Got my TR-40CRA today.

Seems to me it was quick planned plot:
- 1st - attract by no cost converter
- 2nd - delay sells
- 3rd - introduce SAME device under different name for +$20
- 4th - counting when our coupons will expire, then
- 5th step - fan out the f&%$&% TR-40CRA !

As promised, here are my pictures:

So can someone with a DTVPal compare the board in it with what we are seeing as the board inside the TR-40? The big question is the tuner. It has been rumored that the TR-40 has a different tuner than the DTVPal. Given that the DTVPal has the MicroTune MT2131 silicon tuner, which is reportedly less sensitive than tuners in most competitor's STBs, it would be very informative to know if the tuner in the TR-40 is different and, therefore, perhaps even superior to its more expensive stablemate.

So can someone with a DTVPal compare the board in it with what we are seeing as the board inside the TR-40? The big question is the tuner. It has been rumored that the TR-40 has a different tuner than the DTVPal. Given that the DTVPal has the MicroTune MT2131 silicon tuner, which is reportedly less sensitive than tuners in most competitor's STBs, it would be very informative to know if the tuner in the TR-40 is different and, therefore, perhaps even superior to its more expensive stablemate.
Post#17 above.

Carl is probably thinking of the DTVpal Plus, which reputedly does have a silicon tuner.

I'm looking for the comparison between the two E* tuners currently available on the Dish Network website. The $69.99 DTVPal Plus and the $39.99 TR-40 CRA. I already know that the basic DTVPal and the TR-40 CRA are basically the same STBs since the Dish Network website FAQ says so.

If the TR-40 CRA in fact has a Thompson tuner, then ironically it may have a better tuner than the DTVPal Plus, which has the MicroTune MT2131 silicon tuner. While E* touts the DTVPal Plus as having the better tuner, other sites and other evaluators have noted that the MicroTune tuner is less sensitive than those in many of the other available CECBs; particularly less than the Zenith DTT901 or the Channel Master CM-7000.

So I guess that what I'm looking for now is confirmation that the tuner in the TR-40 CRA is a Thomson DTT76850.

sensitivity might not be all it's cracked up to be. I have noticed that with a higher sensitivity tuner, I can scan and it will show/add stations that I can not view. If I tune to that station I can see the signal meter jump up to around 55/60 for a split second. then it drops back down to 0. since it's there for a little while the scan finds it, but I sure can't see nothin.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)