Google Play?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I decided on getting my daughters each a Coby 7014. They can take Google Play/Market and are pretty good for the money. :)
Will most of the apps from the market work though?
Ive heard on many of the budget tablets, even if they have market access, that many apps wont work because they are designed for ARM processors, and many budget tabs dont have them. I may be wrong.

Will most of the apps from the market work though?
Ive heard on many of the budget tablets, even if they have market access, that many apps wont work because they are designed for ARM processors, and many budget tabs dont have them. I may be wrong.

I've never read about processor-based incompatibility with apps or ever seen it mentioned before.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The Market is "smart" or smarter than people realize. It does in fact check hardware compatibility in addition to software compatibility, such as having a certain release of Android. If an app is designed strictly for a certain screen resolution (or higher), it won't appear to a user of a device with lower resolution. I've even seen apps "disappear" from the Market when a device has the DPI setting too high or too low (many ROM developers tweak that in order to make text or icons smaller or larger).

The only thing they'll probably want from the Market is "Angry Birds" I think even if it (the market) isn't fully functional, it will be good enough to them! :)

The Market is "smart" or smarter than people realize. It does in fact check hardware compatibility in addition to software compatibility, such as having a certain release of Android. If an app is designed strictly for a certain screen resolution (or higher), it won't appear to a user of a device with lower resolution. I've even seen apps "disappear" from the Market when a device has the DPI setting too high or too low (many ROM developers tweak that in order to make text or icons smaller or larger).

It's not always smart enough. Some apps will be missing on some tablets but yet they work just fine. I've seen apps available in the Amazon market and they won't show as compatible in the Android Market. Of course, the Kindle Fire wasn't designed for the Android Market, but using it just with the Amazon market is very limiting on the device. I modified the build.prop file on the Kindle Fire to report itself as a different tablet to unlock pretty much all the apps. Very simple process.

Oh yeah, I know those are out there. I was kinda following up on this comment I made
Problem is these devices are so cheap and come and go, developers pay them little attention (and I can't blame them).
above. Doesn't apply to the Kindle Fire or other "popular" devices, of course.

Did you use the (insert-Mexican-food-here)root app ?

I decided on getting my daughters each a Coby 7014. They can take Google Play/Market and are pretty good for the money. :)

I own a Coby 7014 and it doesn't have nor allow Google Play/Market unless there's some form of root done to it. It doesn't come with the tablet, it came with GetJar and that's the worst app I've ever used.

I own a Coby 7014 and it doesn't have nor allow Google Play/Market unless there's some form of root done to it. It doesn't come with the tablet, it came with GetJar and that's the worst app I've ever used.

There's a way around that. Some apps will install from the browser.... for others there is a way to add the market. Now I haven't tried it yet, but I have info on the procedure.

There's a way around that. Some apps will install from the browser....
Unless Coby disables the "Unknown sources, Allow installation of non-Market applications" setting (like ATT does or used to do), you can ALWAYS do that. You can copy APKs to your SD card and install them from there.

....for others there is a way to add the market. Now I haven't tried it yet, but I have info on the procedure.
Can you share ? I'm being lazy.... :) My wife just got a Kindle Fire and Amazon does a fairly good job of hiding the Android core with their "launcher". If of course doesn't have Google Market access, just Amazon's AppStore.

Can you share ? I'm being lazy.... :) My wife just got a Kindle Fire and Amazon does a fairly good job of hiding the Android core with their "launcher". If of course doesn't have Google Market access, just Amazon's AppStore.

It was easy using the Kindle Fire Utility. You can find it at xda-developers in the Kindle Fire section. I did end up loading a complete stock ROM on top of it though that was prerooted and had the keys changed in the Market so all the apps would show up instead of the limited selection since the Kindle wasn't designed for the market anyways.

There's a way around that. Some apps will install from the browser.... for others there is a way to add the market. Now I haven't tried it yet, but I have info on the procedure.

When I first got my tablet I could only install APKs that I either downloaded on my tablet or from my computer onto it. Then I got some better apps that allowed a few popular apps but it still wasn't much. I did find AppBrain and I can browse the market and try out many apps available, but there are still a bunch Coby's tablets are terrible with.

Either way, I think I can live with what I've found. I am NOT into #-ing a device I have no more than 1 month of knowledge on. =P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts