Google tablet has a rumored release date...

I understand the DOA bit, but I have to say that I have found no issues with this since I got it.
It was a joke...:)
St. Jobs showed up at the Apple quarterly report conference to explicitly tell the world that 7" is DOA.

And - surprise, surprise - not everybody believes it. Count me in that group...

Diogen.

A seven-inch tablet may not be DOA, but Leo and the other TWiTs sure ridiculed the Dell Streak and it's 5" form factor. "The sweet spot of suck", I believe someone said.

It's interesting to watch the old ST:TNG episodes and see how the upcoming generation of tablets are thinner than the ones from hundreds of years in the future. Not the first time Star Trek didn't go far enough…

I always liked the communicators from "Earth: Final Conflict". The phone had a small, easily handled size, then unrolled a flat panel display for video and data.

rockymtnhigh said:
After just 20 minutes playing with the galaxy tab it was pretty clear to me that the patient was alive and well. :)
So, objectively, how would you compare the experience with the Galaxy versus the iPad? Is the touch interface as responsive as your Droid?

The screen should be sharper than the iPad's since they're packing in approximately the same number of pixels in 3" less diagonal room. I know I find going back to my wife's iPod Touch after using my iPhone 4 to be a rather blurry experience. Having a higher pixels-per-inch is a big advantage to me.

A seven-inch tablet may not be DOA, but Leo and the other TWiTs sure ridiculed the Dell Streak and it's 5" form factor. "The sweet spot of suck", I believe someone said.
It essentially boils down to: What are you going to use it for?
If you look for a netbook replacement (or never had one) anything below 9-10" will suck.
And if you are in the Apple eco-system, you never had one...

If you have a netbook and smartphone, the iPad does nothing for you.
If you really need something in between, the Tab or the Streak may do.

I believe the discussion is not who kills who (that's religion) but what are you missing and how to fix it.

Most of the XXX vs. iPad reviews is competition in smartass remarks...

Diogen.

diogen said:
If you have a netbook and smartphone, the iPad does nothing for you.
If you really need something in between, the Tab or the Streak may do.
The issue they had with the Streak is it's too big to be a smartphone and, at 5", it is too small to be an effective tablet.

The Tab seems to be much more effective size for a tablet than the Streak. But I wouldn't want to go any smaller than 7".

I must apologize for my Galaxy Tab remarks in this thread as it is the Google Chrome tablet discussion. The only thing I'll say about that is I wonder if Google's reluctance to endorse Android 2.2 for tablet use is that Google considers Chrome the preferred OS for this format.

Last edited:
Again, what do you need the tablet for? Where will it be used?
I think the primary application is a) on the go; and b) where 4" is not enough.
In other words, neither a netbook nor a smartphone qualify...

As a personal example, I thought that a smartphone (or any GPS for that matter) is too small for the car.
And an iPad is too big (I don't consider Hummer a car). 5" is much better. 7" even more so.

Again, getting a Streak to be both, phone and tablet, is not a good idea.
Having something for the car that doesn't need a designer jacket to carry it with you (e.g. Tab or Streak) is not a bad idea...

Diogen.

Oh, okay, I get what you're saying. I may not see the need for a 5" tablet for my car, but someone might. Dell has the luxury of spending millions to develop the Streak even if the target audience may not be as large as a 7" tablet, but that need exists and Dell has an answer for it.

Speaking of needs, any tablet I'd buy would need Exchange e-mail support baked in. While I'm perfectly fine with a touch keyboard, I'm curious if any of the new tablets would come with a "full-size" slider keyboard? If I'm doing serious typing for anything more than a couple of e-mails back and forth, a real keyboard would be nice. Likewise, the ability to display Word and Excel documents is important; editing them would be an added bonus. Synching documents/media/contacts to and from my desktop is a must. I'd like to be able to upload photos from my digital camera into the tablet so I can not worry about filling up the camera's memory card.

I need a VPN tunneling system that's compatible with our corporate system so I can remote in to provide support while on the road. Wi-Fi is essential; 3G would be nice, but a miniPCI (or whatever the PCcard standard is for portable peripherals) slot so I could choice my cellular provider with a card or dongle would work. I'd like at least two USB ports for connecting external storage and peripherals, mini-Display Port/DVI/HDMI out that mirrors the main display and can act as a second display for presentations, and combo analog/TOSlink 3.5mm input/output jacks for supplementing the built-in stereo speakers. And battery life that allows me to use the tablet while en-route without scrambling for an outlet when the plane lands.

The touch screen would be capacitive or equivalent as I've used both resistive and capacitive screens and resistive screens are designed to slow down user input which makes them great for automotive use (fewer false presses), but not what a tablet should use. The touch interface must respond without hesitation to maintain the concept of interacting with the "real" data under the glass. As I move my finger across the surface of the tablet, the item underneath must move with it immediately, not after a tenth of a second. Also, support for a pen or stylus of some sort would be great, as I don't draw with my fingers (not since elementary school).

Given all of those requirements, I don't have a tablet device at this time. With the timing of my AT&T contract on my old Motorola RAZR, I got the iPhone 4 as the Aria was the only Android phone that AT&T had at that time and I didn't like the screen size. Having the iPhone has taken a lot of pressure off of me getting a tablet at this time. It will be interesting to see how the market looks in 18 months after all the Honeycomb and Chrome tablets are out. Maybe Microsoft will be able to produce a competent tablet OS (I've used XP in tablet form and I choked on it. Maybe 7 is better.) and will be a player. And HP is a dark horse with WebOS. From the demos of the new version, it looks pretty snappy and I know HP makes excellent hardware, so the 8" Slate running WebOS might be the ticket.

So, objectively, how would you compare the experience with the Galaxy versus the iPad? Is the touch interface as responsive as your Droid?

The screen should be sharper than the iPad's since they're packing in approximately the same number of pixels in 3" less diagonal room. I know I find going back to my wife's iPod Touch after using my iPhone 4 to be a rather blurry experience. Having a higher pixels-per-inch is a big advantage to me.

I did not compare with an iPad next to it - although I could have, since they have ipads at the VZW store. But the screen was extremely crisp and vibrant. I found the 7" screen to be the perfect size. Huge in terms of screen real estate compared with a phone; but still a compromise from the ipad size which is only slightly smaller than the tablet pc I have. But more important for me was the weight of the Tab, and the feel of it in my hand. You could easily hold that and read stuff or work with it for a long time. The ipad is close to twice the weight.

The touch interface on the tab was just as responsive as the droid - and just as responsive as the ipads that I have used. Plus I like the comfortable feel of having the four menu buttons available. I have learned that the tab is capable of being rooted, so who knows what fun stuff will come next. AND there is an ability to make "non-tablet" apps expand to the full screen, instead of doing the black bar thing. I am not sure if that is available for the ipad.

Some have said "its only 3 inches bigger than my phone, why would I want that? Well, for me those three inches make a huge difference in viewing web pages. It becomes an extremely useful internet device that is light and can be easily carried around.

I want one! :)

Given all of those requirements, I don't have a tablet device at this time.
Your requirements are quite extensive...
I think most of them can be found even today, but not all in the same device.
But the moment business oriented tablets get released by HP/Dell/Lenovo, all this should be doable. Except maybe battery life...

Diogen.

Some clarification from E. Schmidt on multiple topics:
Eric Schmidt: Chrome OS aimed at keyboard based solutions, Android optimized for touch -- Engadget

- ChromeOS is targeting keyboard based devices;
- Android is (will be) optimized for touch;
- Nexus S is the next Nexus One and it was shown The Nexus S: a closer look -- Engadget
- Gingerbred will be here "in a few weeks" Eric Schmidt shows off a Nexus S at the Web 2.0 summit, says Gingerbread coming in 'next few weeks' -- Engadget

Diogen.

I did not compare with an iPad next to it - although I could have, since they have ipads at the VZW store. But the screen was extremely crisp and vibrant. I found the 7" screen to be the perfect size. Huge in terms of screen real estate compared with a phone; but still a compromise from the ipad size which is only slightly smaller than the tablet pc I have. But more important for me was the weight of the Tab, and the feel of it in my hand. You could easily hold that and read stuff or work with it for a long time. The ipad is close to twice the weight.

The touch interface on the tab was just as responsive as the droid - and just as responsive as the ipads that I have used. Plus I like the comfortable feel of having the four menu buttons available. I have learned that the tab is capable of being rooted, so who knows what fun stuff will come next. AND there is an ability to make "non-tablet" apps expand to the full screen, instead of doing the black bar thing. I am not sure if that is available for the ipad.

Some have said "its only 3 inches bigger than my phone, why would I want that? Well, for me those three inches make a huge difference in viewing web pages. It becomes an extremely useful internet device that is light and can be easily carried around.

I want one! :)
One of Leo Leporte's guests brought his in on this weekend's TWiT. It looked pretty slick! Now I'm going to need to find out who has them in our area so I can check it out.

It was a joke...:)
St. Jobs showed up at the Apple quarterly report conference to explicitly tell the world that 7" is DOA.

And - surprise, surprise - not everybody believes it. Count me in that group...

Diogen.

Yeah...I completely forgot that His Eminence had spoken.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)