Google maps update

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
Didnt see this in here but its noteworthy anyways, google has added terrain to its online map program and the satellite link has a tab window that gives the option for labels with labels being default.

Yeah, I saw it last week. The google map application gets better and better. I love it.

It also works great on my treo.

I wish the Garmin Nuvi used the google map. :)

Google Map Mobile works great on a PDA phone with GPS! :up

Google Map Mobile works great on a PDA phone with GPS! :up

Based on an article that one of my co-workers posted, it doesn't even need the GPS chip on the phone.

What blows me away is how they got their triangulation data:

Google Doesn’t Know Where You Are (But It Has a Good Guess) - Bits - Technology - New York Times Blog

First, Google figures out which cell towers are where by secretly enlisting the help of a million of its mobile maps users who happen to have phones with built-in GPS devices that are not locked by the carriers (that means no one who uses Verizon). These phones have been reporting to Google where they are, based on the GPS data and what cell tower they are connected to.

Based on an article that one of my co-workers posted, it doesn't even need the GPS chip on the phone.

I have not found that I could navigate with google maps on the treo, but I have used it just to find an address, when I couldn't find a specific street in town.

Google has also added more hi-res satellite photos, at least for my part of the country (Pennsylvania). Judging by certain construction I've seen in person, they're from the beginning of 2006.

I wish they would update there maps! My house still does not show up on any maps. But it does on Satellite pictures.

Talk to the state road commission or the county, they're responsible for sending out updated maps to all the map companies.

You can also go to NAVTEQ - NAVTEQ Map Reporterâ„¢ and update navteq. Beware, they are taking a LONG time, but they get there eventually.

Ha, yeah they do.
I took stills of my gps logs showing 3 new on/off ramps on the main highway that runs through this area. The oldest being about 2 years old now... they have yet to update any of them. It makes gps in the biggest town in this county very unreliable, as the exits are all different now, and the old crossover roads and such are all closed. O well, they will get to it eventually i guess

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts