Got a 4K TV. Do I need to replace everything else now?

the three things in life that are guaranteed are death, taxes and the fact that as soon as you commit to an AVR upgrade, the industry will come out with new features and standards that will 'obsolete' your equipment.

I suggest following these rules:

1. Never count on a release date for some feature. They always slip considerably.
2. Don't worry about stuff coming in the future. Upgrade when your current system doesn't meet your needs with something that does.
3. Once upgraded, stop looking at the new stuff. It generally is a lot more hype than a real improvement. Kind of like that special extended edition of the film that adds 23 seconds of new material.
4. Never buy the first generation of a major new feature. They never get it right.

It will cost a bloody fortune to keep upgrading for incremental improvements.

Reactions: charlesrshell
the three things in life that are guaranteed are death, taxes and the fact that as soon as you commit to an AVR upgrade, the industry will come out with new features and standards that will 'obsolete' your equipment.

I suggest following these rules:

1. Never count on a release date for some feature. They always slip considerably.
2. Don't worry about stuff coming in the future. Upgrade when your current system doesn't meet your needs with something that does.
3. Once upgraded, stop looking at the new stuff. It generally is a lot more hype than a real improvement. Kind of like that special extended edition of the film that adds 23 seconds of new material.
4. Never buy the first generation of a major new feature. They never get it right.

It will cost a bloody fortune to keep upgrading for incremental improvements.

I definitely agree with this. The only thing for me is that my TV supports Dolby Vision. AVRs with Dolby Vision support are starting to trickle out from all the major brands. If I am going to buy a new AVR and UHD blu-ray player I don't think it makes sense to buy models that don't support Dolby Vision at this point in time.

As I said before, I'm probably going to be skipping the new AVR for this current run of HDMI. I'll just get DD+ audio via ARC for most of my devices and buy a blu-ray player with 2 HDMI outs so I can continue to get lossless audio from blu-rays.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Most AVRs don't currently support it even if they support HDR 10, HDMI 2.0a, and HDCP 2.2. This is true even for higher end models.
In doing some background research on the TS's issue, I discovered that most of the upper level 2017 Onkyo AVRs (both RZ and NR series), support (or are slated to support) DV so they're near if not out there. Some also support HLG and that's something I'm going to watching for as I've got great OTA LOS.