Got installed today!

Wired

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 17, 2006
Thanks for the info provided by members of these forums!

I have a couple more questions.

1. The installer said he had to use two 500 dishes - is this normal?
2. I ordered a second dvr for upstairs (a hd dvr for downstairs) but the installer said his order only listed one receiver for two TV's - is this normal?
3. The 199 I paid to dish for the hd dvr does not mean I own the receiver?

I get a $20 per month discount for the HD but I also saw reference to a 10 (100 total) rebate for qualifying programming - anyone know anything about this?

1. depending on your location, this can be normal.

2. dish messes up on the orders all the time. this is normal.

3. with dish, you have to pay 200 bucks for the privelage of leasing the receiver.

Thanks...
So the receiver isnt mine, but if it dies, i have to pay for a new one?

Ok, I just checked my online account and I dont understand the charges...

DHA DISHHD SILVER AND MOVIE VALUE PAK W/ LOCALS 169.98 - I have no idea how this is so high! i chose hd silver and local chans with dvr thats it.
DISH NETWORK DVR SERVICEFEE 11.96 - they only installed on dvr.
PICKPREM 1&2 OF 3 - ADJUSTMENT -23.0 - not sure what this means? i chose 2 premiums but when ordered gave me one free for 3mths.
LEASE EQUIPMENT UPGRADE 199.99

I just worked it out using their dish builder again! hurts charging me for a month in advance and the 200 bucks for the box...

Thanks! and yes, i was a little shocked!

It should be $53.50 x 2 = $107 though...

(HD silver $59.99 -$20 for 10mths = $39.99)
(Locals $5)
(HBO & Starz $20 -$11.50 for 3mths = $8.50)

The Movie Pack adds $20/month, so add that to the $53. They may have thrown in the charge for STARZ, and that's what the adjustment is for.

Fact is, when you have a DVR and a Movie Pack, I think that HD-Platinum is a better deal. You get all the movie packages, and they waive the DVR fee.

Look at my working out though, its 39.99 + 5.00 + 8.50 for the movies - total 53.50

Wired said:
Thanks for the info provided by members of these forums!

I have a couple more questions.

1. The installer said he had to use two 500 dishes - is this normal?
2. I ordered a second dvr for upstairs (a hd dvr for downstairs) but the installer said his order only listed one receiver for two TV's - is this normal?
3. The 199 I paid to dish for the hd dvr does not mean I own the receiver?

I get a $20 per month discount for the HD but I also saw reference to a 10 (100 total) rebate for qualifying programming - anyone know anything about this?

1. For your HD you either needed a Dish 1000 (which picks up all 3 sats needed - 110,119,129) or two Dish 500s (one aimed at the 119 & 110 and the other aimed at the 129 sat). By using the two Dish 500s, it does allow the installer to get a higher signal for you from the 129 sat. With the Dish 1000, the best he could have done was a sat 129 signal in the 70 - 80 range.

2. If you only have two rooms hooked-up, this is correct. Sounds like you got a 622 HD DVR receiver. TV1 is considered your HD TV and can be hooked-up in numerous ways, while your upstairs TV is the "backfeed" from the TV2 output on the back of the receiver. I always tell the customer when they ask about this to look at it as "one box with both the receivers built into it.".

Wired said:
Look at my working out though, its 39.99 + 5.00 + 8.50 for the movies - total 53.50
Your net bill should be $59.48/month ($53.50 + $5.98 dvr). Dish is charging you a net of $79.47 -- a difference of $20.

Dish does not credit you with the $20/month promotional rebate automatically. I recently upgraded from the mpeg2 HD to the mpeg4 622 and the platinum package. There was a form on the Dish website that I had to complete to get a $10/month for 10 month rebate on the HD package. This form needs to be mailed with your bill to the address shown, as proof of your programming, to get the rebate. It may start showing up as a credit on your bill several weeks after you send it in. The same form is for new customers ($20/month for 10 months) as well.

Check it out on the Dish website...