HP kills WebOS, exits PC business?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
Posted in another thread about tablets, but this deserves a thread of its own.

HP will 'discontinue operations for webOS devices', may spin off Personal Systems Group -- Engadget

HP kills TouchPad, looks to exit PC business - Aug. 18, 2011

HP kills off WebOS after paying $1.2B for it a year ago. RIP Palm.

But it looks like you can say goodbye to HP (and Compaq for that matter) personal computers.

Personally I think they should focus on their printers and get them back to the quality work-horses they were years ago.

I can't help but note that he says the PC spinoff won't happen anytime soon. But I can't imagine this announcement doing anything but cutting sales, and making that spinoff "soon" - or never.

yeah, that makes sense, servers are a higher margin business.

Consumer pcs and laptops are low margin.

IBM did this a number of years ago and lenovo has done well.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

A lot better than I expected. I figured they removed a thorn from IBM's paw and would quickly be in no name low sales territory. Whoops. :eek:

HP never built those laser printers. They added a case design and a circuit board to the Canon engine and OEMed them from Canon directly. Picked up a big market share so Canon felt no need to compete with themselves.

Inkjets OTOH were an HP innovation and were designed in house.

HP never built those laser printers. They added a case design and a circuit board to the Canon engine and OEMed them from Canon directly. Picked up a big market share so Canon felt no need to compete with themselves.

Inkjets OTOH were an HP innovation and were designed in house.

Regardless, those early Laser Jets were beasts, and seemed to last forever. Unlike the crap they sell today.

It's iPad or nothing, survey says | Wireless - CNET News

Interesting killing the tablet, survey shows they are (now were) #2 in interest:

That's according to a recent survey conducted by Robert W. Baird. The study found that out of more than 1,100 potential tablet purchasers, an overwhelming 94.5 percent cited the iPad as a device of interest. Hewlett-Packard's TouchPad was the second most-cited device, garnering just 10.3 percent of the people surveyed, while Research in Motion's PlayBook was a laggard.

Hard to believe HPQ was at $49 a share in March and now 22.75. How low will it go before getting a takeover bid?

I agree the older HP lasers were beasts. I had an HP III and it lasted for over 13 years. Finally just needed to upgrade it for a color. My commercial DVD printers use HP engines.

I ordered a 32gb touchpad. Hard to imagine not getting our money's worth, the iPad is just not priced to have more than one in the house and none of the Android tablets are worth spending iPad money on.

Loser here for me is probably Amazon, since I'd have considered getting their $250 tablet.

Kind of like when after HD DVD was killed, I went on a buying spree of cheap movies, and even bought a second Toshiba player for dirt cheap. :)

I really hope HP doesn’t spin off their PC operations. I’ve been loyal to Compaq and now HP since 1996. They put together some nice machines and make some truly awesome displays. Can’t say I’ve ever had any big time issue with any of the HP products I’ve purchased over the years, a Compaq monitor with a dead pixel and a faulty wireless keyboard, both which were replaced for free and the only issues I can think of with any HP or post-merger Compaq hardware I purchased. My new HP Envy laptop is da bomb, with the Core i7 2.30 GHz quad core processor and 16GB of RAM, and that wicked 17.3” full HD LED 3D display.

If HP does spin off their PC business I guess I’ll either go with the new company or move over to Sony Vaio's. No way in hell will I buy anything Dell. And Gateway, Toshiba, Samsung and the rest just don’t offer the higher end gear that I desire.

All the signs are that your beloved HP and Compaq are toast.

Funny how “He also made it clear that any possible spin-off of the PC business won't happen soon, and said that the company will take 12 to 18 months to consider its options, further adding that he is "taking ownership" of all of these decisions.” Translates into HP is toast. Go spread your FUD elseware.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)