Got Adelphia. May god have mercy on my soul!!!!!

lostcause

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 22, 2004
For the love of god, why voom, why?!!?!?!? I'm not a religious man, but as of today I believe I'm going to start praying for a miracle.

Got adelphia installed today. Everything was fine except the InHD channels didn't come in. The installer didn't know squat about programming so he said I would have to call the 866 number on the screen to have them fix it.

I called. Within 1 minute I was quickly reminded why I hate adelphia so much and still have nightmares about my last experience with them years ago.

Anyways, everything starts out fine. I explain to her I have the Ultimate package with the HD Plus tier which should include InHD1 and inHD2. So, she confirms I have everything, then proceeds to tell me that the reason inHDs aren't coming in is because they are PPV channels. I was like, :confused: ?!?!? Anyways, I swear we had at least a 15 minute conversation that sounded like

Me: They're not ppv channels. They are included in the HD Plus tier.

Her: No. They are ppv channels. They have special events and movies and such that you can order via PPV. The HD Plus tier just gives you the option of ordering the ppv events in HD.

Me: I'm looking on your website and it says they are included in the HDPlus tier. Aside from this, I know for a fact that inHD are NOT ppv channels.

Her: I'm sure they are.

Me: I'm sure you're wrong. Please check again.

Her: I know I'm right. They are ppv channels.

Me: I'm telling you, they are not and it even says so on your very own website!!!!!!

Her: Yes they are.

Me: No they're not

Her: Yes they are

Me: NO THEY'RE NOT!!!! Now please go check with someone else. :mad: :mad:

Her: Sir, I'm telling you the indemand channels are ppv

And on and on for AT LEAST 15 minutes. (is your head spinning yet? Imagine how I felt...)

Finally I got fed up and said

Me: Ok fine. In that case I'd like to order the world poker tour that starts at 7:00.

Her: Ok, go to the channel and you can order it from there.

Me: Ok, I'm on the channel. Now what?

Her: You should have an option to order it.

Me: It says that to activate this channel I need to call the 866 number I called. So, I did what it said, now please order the world poker tour for me.

Her: hrmmm...uhhhh.....well.....can you hold for a second?

(leaves me on hold for about 10 minutes)

Her: Umm...sir?? Uhhh......I apologize...you were right.

Me: Thrilling....now can you please just fix it????

What would have happened had I not known that inHD is not a ppv channel? Imagine how many people are out there that would not have known that the CSR had less than no clue WTF she was talking about??

Now, I know all companies have their problems, but goddamit I've had adelphia for less than 2 hours and already I'm pissed at them. This is not a good start.

Why voom, why?!?!?!?!

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I just had to vent. That is all.....

Is it possible that InHD shows up on the Adelphia CSR's screen as "In Demand" (the company that runs the channels). I could *maybe* understand the confusion if this were the case... but for a CSR to insist on something for 15 minutes without checking it certainly is frustrating.

CDH.

You scared the sh*t out of me about order adelphia. And in my area they show on 3 HD channels available and no locals.

LMAO....LOST...not laughing at you...but with you because on 5/02...that is when I GET Adelphia..my GOD have mercy on my soul!!! Thank you for the MORE than ample and early warning!

I do have to say though, the HD channels I've looked at so far seem to have as good or even slightly better PQ than voom's channels. I'll have to give it a more thorough comparison over the weekend though.

Ha...F'ing...Ha Ha...now that's funny! I'm sorry, but your story once again reminded me of how much I hate Adelphia after the years I have suffered dealing with these knucleheads at all levels of their organization: from the CSRs, to the Headend Engineer, to their District Manager. At all levels I knew more about their products, promotions, technology and operations than they did...and I'm just a end user :confused:

Funny thing is I never fully left them because they are the only broadband provider in the area now I'm back to them because (very sadly) they are the best HD provider option out there. Let's go D*, E* and Verizon TV!!!

Don't worry guys, cuz I've had a similar experience with convincing the Time Warner CSRs that knew what I was talking about... I think everyone is being reminded of additional reasons why they opted out of using their old cable or satellite provider beyond that of simply Voom having the most HD.

adelphia sucks especially here in ohio, it took them almost 7 years to get the e channel on, i even had a tech tell me that 2-70 was digital, and i said you are full of crap those are analog, just because i have a digital cable box or high def rec, those chennels are analog not digital, couldnt tell him nothing, so i told him i didnt want the service, disconnect it while youre here take your equipment back, and get out of my house, now!!! thats why i didnt go back to them, they wanted 30.00 service call just to turn it back on, no on demand channels, and still dont have no dvr's, thats why i went with dishnetwork this time, i know those channels are all digital.

Did any of you guys get any promotion discounts from Adelphia? What did programming Price come out to? I think i am just going to call adelphia tomorrow and order but just wanna see if they offered you any promotions that i might be able to throw at the CSR when they tell me another outrageous quote.. Called them only once a couple weeks ago and got a quote of almost $160.00 for The Ultimate Package "Thats all the channels and 4mb Internet service", and of course a HD-DVR and a regular digital receiver for my bedroom. And i almost said ok but the dude threw in at the tail end of the conversation, oh and Sir your going to have to pay $39.99 for our guy to activate the switch outside and also $19.99 per outlet that needs to get actived.. Which i have 2 that need to be activated so another $80.00, come on for the price i am about to pay don't you think they could waive install fees JESUS! I just purchased this house 8 months ago and its BRAND NEW and anyways i have a ton of cable outputs all over the house.. WHY CANT THEY JUST ACTIVATE THE WHOLE HOUSE instead of being Scam artists and charge for every outlet??? HuRRRYYYY UP VERiZON i am ready to sign up already, but like everyone else i want HD channels and adelphia is the best option at the current moment unfortunately and ThaNK GOD they don't make u lock into a contract!

Adelphia is not bad in Charles Town WV.

I've got two Moto 6412 DVR's and one Moto HD Box.

I get all of the DC HD Locals (4) plus - HDNet, HDNet movies, INHD 1, INHD2, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, NFL HD, SHO HD, HBO HD, MAX HD, Starz HD. The Quality is also very good on all Digital and HD channels.

The installer said that our area had a new upgraded system that has been very stable, thats why we have all of these channels.

Wayne

springsguy, the deal I got ended up being 81.00/mo for all channels and an HD-DVR. Install was 9.95 which I thought was fair considering all the guy did was connect the coax outside. I wouldn't let him touch my tv or any of my gear. I just told him to connect the cable outside and I connected the rest.

I think my rate is based on a 20 or 25.00 discount for 11 months. I'll have a detailed breakdown when I get my first bill.

Keep in mind that their pricing varies from one region to another so it may be higher or lower depending on where you are. I think I'm in one of the most expensive areas.

dishroamer, you have a lot more HD there than we do here. Including locals and premiums like HBO, I get a whopping 12 HD channels, and as you see above, I went through hell to get two of them activated.

It's not so much that adelphia is bad, but well.....actually yeah, it IS that adelphia is bad. They are consistently rated the worst cable company in the US, and they even acknowledge it on their own website!!!! No company is perfect and they all have clueless CSRs but it seems that adelphia has a higher ratio of problems:customers and more clueless idiots running things.

lostcause said:
Finally I got fed up and said

Me: Ok fine. In that case I'd like to order the world poker tour that starts at 7:00.

Her: Ok, go to the channel and you can order it from there.

Me: Ok, I'm on the channel. Now what?

Her: You should have an option to order it.

Me: It says that to activate this channel I need to call the 866 number I called. So, I did what it said, now please order the world poker tour for me.

Her: hrmmm...uhhhh.....well.....can you hold for a second?

(leaves me on hold for about 10 minutes)

Her: Umm...sir?? Uhhh......I apologize...you were right.

Me: Thrilling....now can you please just fix it????

LMAO, this cracked me up! I couldn't do better myself....
You're da man!

I'm in Los Angeles which is divided between TWC and Adelphia. I unfortunately live in an Adelphia area in the San Fernando Valley. They don't have ANY HD available here :no - and this is supposedly the entertainment capital of the world. It just astounds me how far behind they are in my area. They are a nonstarter here for anyone with HD desires.

Dish Roamer said:
Adelphia is not bad in Charles Town WV.

I've got two Moto 6412 DVR's and one Moto HD Box.

I get all of the DC HD Locals (4) plus - HDNet, HDNet movies, INHD 1, INHD2, ESPN HD, ESPN2 HD, NFL HD, SHO HD, HBO HD, MAX HD, Starz HD. The Quality is also very good on all Digital and HD channels.

The installer said that our area had a new upgraded system that has been very stable, thats why we have all of these channels.

Wayne

It is no surprise. I had the same problem when I first inquired about INHD (on Cablevision). The CSR tried to tell me that it was a PPV channe. Of course, he was confusing it with the ON Demand channels. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I guess he confirmed first and came back and said, "Sir, you were right". I do not have Cablevision anymore but it was an identical story. They are so fixed in selling ON DEMAND channels that they do not know what their own company offers.

warkovision said:
I'm in Los Angeles which is divided between TWC and Adelphia. I unfortunately live in an Adelphia area in the San Fernando Valley. They don't have ANY HD available here :no - and this is supposedly the entertainment capital of the world. It just astounds me how far behind they are in my area. They are a nonstarter here for anyone with HD desires.

I have a friend that lives in Sherman Oaks in the San Fernando Valley. He has Adelphia and receives the following HD channels:

902 CBS KCBS (HD) High Definition TV
904 NBC KNBC (HD) High Definition TV
907 ABC KABC (HD) High Definition TV
911 FOX KTTV (HD) High Definition TV
928 PBS KCET (HD) High Definition TV
930 DISC HD Discovery HD High Definition TV
939 ESPN HD ESPN HD High Definition TV
961 HBO HD HBO HD High Definition TV
963 MAX-HD Cinemax HD High Definition TV
971 SHO HD Showtime HD High Definition TV

Seems weird that you do not receive them. I live in Northern Idaho (small hick town) and receive the following HD channels:

702 CBS HD High Definintion Broadcast HD (High Definition)
704 NBC HD High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
706 ABC HD High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
712 PBS HD High Definition Broadcast HD (High Definition)
728 DISC HD Discovery HD Broadcast HD (High Definition)
750 HD HBO HD (High Definition)
751 HD SHOWTIME Showtime HD Cinemax HD (High Definition)
752 HD STARZ Starz HD Starz HD (High Definition)
754 HD NET
755 HDN MOVIES
756 INHD1 iNDemand HD
757 INHD2 iNDemand HD
760 ESPN HD ESPN HD

The service from Adelphia has been great. If you have any problems, they're out the next day. They just bumped my high speed internet service to 6mbps. The fastest in the country. And the dual tuner HD DVR is fantastic. The only complaint I have about Adelphia is their pricing. They seem to keep it a secret until you talk to a CSR. They need to disclose the exact pricing per package on their web site. The quality of the HD picture is as good as Voom. All other channels are digital, so they are watchable (similar to the quality of Dish). Other things I like are no unsightly ugly dish, no comittment, and no huge upfront fees for their HD DVR. The first week of May I'm having the Voom dish taken down and those two ugly "trailer park" antennas on my roof taken off. Voom will only be a memory.

I had an Adelphia installation yesterday too. Other than the technician showing up late, I had no other problems. InHD, HDNet, ESPN2 and all other HD channels (15-16 that I subscribe to with my Silver package) are coming in just fine. The HD PQ is very good (currently using component), but I do get occasional pixelation in quick action scenes: worse than on VOOM. I am very pleased with the HD-DVR so far (I will post more details about it in our Cable forum once I play with it a bit more). My biggest surprise was the PQ of digital SD channels. It varies from channel to channel, but on average it is rather good! Less compressed (not so washed-out) as on VOOM and other DBS. I think I can live with that for now.

cool. How did you manage 15-16 HD channels? I got the full package and I think I only have like 12 HD channels.

lostcause said:
cool. How did you manage 15-16 HD channels? I got the full package and I think I only have like 12 HD channels.
We have 18 HD channels total in our area including 5 local, 1 PPV Events and NFL HD (currently no HD on these two ;))

Here is the list:

703 WKYC HD
704 WOIO HD
705 WEWS HD
708 WJW HD
710 WVIZ HD
750 HD HBO (with HBO pack only)
751 HD SHOWTIME (with ShowTime pack only)
752 HD STARZ (with Starz pack only)
753 HD CINEMAX (with Cinemax pack only)
770 HDNet
771 HDNet MOVIES
772 ESPN HD
773 ESPN2 HD
774 INHD1
775 INHD2
776 Discovery HD
778 NFL HD
799 HD PPV Events

keno said:
I have a friend that lives in Sherman Oaks in the San Fernando Valley. He has Adelphia and receives the following HD channels:

902 CBS KCBS (HD) High Definition TV
904 NBC KNBC (HD) High Definition TV
907 ABC KABC (HD) High Definition TV
911 FOX KTTV (HD) High Definition TV
928 PBS KCET (HD) High Definition TV
930 DISC HD Discovery HD High Definition TV
939 ESPN HD ESPN HD High Definition TV
961 HBO HD HBO HD High Definition TV
963 MAX-HD Cinemax HD High Definition TV
971 SHO HD Showtime HD High Definition TV

Seems weird that you do not receive them. I live in Northern Idaho (small hick town) and receive the following HD channels:

You know, if that's true, I can't explain it. I live right next to Sherman Oaks in Van Nuys. I have to believe that the main office on Oxnard Street near Sepulveda has to be the one for both areas, yet I've been in that office on three separate occasions in the last year (a week ago most recently) and they have told me every time that HD is not available in my area. When I had Adelphia out to disconnect my cable after Voom got HGTV and FOOD, the service guy knodded sympathetically when I said that Adelphia is nowhere for folks with HDTV because they don't offer any. But he did say their cable modem system had some of the fastest internet speeds you could get anywhere. Go figure.