not getting receiver to acknowledge dts signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ozzy1028

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2007
I never really messed with knowing what signal I was getting on my pioneer receiver until just recently. For some reason i cant get it to show (or aknowledge) that the signal im sending it is DTS . The manual says that the dts should light up when a dts track is being fed to the receiver. The receiver does support DTS ES and 96/24 khz Dolby Digital EX, Dolby Digital and D Pro Logic II. No matter what I do I cannot get it to recognize the signal. The most recent movie I tried to get it to recognize is The Devils Rejects which has a Dts Es audio track. Even though im not using the additional speaker(s) that the dts es needs, shouldnt I still be getting the dts light on. Also, it does show that i'm getting a digital signal, just no dts light.

Make sure your source component (I'm assuming it's a DVD player) is set to output a DTS signal somewhere in the player's setup options. I know most Sony DVD players have to be told to output a DTS signal even if you select it on whatever software's audio options. EDIT: I also assume your disc player is connected to your receiver via toslink, digital coaxial, or HDMI, right?

Yes, the ps3 and hd dvd players are both connected via optical cables. After reading the manual for my receiver online I see I may need to change the optical setting to dvd. It states that the default setting is tv. It also states that if using an optical connection to refer to digital input settings to assign the optical input to dvd. If that doesnt work ill make sure everything is fine on the player settings. Thanks

Along with audio routing (or mapping as mentioned above) you also may have to tell the PS3 (or other DVD players) what mode to output the audio; PCM or Bitstream (X-pref).

Bitstream: Select “Bitstream” if you connect the
DVD Player’s DIGITAL OUT jack to an Amplifier or
other equipment with a Dolby Digital, DTS or
MPEG decoder.

PCM (for Dolby Digital / MPEG): Select when
connected to a two-channel digital stereo amplifier.
DVDs encoded in Dolby Digital, DTS or MPEG will
be automatically downmixed to two-channel PCM
audio.

In some case you may need to check the freq as well.

Sample Freq. (Frequency)
If your Receiver or Amplifier is NOT capable of
handling 96 kHz signals, select 48 kHz. so your
system can decode them.

If your Receiver or Amplifier is capable of handling 96
kHz signals, select 96 kHz. When this choice is made,
this unit passes each type of signal through without
any further processing.
Check the documentation for your Amplifier to verify
its capabilities.

ok, i managed to get the receiver to detect the dts and dolby digital by setting the PS3 to bitstream instead of PCM, man what a sound difference. The problem now is the hd dvd player. Not detecting the dts or dolby digital the way it should. Set it just like the PS3 at bitstream instead of pcm.

If you are using the optical out on the HD-A2, set
SPDIF to "Bitstream" and HDMI Audio to "Downmix PCM."

Tried the following. Still cannot get the hd dvd player to detect the correct audio signal. I tried Hulk, which is a dolby digital signal, but its telling me its a dts signal. Not having this problem on the ps3 now. It switches from dolby digital to dts depending on the movie and the soundtrack i select. I also tried troy which is a dolby digital track but it still says dts for some reason. Im confuzzled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)