Got a letter from Dish...two actually...

cruzmisl

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 29, 2004
Hi All,
Back in December I got a few letters from Dish asking me to call about an upgrade that is required. I never called because I forgot but was wondering if anyone knows what its about. I have a VIP622/612 and a 211. Do they want to upgrade one of my receivers?
Thanks!
J.

you probably have a "mixed" system...like 110-119-61.5 wing dish or something of the like. Basically, they want you to be on a dedicated eastern or westeren arc system.

What satellites are you looking at? menu > 6 > 1 > 3 > yes

Most probably they want to change your Dish. If you live in the they want to change you to the Eastern ARC. That only ne3eds a single dish, a 1000.4. They are moving HD feeds around. There may be some HD feeds that you are not receiving that you should be.

I received a letter from the Dish upgrade unit. They came out and replaced a 501 with a 612. Installed a new antenna & switch. This was at no cost or increase in the monthly bill. The 211 & 622 were not replaced. I'm on the western arc. Give them a call. I bet they will install something at no cost to you.

you probably have a "mixed" system...like 110-119-61.5 wing dish or something of the like. Basically, they want you to be on a dedicated eastern or westeren arc system.

What satellites are you looking at? menu > 6 > 1 > 3 > yes

I agree, most likely is a migration. If you want, PM your phone number or account number and I'll take a gander for you.

cruzmisl said:
Yeah it's 110-119-61.5 maybe they want me to switch to the 1000.4.

Yep. It wouldn't be something high on my priority list but if your going to continue with dish service, complete the migration.

Yeah it's 110-119-61.5 maybe they want me to switch to the 1000.4.

No maybe's about it. Most alll EA National HD is now on 72.7, so you are currently missing out on several channels that never were on, or being moved off 61.5

Got the same postcard in the mail today. Currently have 4 receivers (722,622, 522, and a 508 that goes back and forth between the house and our RV) - a DPP44 switch, and two dishes to receive 110/119/61.5

From what I have read it sounds like they will want to install a new dish 1000.4 ? Is there a list of channels that I am currently not receiving? We have the Americas Top 200 and HD 200 offering.

Thanks!

Got the same postcard in the mail today. Currently have 4 receivers (722,622, 522, and a 508 that goes back and forth between the house and our RV) - a DPP44 switch, and two dishes to receive 110/119/61.5

From what I have read it sounds like they will want to install a new dish 1000.4 ? Is there a list of channels that I am currently not receiving? We have the Americas Top 200 and HD 200 offering.

Thanks!

Where do you live? Are you getting your local HD from 61.5?

I have not seen a list per say, but you are missing out on several with just 61.5 And more will continue to be moved off of it.

EDIT: If you are using a 522 and 508, you have to be in the Western arc since Eastern is all MPEG4. Which raises the question of why you got a 61.5 dish. Usually it's done because of LOS issues to 129.

Last edited:
There is a likely chance that you will get a new 622/722 to replace the 522 and (I havent seen a 508 in a really long time...its a single tuner rcvr, correct) a 211 if that 508 is a single tuner rcvr. This would mean you will have all mpeg4 rcvrs. Your 110-119 will still work in your RV with these rcvrs, you will just need to do a check sw every time you go between the two.

Id take them up on the offer!

There is a likely chance that you will get a new 622/722 to replace the 522 and (I havent seen a 508 in a really long time...its a single tuner rcvr, correct) a 211 if that 508 is a single tuner rcvr. This would mean you will have all mpeg4 rcvrs. Your 110-119 will still work in your RV with these rcvrs, you will just need to do a check sw every time you go between the two.

Id take them up on the offer!
We still need to know his location. As said before, if he is currently USING the 522 and 508, he's in Western Arc now.

We are in southern NH. Locals used to be on 61.5 but I remember being told at one point that they were moved off of it. Where would I find that out. our zip code is 03054

Yes - the 508 is a single tuner DVR.

Not going to be happy if I have to swap out the 522 and loose what I have recorded on it or the 508 as the newer mordels do not fit in the cabinet in the RV we use it in :<

Hard to know if this is worth it without knowing what channels we are missing.

HD Not On 61.5

Out of curiosity, I did a quick scan of 72.7 and 61.5. I'd say this list is 85-90% accurate.

HD Channels NOT on 61.5

BBC America
AMC
Encore
Epix 1
Fox Soccer
Galavision
HDNet
HDNMovies
HD Theater
History International
Indieplex
NatGeo Wild
Retroplex
Shorts
Showtime (all but one)
Starz
Syfy
TruTv
TNT
Cook

More than I had thought. And remember, this list will grow. For my viewing, at least seven I would not want to be without.

cpdretired said:
I received a letter from the Dish upgrade unit. They came out and replaced a 501 with a 612. Installed a new antenna & switch. This was at no cost or increase in the monthly bill. The 211 & 622 were not replaced. I'm on the western arc. Give them a call. I bet they will install something at no cost to you.

Other than forcing you to sign up for 2 more years?

Called DISH this morning. They said they needed to replace the 522 and 508 receivers and wanted to set up an appointment for an installer to come out. It wasn't until I pressed the phone rep asking about the dish that is pointing to 61.5 that she mentioned that yes the installer would either reoint or replace the dish when they brought the equipement out.

I pointed out that we are in the middle of winter and that there is 5 feet of snow where the installer would have to plant a ladder to reach the dish so this wouldhave to wait for Spring. I then asked that since any recordings I record between now and then would be lost, could they simply ship me the equipment for me to install now and wait until the Spring for the antenna. Told this wasn't possible. Not sure I understand why they can't do this - they are making an change and I am paying the price. (lost of recordings in the next 2 - 3 months that I may want to keep).

Time to escalate or go to DTV I guess.

either repoint the dish or replace with the 1000.4

Well, it sounds like they want to do a whole house upgrade to HD/EA. I'd go for it if I were you. You might see if the installer will do the receiver swap now and the EA dish installation later. (But I don't know what policy is on such an installation/upgrade.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts