HP kills WebOS, exits PC business?

Investors all seem to be punishing HP for the move -- stock tumbling. But, in the long run, it could be a good decision. Margins on PCs are tiny. Asian companies seem to be fighting it out on the way to the bottom. Apple is consuming the tablet market. Look at IBM they got out of the consumer PC business - an industry that they made mainstream.

It looks to me that it is going to be Apple with the majority of the market going forward with Asian brands running other people's software (like Android) competing at the edges of the market like the iPod market.

Funny how “He also made it clear that any possible spin-off of the PC business won't happen soon, and said that the company will take 12 to 18 months to consider its options, further adding that he is "taking ownership" of all of these decisions.” Translates into HP is toast. Go spread your FUD elseware.

You walk a thin line. Remember that.

Given their willingness to walk away from customers with the Tablet, and the public statement about spinning off the PC line, people would be foolish to continue purchasing HP computers, given that they may disappear like the dinosaur.

You walk a thin line. Remember that.

Given their willingness to walk away from customers with the Tablet, and the public statement about spinning off the PC line, people would be foolish to continue purchasing HP computers, given that they may disappear like the dinosaur.

Absolutely. Last I saw, stock down 23%. No doubt many, particularly corporate buyers, will view an HP PC purchase as now including a little extra risk, especially future support-wise.

Sorry about that folks, small mess in Aisle 3, but its been cleaned up. Nothing to see here. Feel free to continue the conversation, if there is anything left to discuss.

Does that mean I lose my "Like" from Navy?:D
Anyway, back on track, I think that was some sad news about HP, but was long in coming. Their quality has been going down hill along with their customer service. Dell could find a lesson in this as well.​

Does that mean I lose my "Like" from Navy?:D
Anyway, back on track, I think that was some sad news about HP, but was long in coming. Their quality has been going down hill along with their customer service. Dell could find a lesson in this as well.​

Sorry. :D But I gave you a like to even it out. ;)

I have not owned a HP laptop in about six years, after the last one was a piece of garbage. But I still buy their printers - even though I am not sure why -- the first color Laser my dept got me went in 2 years; my wife's$700 multi-purpose laser only lasted about 5 years at best; and the LJ 1100 I had barely lasted two years. Hmm... why did I keep buying them? (In fact, I have a Canon inkjet these days).

We have had good luck with the higher end laser printers ($1000+ black and white). They seem to still have the quality in those units. We still have 2 old units (13 years old) working. They are slow (well they are the same speed as new just print speed has gone way up over the years).

We have had good luck with the higher end laser printers ($1000+ black and white). They seem to still have the quality in those units. We still have 2 old units (13 years old) working. They are slow (well they are the same speed as new just print speed has gone way up over the years).

Thirteen year old Laserjets were still old school. I bought a 2605 color laserjet in 2006 though and by 2008 it was no longer printing reds. The net is full of information on the problem that HP cheapened the design to the point where toner was seeping into the print engine and covering the red laser. You need to disassemble the unit down to the last screw in order to fix it. Given the lower cost of printer and high cost of cartridges, HP's razor and blades strategy should have made sure that the printer itself was indestructable. They didn't.

There wasn't a bigger HP fan than me until a few years ago. These days we have 7 computers in the house and the only HP is a vintage 2002 laptop that I occasionally pull out to do Visio or Adobe Illustrator (because I am too cheap to upgrade these packages). The laserjet is still in use, but purposly crippled as a B/W only machine.

I won't be sorry to see them go, because it pains me every time I am reminded of what they became. We used to take pride in building stuff nobody else could build. These days it is only stuff that nobody else is willing to bother with.

Thirteen year old Laserjets were still old school. I bought a 2605 color laserjet in 2006 though and by 2008 it was no longer printing reds. The net is full of information on the problem that HP cheapened the design to the point where toner was seeping into the print engine and covering the red laser. You need to disassemble the unit down to the last screw in order to fix it. Given the lower cost of printer and high cost of cartridges, HP's razor and blades strategy should have made sure that the printer itself was indestructable. They didn't.

There wasn't a bigger HP fan than me until a few years ago. These days we have 7 computers in the house and the only HP is a vintage 2002 laptop that I occasionally pull out to do Visio or Adobe Illustrator (because I am too cheap to upgrade these packages). The laserjet is still in use, but purposly crippled as a B/W only machine.

I won't be sorry to see them go, because it pains me every time I am reminded of what they became. We used to take pride in building stuff nobody else could build. These days it is only stuff that nobody else is willing to bother with.

I forgot you worked for them.

When my wife's laser goes (its only a matter of time of course), we'll look seriously at alternatives.

I just bought an HP dv6-3216 laptop 2 months ago to use for my business. I had too much personal stuff getting mixed with business on my 2 year old Dell Vostro. So far it has been great; 17in display, 6gb ram, i5 processor, Win 7 Pro 64bit. Speakers are lousy compared to the Dell and not a fan of the keyboard layout, but getting used it.

I thought about going to grab one of the touchpads for $99 or $149, but thought better of it. I don't agree, but I've been told I have too many toys. :( A couple of the Walmarts still had 32gb models yesterday before they pulled the listings from the website. I noticed last night people had started trying to gouge the unknowing on craigslist, asking $250- $350 for them

I don't know a lot about home printers but a little over a year ago I bought an HP Photosmart C6380 All-in-One Printer for what I thought was a good price. I can't really talk bad about it, it does work, but isn't speedy and sure is clunky sounding.
If and when it breaks I will junk it and look for something else.

Attachments

• 220177941.jpg
    220177941.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 101

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts