Google TV=Discount For Dish Customers

Just so everyone know, the Android Market won't be available for Google TV until the beginning of next year. So you can't download additional apps until then.

I wonder if there will be a way to side-load Android apps until then.

I wonder if there will be a way to side-load Android apps until then.

According to Google, no. But, I'm sure that someone will find a way to manually install .apk files to it.

The features of Google TV is limitless. Just announced that EA and Epic Games will be making games for the Android OS (Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog). EA has already said that Madden NFL 11 is coming to Android. Epic could make a Gears Of War game for Android as well. So when Google TV opens up the Android Market, you will be able to get these games. I'm sure it won't be free.

Last edited:
Won't it work with the Dish DVR using the IR bug? The only thing $4 seems to get you is HDMI control. Fork that.

The HDMI audio/video signal will still work for integrating the picture. I'll just use that with the IR bug. (Once the price normalizes at a more reasonable $199 or less.)

Probably to activate the a dlna server in the dish receiver so you can stream content from anything conected to the network to the TV and its sounds like you have full dvr functions. pretty cool, rip a bluray on your computer and store it on your DISH DVR. My Sony TV has a dnla server and kind of similar with access to BraviaTv, facebook, Youtube and others online video content.
The GoogleTV device should be able to do stream via dlna without the Dish DVR at all.

This Dish fee is even more insulting than their usual fees.

This Dish fee is even more insulting than their usual fees.
I think the email poll was the most insulting, particularly since they ignored the results (at least from me) and implemented these fees anyway.
Do you want to pay $300 for GoogleTV with no integration fee, or half that plus $4/mo?
There was no "Neither" option. And apparently you can indeed buy a GoogleTV for $300, but receive no integration whatsoever. So reality is worse even than the poll suggested. :rant:

And apparently you can indeed buy a GoogleTV for $300, but receive no integration whatsoever.
I don't think that's true. The GoogleTV device should integrate with whatever STB you use - Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, Cablevision, etc. The functions of the STB can be controlled via IR, and the video/audio signal passes thru the GTV device via HDMI. Thus, you have control of the STB, and blending of STB and Web images, all with the GTV.

The Google TV box is really like one of those small form factor PCs like the Revo or EEEPC, and costs about the same. The Boxee box is based on the same Intel platform and will cost $219 MSRP, but supposedly $199 on the street.

I don't think that's true. The GoogleTV device should integrate with whatever STB you use - Dish, DirecTV, Comcast, Cablevision, etc. The functions of the STB can be controlled via IR...
I believe you are right; I was "speaking" inexactly. I meant to say no special or unique or individualized integration with Dish Network receivers. In particular, the GoogleTV STB will have no knowledge of your recordings, and likely will have no knowledge of your subscribed channels or available satellites. It might not even have guide data to match up to your receiver's channels, but that's unclear. We'll see.

TheKrell said:
I believe you are right; I was "speaking" inexactly. I meant to say no special or unique or individualized integration with Dish Network receivers. In particular, the GoogleTV STB will have no knowledge of your recordings, and likely will have no knowledge of your subscribed channels or available satellites. It might not even have guide data to match up to your receiver's channels, but that's unclear. We'll see.

Exactly. Without the integration, alot of the usefulness is gone. The whole point is to search for Survivor and get your recordings, Internet streams, and upcoming live events in one interface. The boxes have to communicate with each other to do that.

I still dont get what this thing does... but will pick one up just to review it for you guys.

It's supposed to be able to search not only Dish (or one's cable or sat co.), and list all the places one can access your programming, especially on websites and services like Hulu, Zulu (made that one up), Netflix, on and on and on, and then you can choose the source and if it is via the internet, then it will download it. I think that's what its supposed to do (he, he, maybe I don't know either :)) and provide access to the World Wide Web.

Essentially Google TV is a form and wants to compete with of RuKu, Popcorn, Boxee. That's what sort of kind of it is supposed to do. But you are right: I don't think the average consumer will have the foggiest what Google TV is supposed to do and why they should have it, but the Google brand is like E.F Hutton: everybody stops to hear about it and it sure gets press that Boxee, et al. NEVER got. Oh, Apple TV did some press, too.

I really don't see a need for this google box. I can find my shows easily by hitting search features on my receiver now. If I want internet videos I have Play on application and can watch shows from Hula and Netflix over my 922. IT doesn't cost me any monthly fee for DISH to watch them either. This google box won't be needed at my house and I am betting that it won't sell that much to many others either. NOT at another $4.00 monthly fee. DISH is now into creating revenue just from new FEES that they make up and they alone charge in the industry. So nothing of value is created for the sub , just more money taken out of their pockets to have access to new technology that used to be integrated in the receiver itself.

I really don't see a need for this google box. I can find my shows easily by hitting search features on my receiver now. If I want internet videos I have Play on application and can watch shows from Hula and Netflix over my 922. IT doesn't cost me any monthly fee for DISH to watch them either. This google box won't be needed at my house and I am betting that it won't sell that much to many others either. NOT at another $4.00 monthly fee. DISH is now into creating revenue just from new FEES that they make up and they alone charge in the industry. So nothing of value is created for the sub , just more money taken out of their pockets to have access to new technology that used to be integrated in the receiver itself.

I don't trust the 922 for DLNA yet, but I do agree with you that it is a viable option when that is working. I do alot of streaming. Right now, I use my Xbox and my Windows Media PC.

I would probably be more interested in buying a TV with Google built in, when I upgrade my main set somewhere down the road. It's definitely a wait and see, not an early adopter product. I resisted the 922 and am VERY glad I did.

Hi,

I'm interested in this google tv box but am wondering how to connect it to my 922. My 922 is connected to a pioneer a/v receiver from the HDMI port, then HDMI from the receiver to TV. It seems to me I'm out of ports on the 922.
Is there a way to do this?
Sorry, not so technically savvy.
Appreciate any responses.

Thanks.

It seems to me if Google TV catches on, it will increase demand for bandwidth, clogging the net to some extend. Performance could degrade and limit it's popularity, etc. But with a download approach, not so much. Live viewing over the Internet would become a problem. Basically, it would seem it could become a major driver for greater growth in bandwidth as great as the last boom.

Another paradigm shift? The next few years will be interesting.

It seems to me if Google TV catches on, it will increase demand for bandwidth, clogging the net to some extend. Performance could degrade and limit it's popularity, etc. But with a download approach, not so much. Live viewing over the Internet would become a problem. Basically, it would seem it could become a major driver for greater growth in bandwidth as great as the last boom.

Another paradigm shift? The next few years will be interesting.

I can see many internet providers start charging more if you use a lot of bandwith. No sense in leaving money on the table, so to speak. Then people will have to choose between paying more for bandwith or doing with out. Unless the government can force more bandwith and wifi, without letting them charge extra for it. IF they aren't regulated, then I see this new technology being choked off due to lack of funds by the subs, who are forced to pay more for more bandwith.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts