Got a new toy (projector) - Panasonic PT-AE2000U

sampatterson

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Marietta, GA
The projector (Panasonic PT-AE500U) in our master bedroom lamp burnt out, so I instead of just buying a replacement lamp for it, I decided to upgrade to a newer 1080p model. What a huge difference a couple years of technology changes make. The new model PT-AE2000U is soooooo much brighter than my old one, and the increase of resolution makes everything crisp and clear. It has 3 hdmi 1.3 and the advanced color handling, 2 component inputs, etc. It also support 1080p 50,60 and 24 refresh rates over both component and hdmi ports. It's built in scaler is pretty good, not as good as the one in my FD-HD1 Pioneer Elite Plasma, but still, really good for a projector of this price. Focus and Zoom can be done via the remote now, instead of manually on the 500, which is also a plus. It also has "lens" shift so you can place the projector 40% off center for the picture and adjust the lens instead of having to use keystone (which lowers the effective resolution). The fan sound between the 500 and the 2000 is remarkable. The 500 was very quiet and never really heard it while watching, the new one is even quieter. (eg I can't hear it at all). I watched the "Deadliest Catch" on Discovery HD last night. AMAZING picture!

I read some reviews on this before buying and for the price (< $2400), a good investment for a great picture and a wonderful picture straight out of the box. If you have a light controlled room (like our bedroom) it is perfect. I am going to calibrate it this weekend and the advanced controls let me control just about every aspect of the picture.

My old projector, a workhorse who's lamp lasted for nearly 8000 hours, got a new lamp and will now get a home in the master bedroom of our house in Mexico.

Last edited:
Congrats on the purchase! The AE2000u looks to be a very good unit. It's on my short list when my HD70 decides to quit. Front projection is one luxury I really feel like I get my money's worth from. Cinema video + cinema audio is an experience hard to match any other way at home. How are you going to calibrate? Are you using a disk or a Colorvision Spyder?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)