"Google reveals plan to remove H.264 support from Chrome "

The problem with H.264 is, as usual, money.
Used on Blu-ray discs and supported across a wide range of mainstream consumer electronics devices, the H.264 codec is the current de facto industry standard for encoding digital video. Although H.264 has many technical advantages, Web standards advocates oppose using it as the standard format for the HTML5 video tag. The underlying compression mechanisms in H.264 are patented and adopters have to pay royalties to a licensing consortium called MPEG-LA. Standards advocates view this patent encumbrance as undesirable for the Web.

As I always like to say, "The nice thing about Standards is there are so many to choose from..." So, if you don't make enough money (like Google) you don't have to support H.264 in your browser. Maybe Google should start charging for their software (like Microsoft and Apple do) and they could afford a nice efficient video codec like H.264...

:D

I don't think there is much left from the "don't be evil" motto at Google. It has to make sense: financial, strategical, tactical, operational, etc.
Remember, IBM's role in the Unix case with SCO: they acted like open source was their new found religion (if you followed Groklaw).
And when the time came and they got "an offer they couldn't refuse" from Oracle, they abandoned the religion in a blink of an eye.
And I'm not even talking about Oracle and Novell.

I think this is the case with Google and open source, too.
But unlike Apple that took BSD for OS X (for the "free as in beer" license) and closed up most of its own development,
Google decided to go Linux with their Android and harvest the open source developers "eye balls".

They still reserve the benevolent dictator role for themselves - you have to get a license to have Market access.
But there is nothing that prevents you from taking the code and releasing a device running it.
Or selling apps for Android (just what Amazon plans to do). Or replacing Google search with Bing...

I think Google believes in open source as the ultimate tool reducing the barrier of entry. In any market it can be applied.
It reduces patent dependence. They are even ready to take on Oracle with the Java VM debacle.
I think H.264 vs. VP8 is somewhere along the same lines...

In the end this has nothing to do with charity. It's Google way of making money.
It just so happens that this way is not synonymous to raping others like most of the MS, Oracle, IBM of this world do...

Diogen.

Anyone who can't figure out how to use a different screw driver certainly doesn't have the brains to be opening up their phone in the first place.

I still find it incredulous that people believe they are getting something for free by using Google. Don't these people understand that Google makes their money through having access to your personal information?

There are degrees of personal information we all choose to give up in exchange for something.
Most of us are willing to let Google know and sell our search patterns. A few more are willing to let Google have access to the content of our e-mail and the e-mail addresses. But what about our phones? On all android phones, Google has access to your contacts and their phone numbers. With GPS Google knows where you are any time of the day you are carrying your phone.

It's not all bad, you know. Google is rumored to be working on a plan that will track your travels and shoot advertising to your phone news if you pass by a sponsoring store. e.g. say you are out shopping and walk by a Starbucks. You may get an add that pops up telling you to go in and save 25 cents on a $5 cup of overpriced coffee. Yes, while a few weeks ago, Google followers heard about a rumor they would buy Groupon but it didn't happen. Today, a few minutes ago, Google announced it was planning to offer a program similar to Groupon and push ads / coupons to Android phones. :)

The first real step away from H.264
Google documents VP8 at standards group IETF | Deep Tech - CNET News
while in the discussion phase this has been for a long time
Google opens VP8 codec, aims to nuke H.264 with WebM

Normally, this is the time when talks about a patent pool start.
Just like Microsoft did in recent history when bidding VC-1 to HD-DVD and BD license authorities.
Doesn't look like Google is planning anything like that, i.e. believing there are no IPs violated...
But this can quickly become a problem just like the Java debacle with Oracle.

Diogen.

Normally, this is the time when talks about a patent pool start.
Just like Microsoft did in recent history when bidding VC-1 to HD-DVD and BD license authorities.
Doesn't look like Google is planning anything like that, i.e. believing there are no IPs violated...
But this can quickly become a problem just like the Java debacle with Oracle.
Just a month passed and here they come......
Looks like there is enough interest to not let Google get away with this
Patent attack launched on Google's open video codec ? The Register

Diogen.

But unlike Apple that took BSD for OS X (for the "free as in beer" license) and closed up most of its own development,
Google decided to go Linux with their Android and harvest the open source developers "eye balls".
Ottelini thinks this is the key factor in beating "integrated" approach...
Nokia got it wrong intel ceo says, spills beans on elop- The Inquirer
...closed models will certainly survive, because you can optimise the experience, but in general,
if you harness the ability of all the engineers in the world and the developers in the world, open wins.

Diogen.

A breath of fresh air in this cartel-run business called video compression
Web Video Rivalry Sparks U.S. Probe - WSJ.com

Hopefully it ends up bigger than just a probe and the Motion Picture Ass. of America gets its proverbial a$$ kicked...

If Google can remain standing against these two threats - from Oracle (Android) and MPAA-LA (VP8) - the internet/gadget world will be very different in 10 years...

Diogen.

Last edited:
The MPAA-LA is actually pretty useful if you are making something using MPEG. It is a single source to get patent licensing. Given the thousands of patents involved, not having the pool would probably make it impossible to ever release anything since you would never finish getting all the patent licenses needed.

The controversy of course is if VP8 is really patent free. Not seeing the code, I would have to bet it is not patent free. There are just too many patents related to video compression for all of them not to apply. MPAA-LA of course wants to form the pool, someone else could do it but they sent out the call. Google may have the cash for patent defense, but what about other companies that might use VP8? Will Google cover their legal bills to defind VP8?

The controversy of course is if VP8 is really patent free.
From the linked article
MPEG LA, which was formed in the late 1990s, manages the licensing of more than 1,700 patents used in a high-definition video encoding standard known as H.264.
Can there be any better definition of bullsh!t? 1700 patents covering a codec?!
I wouldn't be surprised if the free x264 encoder (and one of the best in H.264 land) has fewer lines of code...

Using the favorite car example: does anybody in that industry have a couple hundred patents for the fact car having 4 wheels?

Maybe this VP8 debacle will finally bring attention to the stupidity of the patent/copyright system in the USA...

I believe that if in the end Google can get away with one time payment to clear VP8 future, they probably will.
I don't think this will satisfy the MP Ass. of America. Will see what happens...

Diogen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts