearch.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 249
  • GoogleTVQuickSearchResults.jpg
    GoogleTVQuickSearchResults.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 269
How many hdmi slots are there on a dvr? If you're connected to the panel now by hdmi won't you have to connect the dvr with component or use a hdmi switch box?

How many hdmi slots are there on a dvr? If you're connected to the panel now by hdmi won't you have to connect the dvr with component or use a hdmi switch box?

I'm confused by this too. The Logitech box has only two HDMI ports. One in and one out. The Engadget video doesn't say how the Xbox 360 and Tivo are controlled. From the pictures, it appears to be through HDMI as there doesn't seem to be any IR blasters hooked up to the two ports. But the angle of the pictures isn't very good.

Folks google tv will run through your receivers. In the fall Dish will download the software for google tv

Source? I don't think any of the current receivers (including the 922) have the horsepower GoogleTV is going to need. The Sony TVs and the Logitech set top box are using the new Intel CE4100 which is a beast.

According to this article on Engadget: "DISH just announced it will enable 'advanced integration' via HDMI on all of its HD DVR receivers this fall" which I read to mean current VIP receivers will required a separate box (probably the Logitech) to be connected via HDMI and the Dish receivers will receive a firmware update that will allow them to communicate over the hdmi connection with the set top box for things like searching guide data, scheduling the dvr, searching recorded programs, etc.

I can see future receivers having all the hardware built in so as not to need an addon box, but I don't see how they could do this on existing receivers without one.

Source? I don't think any of the current receivers (including the 922) have the horsepower GoogleTV is going to need. The Sony TVs and the Logitech set top box are using the new Intel CE4100 which is a beast.\

I think he was just referring to what Engadget was talking about. He doesn't mean that the GoogleTV browser software will get downloaded onto our receivers. A software update will be pushed to allow the Logitech box to control the receiver over HDMI.

My question is how will the GoogleTV control other HDMI devices if they aren't directly plugged into it? Do AV receivers pass the HDMI control commands through it's outputs? Do switch boxes do the same?

Heck, I've got a HTPC (runs on a Acer Aspire Revo AR3610) hooked up to one of my HDMI (yes the Aspire has 1080P HDMI video w/HD audio output) inputs on my Vizio VF552XVT so I have this and then some. I'm running Win7 - 64bit on the Acer and with My Movies installed in Media Center, I'm able to play all of my stored videos off my WHS.

The Vizio VF552XVT has it's set of apps (Yahoo) for connecting to the Internet which is similar to the apps found on some Blu-ray players today but what Google is talking about looks a lot nicer but, I'm currently able to watch Hulu, Revision3, Netflix, and anything else out there today on the HTPC so for now, I'm good.

Does the GoogleTV device run the PlayOn.TV app? I have been thinking about getting a WD HD Live Media Player, but I am going to hold off to see what this does.

I am confused here. So we plug our vip hd dvr , using the hdmi connection into the google box and from the box back into the tv? Someone care to break it down for us older members ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)